Who is the player you have been most gutted about leaving city?

Like many of my vintage that period around 78-80 when the heart was ripped out of our top 4 club - Saw Barnes, Owen, Hartford, Tueart, Watson, Doyle all leave, absolutely devastating & still baffling now, I actually stopped following us in a teenage strop for a few months until the start of the 80-81 season & pretended to support Stockport, even though I lived in Whalley Range?!

Remember going to WBA after Gary Owen and Peter Barnes had gone there and bumped into Gary and he said he was gutted about leaving and he would never forgive Allison.
We lost 4-0 and it was so bad seeing them play against us.

Was there any particular reason he sold Gary Owen? I got the impression he sold a lot of the older players because they wouldn't put up with him - and I can understand selling Peter Barnes if you didn't want to play with a winger (bit like Keegan and Mark Kennedy) but Owen, as a fairly young lad at the time and an intelligent player, looks like Mal's kind of player. Was it to generate purchase funds (a la Steve McKenzie in 1981) or because Gary is (or may be - I dunno) a lad who makes his voice heard?

I think he just wanted to build his own team and Gary obviously didn't meet the criteria.
He got some good young players in the team but seriously needs to keep some of the older players to help guide them.
Bond got 3 in very quickly and good players they were. Bobby Mac, Tommy Hutch and Gerry Gow.
Would have loved to see Gary and Barnsey in that team too.

I think he just wanted to build his own team and Gary obviously didn't meet the criteria.
He got some good young players in the team but seriously needs to keep some of the older players to help guide them.
Bond got 3 in very quickly and good players they were. Bobby Mac, Tommy Hutch and Gerry Gow.
Would have loved to see Gary and Barnsey in that team too.

Any thoughts why Gary didn't meet the criteria? I think he would have been important in 79/80 if he'd been kept as we lacked aggression in midfield. Personality clash? Or football reasons/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.