Where do people think we sit in terms of club football and the top squads in the world?

Did you read the thread title?
I did. But as I mentioned I was referring to how you can compare where we sit with the top squads in terms of each squad's starting 11 (which would speak to a sole game we would play with them) or coaching, bench, etc. that can speak to strengths in an entirely different spectrum.

I did. But as I mentioned I was referring to how you can compare where we sit with the top squads in terms of each squad's starting 11 (which would speak to a sole game we would play with them) or coaching, bench, etc. that can speak to strengths in an entirely different spectrum.

Well the thread title says 'squads', yet you called somebody out for talking about how weak Barca's squad is outside the first XI. In this sole game we play with them, how do they guarantee that all of their first XI are fit and free from suspension?

Well the thread title says 'squads', yet you called somebody out for talking about how weak Barca's squad is outside the first XI. In this sole game we play with them, how do they guarantee that all of their first XI are fit and free from suspension?
You can't guarantee. I guess I should've mentioned it as a hypothetical.

Right, here's my opinion on the 9 clubs you mention above.

Barca - undoubtedly the best team in the world.
Real - still ahead of us, but other than Ronaldo I don't see their squad being that much better than us, they are definitely in decline.
Munich - still ahead of us, they just have more experience in big games, we'll catch them soon enough.
Chelsea - they were ahead of us last year by quite a distance, but a poor transfer window for them has shown, we dominated them 3-0, it could have been 5/6 ahead at half time!
Athletico - they have some good technical players and arguably the best manager in the world (despite playing boring football), but they aren't the team they were 2 years ago, to many good players have left - I think we're ahead of them.
Chelsea - they got mentioned twice in your list
PSG - Really good team, I'd say they are 'just' ahead of us because they don't have any domestic competition.
Juventus - absolutely no chance are they ahead of us now. last season, maybe, but they've lost 3 of their 4 best players and domestic competition has improved.
Dortmund - No Klopp, no champions league football, no Lewandowski - they are no where near the Dortmund of 2013 and arguing they're ahead of us is laughable, there are at least 4 teams ahead of them in Germany alone!

I think a lot of City fans forget that in the last 2 seasons we've been in a group with Bayern and faced Barca in the round of 16. Juventus last year had a group of Athletico, Olympiakos and Malmo (they finished second), they beat the poorest Dortmund team we've seen in half a decade to reach the quarters, where they beat a Monaco side that finished 12 points behind PSG - they qualified for the final after having the game of their lives vs Madrid - then played Barca in the final and got outclassed on every front - and people think they had some incredible team that was miles ahead of ours etc - they didn't they just got lucky one season.
good post apart from that part in bold. I think Dortmund will certainly come in the top two in the Bundesliga this season.

I do believe we now have a squad of genuine quality and depth the equal of any in Europe. Much has been made of our problems of previous Euro campaigns and maybe we were a little short in depth and got caught out , but this team is only going to get better as they gel, as almost every position is covered by two quality players. I think we have a squad strong enough to compete and cope both domestically and in Europe , I have always wondered how well Barca or any of the other top European clubs would cope playing in our Premier League and also in Europe , it seems to me that because of the leagues they compete in there squad depth can be less than we need. Also this team/squad in my opinion is the most exciting I have ever seen in over 40 years of watching City.

Ronaldo and Bale dive enough for their entire team. Pepe will take a dive right after he assaults an opposition player (or sometimes his own), and he'll get away with both!

That said, you're right that there's a greater crackdown on physical play in the Champions League and we can't get away with as much as we do in the Premier League.

To be honest, I rarely watch the Spain sides other than during Champions League. So I don't see nearly the amount of diving. Every time I watch Barca play, they dive like there is money on the ground.

One thing that I have seen but don't understand when I have watched RM play in league, if somebody dives against them, their players go to the guy rolling on the ground and poke them around the eyes. Usually on the forehead. What the heck is that about?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.