Which position is the least urgent priority?

We definitely need a quality left and right back. This left back position has been weak for decades and its time we got someone in who's real quality. With Zab leaving we'll either need a back up for Sagna or someone who will be automatic first choice.

I agree, left back has been an issue for some time, but for me it's been the systems that have fucked the left back over. Clichy is very good left back.

Since the takeover Hughes played no natural left sided attacker. Mancini had Barry do two mans work which was fine as Toure was like two men too. Silva or Nasri usually played left and badly isolated the left back.
On to Pellegrini, he used Silva & Nasri in much the same way. Again isolating the full back but with no left sided central midfielder either.
Toure dwindling to just less than one Man let alone two.

Start of last season, Sterling was on fire, working tirelessly for the team and Kolarov looked outstanding.

Navas has helped Sagna and Zabaleta a lot, Milner before him.

I do agree, left back needs improving but a stable consistent system will help any player.

I actually think Left back and striker are our least essential positions to improve this season.

Last edited:
This only works if the young players are as good as Pogba and Messi though, or at least as good as Fernandinho and Sterling and Sagna anyway. We cannot afford to have a weaker team for the sake of giving someone a chance. The way to find out if they're good enough is to loan them out to another Prem side or a decent foreign team, let them get mistakes out of their system and cost someone else points.

We're going to have such a fight for the title this season with the rags now they've got Mourinho and Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan, we only just pipped them last season, if we weaken we'll fuck it up. We need to buy proven quality players better than what we currently have.

Whilst I agree to an extent, it's not necessarily the case that better individuals mean a better squad. It's everyone's go to example at the moment but take Leicester for example; not the best bunch of individuals but one hell of a squad.

I'm not saying we should throw a bid on the table for Danny Drinkwater and I definitely do think we need a handful of players who will directly improve the first team. However, those spots in our squad filled with less motivated, seasoned veterans could be taken by young players desperate to make an impression and win their first real silverwear.

If they have the talent, of course. I'm not one for knowing who is and isn't ready for that step up but, rather than having Pogba's or Messi's ability, there's a lot to be said for the eager and hungry mentality of young players keeping the senior players on their toes.

Of course, maybe none of our youngsters are ready for that step up at this moment but then I would have had my doubts about Iheanacho at this time last year.

I agree, left back has been an issue for some time, but for me it's been the systems that have fucked the left back over Clichy is very good left back.

Since the takeover Hughes played no natural left sided attacker. Mancini had Barry do two mans work which was fine as Toure was like two men too. Silva or Nasri usually played left and badly isolated the left back.
On to Pellegrini, he used Silva & Nasri in much the same way. Again slating the full back but with not left sided midfielder either.
Toure dwindling to just less than one Man let alone two.

Start of last season, Sterling was on fire, working tirelessly for the team and Kolarov looked outstanding.

Navas has helped Sagna and Zabaleta a lot, Milner before him.

I do agree, left back needs improving but a stable consistent system will help any player.

I actually think Left back and striker are our least essential positions to improve this season.

This. Clichy isn't the issue, the problem is our left side is continually targeted by the opposition because there our midfielders offer little to no defensive cover. I'm hoping Pep will address this as he has done at Barca and Bayern - where the team's shape adapts and shifts to when it has the ball and when it doesn't. Central defenders and midfielders will need to shuttle wider to cover when the wing-backs bomb forward etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.