what's going on-Marvin Gaye

67498.gif

Bigga said:
Ok! LOL!!!

Ffs, of course, it's your opinion, you big nappy wearing tw@! I'm actually trying to induce you into to having an intellectual discussion! What...? Intelle... Oh, for fu...! I-N-T-E-L-L-E-C... Yeeah, that's right, well done!

Let me rephrase, just for Bwig Bwee Tee...

Is it the TOPICS sung about? Is it the PRODUCTION? Is it the style of MUSIC?

What...?
Trying to prove you're more intellectual over the internet is hard to pull off and all I'll say is that I'm a WUM apparently that pisses people off. You however through a few people on here are looked down as being thick and dull but that's for another day.

I don't have to go into all the technical stuff as I am giving my opinion on how the album sounds now years on after its release.

I have already stated my opinion and that's it. It's a good album but not a great one IMO.

Are you satisfied now as the more you keep moaning then the more you look like a silly little boy.

You'll be back with the insults for sure.

Originally released in 1971, WHAT'S GOING ON remains a landmark album, one that redefined music with powerful, anthemicsongs that remain pertinent to this day. Before WHAT'S GOING ON, R&B albums were collections of singles, with secondary"filler" material rounding out the LPs. Marvin Gaye changedall this by releasing a concept album that went beyond the usual boy-meets-girl scenario, weaving together an aural collage of societal ills. "Crime is increasing/Trigger-happy policing", from "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)", is as potent a line today as it was over 20 years ago, and withthe country still divided over the Vietnam War, the title track became a rallying cry for peace.
Dark, mercurial, and jazzy, WHAT'S GOING ON was as radical musically as it was conceptually. Layered with lush orchestrations, heavenly background vocals, and loose, fiercely grooving arrangements, WHAT'S GOING ON so surpassed anything previously known as soul music that it virtually reinvented the genre. The criticaland commercial success of Gaye's opus also enabled other artists to break free from the creative shackles imposed by Motown and other companies, and to experience more autonomy inmusical and thematic expression, thereby changing the industry. In short, the musical and historical significance of WHAT'S GOING ON cannot be overestimated; it was Gaye's masterpiece, and still stands as one of the greatest soul albums of all time.

malkie said:
Originally released in 1971, WHAT'S GOING ON remains a landmark album, one that redefined music with powerful, anthemicsongs that remain pertinent to this day. Before WHAT'S GOING ON, R&B albums were collections of singles, with secondary"filler" material rounding out the LPs. Marvin Gaye changedall this by releasing a concept album that went beyond the usual boy-meets-girl scenario, weaving together an aural collage of societal ills. "Crime is increasing/Trigger-happy policing", from "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)", is as potent a line today as it was over 20 years ago, and withthe country still divided over the Vietnam War, the title track became a rallying cry for peace.
Dark, mercurial, and jazzy, WHAT'S GOING ON was as radical musically as it was conceptually. Layered with lush orchestrations, heavenly background vocals, and loose, fiercely grooving arrangements, WHAT'S GOING ON so surpassed anything previously known as soul music that it virtually reinvented the genre. The criticaland commercial success of Gaye's opus also enabled other artists to break free from the creative shackles imposed by Motown and other companies, and to experience more autonomy inmusical and thematic expression, thereby changing the industry. In short, the musical and historical significance of WHAT'S GOING ON cannot be overestimated; it was Gaye's masterpiece, and still stands as one of the greatest soul albums of all time.

Nay, nay and THRICE nay, Malkie!!!

Nooo...

It's 'overrated' and 'dated', don't ye knoo...

Bigga said:
malkie said:

Nay, nay and THRICE nay, Malkie!!!

Nooo...

It's 'overrated' and 'dated', don't ye knoo...
Once again for you little fella...................IMO.

Bigga said:
Ooo touchy!

You couldn't tell what a good album is, unless you've been told it's a good album by the masses.

In my opinion.
I like what I like and if it appears in the latest 'Greatest albums list' then so what, big deal.

I don't give a fuck if it's 'uncool' to like Jackson now but I feel happy that you once had a Jehri Curl AND the Thriller album.

I had a 'jehri curl'??? Think your mistaking me for Easy E, fella!

'Thriller' was the last decent album Wacko made... Before he re-shaped his face again!

In the 80's, I heard one song from Marvin, "Sexual Healing", that made me sit up and listen. I was 16, just going out to buy my own musical tastes, Hip Hop at that time. One day, I was in Sifters and came across the 'What's Going On' album, never knowing the man had done anything of any note. I was struck by the poise and seriousness the photos held.

I went home and played that album and was moved to tears. No album had ever done that before or since. Words to relate to, personal pain to witness, drowned by emotion and sound. I was brought down, uplifted and warned about life of the now and ahead. The man got a LOT off his chest that he'd wanted to for at least 5 years. Don't believe he visited that place again and didn't need to.

It still speaks volumes. That's why I KNOW it's not dated.

In. My. Opinion.

I can explain that, but you can't/ won't explain your position. It was a reasonable question!

Maybe everyone should answer you in the same way as you have me. 'Just an opinion'. You took a question and turned into persecution.

How sad.

Bigga said:
I had a 'jehri curl'??? Think your mistaking me for Easy E, fella!

'Thriller' was the last decent album Wacko made... Before he re-shaped his face again!

In the 80's, I heard one song from Marvin, "Sexual Healing", that made me sit up and listen. I was 16, just going out to buy my own musical tastes, Hip Hop at that time. One day, I was in Sifters and came across the 'What's Going On' album, never knowing the man had done anything of any note. I was struck by the poise and seriousness the photos held.

I went home and played that album and was moved to tears. No album had ever done that before or since. Words to relate to, personal pain to witness, drowned by emotion and sound. I was brought down, uplifted and warned about life of the now and ahead. The man got a LOT off his chest that he'd wanted to for at least 5 years. Don't believe he visited that place again and didn't need to.

It still speaks volumes. That's why I KNOW it's not dated.

In. My. Opinion.

I can explain that, but you can't/ won't explain your position. It was a reasonable question!

Maybe everyone should answer you in the same way as you have me. 'Just an opinion'. You took a question and turned into persecution.

How sad.
You've given your opinion and I gave mine, end.

BTâ„¢ said:
stonerblue said:
BTâ„¢ said:
Bigga said:
Ok, Darren. To your (obviously limited) knowledge, what exactly has 'aged' on that Marvin Gaye album?

And please don't mention the use of flute or bongos...!

Also it was YOU that mention soul albums and 'love' in the same context, when no one else did. Since when did Luther ever do a social commentary album?!! The very notion is ridiculous!
Thanks for the insult again.

The question was asked in the first post Best soul album ever??. I decided to add that I didn't think it was the best soul album ever and said what I thought was.

You have commented on here before that if a poster has a view then no one should attack them for it so I suggest you listen to your own advice and chill out.

Oh and for the record, Paul Young's cover of Wherever I Lay My Hat shits all over Gaye's version. De Niro will back me up on that as he knows his soul music.

hahahahaha. you crack me up.
A lot of people feel the same. You're permanently stoned so I forgive you Whitey.

what's this 'Whitey' shit ??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.