Who else is Wembleyed out?

I've stopped doing semi-finals. Apart from the very first time against United, I've never really enjoyed semi-finals at wembley. actually find it lessens the enjoyment from the final itself by going there twice within about a month. Semi's shouldn't be at wembley, nor should they be able to charge the prices they do, the £30 cap should also apply for the cup. I'd actually be far more inclined to go if the semi final was at a different venue. As it is I'm skipping the semi final, I'll of course be at the final should we make it, if not, I've not missed out on anything.

I've stopped doing semi-finals. Apart from the very first time against United, I've never really enjoyed semi-finals at wembley. actually find it lessens the enjoyment from the final itself by going there twice within about a month. Semi's shouldn't be at wembley, nor should they be able to charge the prices they do, the £30 cap should also apply for the cup. I'd actually be far more inclined to go if the semi final was at a different venue. As it is I'm skipping the semi final, I'll of course be at the final should we make it, if not, I've not missed out on anything.
Very good post. I'll be honest, the brilliant day out in 2011 for the semi-final actually destroyed the Stoke final for me. I think the circumstances of beating United took so much away from being there a month later. I can remember an emotional full-time whistle as the 35-year drought finally came to an end, but the day itself just didn't feel half as special as it should have done. 93:20 almost felt like the real end of the barren era. It's not that we're tired of FA Cup semi-finals; it's that we're lamenting the overuse of the national stadium which we want to feel special.

Prices aren’t extortionate compared to any other ground. And certainty wouldn’t be cheaper if they moved them elsewhere.

If you ignore level 2, the rest of the prices are probably cheaper on average than a league match at City. And are certainly cheaper than City would charge for a cup semi final.

I would never go to Anfield for a semi. A total dump and surrounded by scrotesI had lots of hassle at the recent match and will never go there again. Shit for transport and unfriendly locals who try to rip you off or rob you.

TBH the Anfield area is no different to the Wembley area, bar the bars and restaurants around Wembley. At least you've got the waterfront and city centre bars in Liverpool. And a 45 minute journey home.

Sadly there are the 17000 club Wembley for starters and then the stupid “friends of the FA” who would get tickets wherever it was played. I remember as a kid my Dad who helped our local u13 team won first prize in the end of season local league raffle - 2 tickets for the Final Spurs v QPR. He gave them back and swapped for the second prize - a bottle of whisky. Long story short nobody wanted them but every year the local league got the 2 tickets. Total joke

Yes, the FA do dish FA Cup final tickets out to FA association members as a reward instead of giving more tickets to both clubs in the final. It's an absolute joke. And something the FA won't consider changing, even in 2024. Considering it's the national stadium, there isn't much national in 17000 club Wembley seats being sold to anyone who can afford those ticket prices.

The thread proves that there is nothing many football supporters like more than a good moan.

My first game was in 1963 with City heading for relegation. City came nowhere near Wembley until 1969. I went there four times in the 13 years from 1963 to 1976. I had moved to Coventry by 1981 and while I did get a ticket for the SF at Villa Park I was unable to go the final(s).

It was a long time before City were at Wembley again, if you discount the Chelsea Full Members Cup match. Now people are moaning that City are there too often.

Anyone who does not want to go to a game or category of matches is no problem but moaning about this on here seems like 'whipping up apathy'.

I think the semi's being there has devalued it somewhat. Plus the fact even if we have a 'disastrous' season in some peoples eyes we may still play there once or twice. We're certainly spoilt in that respect.

TBH the Anfield area is no different to the Wembley area, bar the bars and restaurants around Wembley. At least you've got the waterfront and city centre bars in Liverpool. And a 45 minute journey home.
That's if your cars still there or your coach has windows.

Reactions: jrb
You have all of central London and lots of leafy suburbs with great pubs and great transport to Wembley. There are lots of eating places in the Wembley shopping centre. I know Liverpool very well and most of the city-centre is shite, especially on a Sunday afternoon. The immediate area around Anfield is one of the worst districts in Europe.

You have all of central London and lots of leafy suburbs with great pubs and great transport to Wembley. There are lots of eating places in the Wembley shopping centre. I know Liverpool very well and most of the city-centre is shite, especially on a Sunday afternoon. The immediate area around Anfield is one of the worst districts in Europe.

Unless you stay over, you aren’t doing those areas. That was one of the arguments when the FA and the Government decided the new national stadium would be located at Wembley instead of being located in the Midlands close to Birmingham, where most football fans wanted the new national stadium located. Can you imagine the FA bigwigs having to traipse to Birmingham and back to London for a cup final and an England international. Not a chance they were going to do that or to let that happen.

The FA argued as part of it’s Wembley PR exercise that fans could stay and have a look around London as part of the day, when in reality we all know the fir vast majority of fans it will be coach, car, and train there and back after the match.

Even the most basic hotels are costing over £100 a night in central London now, plus tickets, travel, food and drink, so it’s understandable why most fans don’t stay over night for a semi-final with a possible final is to come.

Liverpool city centre isn’t shite. I’ve been there plenty of times myself. Anfield is shite, bar a few pubs around the ground there’s nothing there. I’d be more than happy to get in and out of Anfield after a FA Cup semi-final win and have a proper day out in London for the FA Cup final, which is what is should be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.