Who's the greatest ?

Yaya.

I grew up watching Colin Bell but Yaya has the greater footballing ability. Both have great but differing physical attributes. Yaya's record on deciding big moments in the club's history, that we've all seen listed many times, really helps to push him out front; and, that, allied to his greater all round ability, puts him ahead of Silva, who is undoubtedly the most aesthetically pleasing footballer in terms of playing style that I have ever seen.

Silva and I don't think it's even close. The single most underrated PL player of my lifetime. He's the single one player you take him out of our lineup and it goes to shit. Even Pep knows this.

Seen it debated plenty, but not sure I've ever seen a thread on the subject: who's the best player to grace the City shirt?

Only saw Colin Bell after his return from injury, when, I'm told, he was the shadow of his former self; but in terms of players you've seen in the flesh who's the best to wear the sky blue?

For me, as a player, it's Yaya. That doesn't mean I respect or admire him as much as David or Sergio; on that score they piss all over him, but in term of contribution on the pitch, it's got to be the big fella, if only by a hair's breadth.

Who's your greatest City player of all time?
tevez hardest worker
Dave most easy on the eye and floats like a butterfly
Yay a match winner.

Silva for me if he had scored more goals .so have to plump for Colin as i think he has been more consistent .Ya Ya could have been the best if he didnt blow hot or cold .like Silva on his day he is unstopable .it a privalage to have seen all three of them

Ya ya, when it mattered, he delivered. An absolute beast in his prime. What we would have won without him, who knows? Not much i suggest. I still think it may have been the death of his brother that led him into the 'weird' period , as well as the nob of an agent.

Silva/Yaya. I can't separate them. I was too young to fully appreciate Bell, but a couple of years ago, BT did a series on City and played many matches from the 70's before Bell's injury. From what I could see both Yaya and Silva were well ahead of him...

It's also difficult to compare players from different era's too...

Seen it debated plenty, but not sure I've ever seen a thread on the subject: who's the best player to grace the City shirt?

Only saw Colin Bell after his return from injury, when, I'm told, he was the shadow of his former self; but in terms of players you've seen in the flesh who's the best to wear the sky blue?

For me, as a player, it's Yaya. That doesn't mean I respect or admire him as much as David or Sergio; on that score they piss all over him, but in term of contribution on the pitch, it's got to be the big fella, if only by a hair's breadth.

Who's your greatest City player of all time?
It was a truly horrific injury - burst blood vessels, several ligaments torn and a massively swollen knee. Colin came back (god knows how) with limited movement and played at full back. From what I've read, even with today's medical technology, there would be no guarantee of proper ligament repairs - the damage was so bad. Colin never believed that Martin Buchan deliberately set out to harm him, but Buchan never got in touch with him to see how he was - something that hurt him.

How good was Colin ? Box-to-box - used to run further than any other player in the league, but he had rapid pace as well. Think of the Yaya surge, now think of a smaller version of him making that surge numerous times in every game. Supremely skilled, good in the air and with a shot as powerful as the Peter Lorimers of the league. With a tiny number of exceptions, hardly any players of the 60s and 70s would be suited to today's game - good players yes, but generally not as athletic as they are now despite extensive training. If we could travel in time and relocate Colin to today's Prem, he would be equally as good. Like Martin Peters (the late arriving/ghost into the box midfielder from 66), he was ahead of his time. He would be as vital to the current City team as he was in the 60s and 70s.

I saw him play for a City Legends V ICI over 35s team twenty-odd years ago close up. The King would have been in his late 40s at the time. He was pinging the ball 40, 50 and 60 yards to Peter Barnes with unbelievable consistent accuracy without being able to flex his knee properly. Generally, a shy bloke who shunned the limelight.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.