Why do vets charge so much?

My border terrier is 10 now and she’s starting to cost us a few quid. She’s got diabetes and we’re in the process of getting her insulin levels correct.

It’s proving to be a tricky process and we’ve also had conflicting information off the vets (x2) about how best to go about monitoring her.

With regards the money. I did have a bit of a go at my wife as her and the mother in law fuss and mollycoddle Veronica so much that I was starting to think that they were looking for problems. Countless visits to the vets about her being lethargic etc and at £35 a pop it had become a monthly bill of an easy £70 a month. Not that much I suppose but when you’re thinking it could be an unnecessary expense, it’s that what led to me questioning it. I was told in no uncertain terms by both the wife and mother in law to shut up about the money as if she’s not right, then she’s not right. As it happens they were right as her having diabetes is obviously a major health concern.

Veronica also used to have fits. She’d go into a strange, stiff mode where she couldn’t control her legs. If stood up, she’d just fall over and you’d have to just hold her until she came out of it. She’d be shaking and look terrified. She had epilepsy. After countless consultations and trials with medication, she no longer has these fits, well she hasn’t had one for about 3 years now so all is good in that respect. Special food, medication, consultations all cost a pretty penny and although we had pet insurance, at one point her policy was near £90 a month. Once the epilepsy was under control we went for a cheaper policy. Think it’s aroubd £30 a month. But we’ve always banked money to cover any issues if needed. Luckily the diabetes is covered so her insulin etc we can claim for.

I’ve always been a bit more rough (can’t think of another word) with her. I’ll play fight with her, take her on longer, more challenging walks and in general let her off the lead to do whatever it is she wants whilst out. Where the wife and mother in law, like I say mollycoddle her.

I think that Veronica has been the best £500 we’ve ever spent though. She’s a fucking mint little dog and despite having epilepsy and now diabetes she’s the happiest little thing. Father in law passed away about 4 years ago. Now Veronica is mine and my wife’s dog but the bond that the mother in law has with Veronica is unreal. She now virtually lives at her grandmas (which is just around the corner from us) due to the fact that my mother in law gets so much enjoyment out of looking after Veronica.

Dogs and pets in general can bring so much happiness and enjoyment that vets, although pricey are worth their weight in gold. Get your pet insured and maybe have a little pet fund of say £5 a week (less than 2 pints) for any unexpected issues that may arise. After 4 years of that £5 a week you’ll have over a grand to help and if insured you can make a claim anyway.

I’m off sick today, gonna pop round grandmas and play with my dog for an hour.
Sorry to hear about your dog's diabetes. I've been dealing with this since last April. At first I was loosing sleep over having to inject mine twice a day. The insulin dose has gradually risen over that time which is perfectly normal. Mine has a fructosamine test every month until stabilised and then every 3 or 6 months. If there are any clinical signs of hypoglycaemia/hyperglycaemia we go back to monthly until stabilised. I don't go for glucose curves as they need to be in all day and mine hates the Vets so this is pointless unless they are relaxed, I don't prick their ear and test at home and I wouldn't use keysticks for checking for keytones in the dog's urine because they will always be keytones in even a healthy dog's urine.
I would advise Royal Canin gastro wet food in tins which is very good for diabetic dogs and it still gives them enough energy, which some low carb/low fat foods don't give. Remember no main meal without insulin and no insulin without a main meal. Split the daily amount into two meals and give before injection (within an hour) 12 hours apart. I do 10am and 10pm. My dog was a grazer with his food before but over a few weeks he soon adjusted to his new meal regime.
For treats (which is the hardest thing to cut out if you're used to treating), nothing you can buy from Nestle/pedigree/bakers from the supermarket is any good for diabetic dogs. Avoid these like the plague, like human processed food - they are loaded with hidden sugars; molasses, glucose, fructose, inverted corn syrups. There is a mountain of evidence implicating the big brands in actually contributing to the rise in diabetes in dogs (10 years ago 1 in 500 had it, now it's 1 in 200, on the rise like in us humans). I have tried pretty much everything out there and the 3 treats I can give in moderation are;
Lily's kitchen snack bars (all 3 flavours)
https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/products/dog/dog-treats/item/snack-bar-bundle-all-flavours-3-x-36g
They can be fed as a meal in an emergency if your dog won't eat their main meal and you need to inject their insulin.
Lily's only uses natural ingredients, no added shite - think organic for humans.
Royal Canin Educ dog treats
http://www.waitrosepet.com/dog/adva...VC7gbCh3XnAIfEAQYAyABEgLRSPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I use these instead of traditional small treats which can be used for rewards throughout the day.
Venidog pure venison chew sticks
http://www.venidog.com/pure-venison-chew-sticks.html
These are good to give a protein hit between meals, your dog will benefit from some protein for energy. Venison is low fat, fat causes the depletion of insulin and puts strain on the pancreas, which is what has caused the diabetes in the first place.
I also give a small plate of skinless chicken breast (oven roasted) as a reward straight after the injection - don't give to much as you need them hungryish in 12 hours for their next meal/jab. Also monitor the water intake, excessive water intake can be polydipsia which is a sign of problems with blood sugar levels. Basically the dog needs insulin to break down food for energy, because the pancreas has stopped producing insulin your dog becomes starving so it drinks shit loads of water trying to compensate the hunger. Mine lost 16% of their body weight due to this.
Get all the family to stop feeding titbits, it won't help at all. The only human food mine has is the chicken breasts, a bit of lean mince or steak or lamb and eggs. Nothing else whatsoever, give them the treats I suggested if you feel tight on them.
Stick to the same routine, same short walk times (2 per day). No big walks, they decrease blood sugar, high temperatures deplete blood sugar, stress and anxiety does the same. I've not had a day off from this since diagnosis. Up early, walkies, food, needle, rinse, repeat.
Remember to warm the insulin before administering as it stings the dog when too cold. I prepare the syringe first with the correct dose and then swirl it very gently in my fingers/hand using my body heat to warm it gradually. Once the insulin begins to separate again, the insulin (if you use the caninsulin brand) is ready, my mrs holds his neck at the front with the chicken ready to be given, I lift the skin across the shoulders and inject. Stay about an inch or two either side from the spine, don't do it in the neck, there are too many nerve endings in this area. And rotate the injection area, I do right (of the spine) at night and left in the morning to ease painful areas through repeated injections. Also make sure the angled bit of the needle is pointing upwards so the longest part of the point goes into the skin first. Just like on this picture.
HTB1.0NEGXXXXXb8apXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

Good luck mate, remember you are keeping the dog alive with this, it can be hard at times but you're in it now for the rest of dog's life, it's better to get into a healthy routine so life can get back to as normal as it is ever gonna be. If you need anything else PM me, I'd be happy to help. I also found some general stuff about this on here:
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/
;-)
I've changed vets as well, until I was happy with the relationship.

Sorry to hear about your dog's diabetes. I've been dealing with this since last April. At first I was loosing sleep over having to inject mine twice a day. The insulin dose has gradually risen over that time which is perfectly normal. Mine has a fructosamine test every month until stabilised and then every 3 or 6 months. If there are any clinical signs of hypoglycaemia/hyperglycaemia we go back to monthly until stabilised. I don't go for glucose curves as they need to be in all day and mine hates the Vets so this is pointless unless they are relaxed, I don't prick their ear and test at home and I wouldn't use keysticks for checking for keytones in the dog's urine because they will always be keytones in even a healthy dog's urine.
I would advise Royal Canin gastro wet food in tins which is very good for diabetic dogs and it still gives them enough energy, which some low carb/low fat foods don't give. Remember no main meal without insulin and no insulin without a main meal. Split the daily amount into two meals and give before injection (within an hour) 12 hours apart. I do 10am and 10pm. My dog was a grazer with his food before but over a few weeks he soon adjusted to his new meal regime.
For treats (which is the hardest thing to cut out if you're used to treating), nothing you can buy from Nestle/pedigree/bakers from the supermarket is any good for diabetic dogs. Avoid these like the plague, like human processed food - they are loaded with hidden sugars; molasses, glucose, fructose, inverted corn syrups. There is a mountain of evidence implicating the big brands in actually contributing to the rise in diabetes in dogs (10 years ago 1 in 500 had it, now it's 1 in 200, on the rise like in us humans). I have tried pretty much everything out there and the 3 treats I can give in moderation are;
Lily's kitchen snack bars (all 3 flavours)
https://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/products/dog/dog-treats/item/snack-bar-bundle-all-flavours-3-x-36g
They can be fed as a meal in an emergency if your dog won't eat their main meal and you need to inject their insulin.
Lily's only uses natural ingredients, no added shite - think organic for humans.
Royal Canin Educ dog treats
http://www.waitrosepet.com/dog/adva...VC7gbCh3XnAIfEAQYAyABEgLRSPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I use these instead of traditional small treats which can be used for rewards throughout the day.
Venidog pure venison chew sticks
http://www.venidog.com/pure-venison-chew-sticks.html
These are good to give a protein hit between meals, your dog will benefit from some protein for energy. Venison is low fat, fat causes the depletion of insulin and puts strain on the pancreas, which is what has caused the diabetes in the first place.
I also give a small plate of skinless chicken breast (oven roasted) as a reward straight after the injection - don't give to much as you need them hungryish in 12 hours for their next meal/jab. Also monitor the water intake, excessive water intake can be polydipsia which is a sign of problems with blood sugar levels. Basically the dog needs insulin to break down food for energy, because the pancreas has stopped producing insulin your dog becomes starving so it drinks shit loads of water trying to compensate the hunger. Mine lost 16% of their body weight due to this.
Get all the family to stop feeding titbits, it won't help at all. The only human food mine has is the chicken breasts, a bit of lean mince or steak or lamb and eggs. Nothing else whatsoever, give them the treats I suggested if you feel tight on them.
Stick to the same routine, same short walk times (2 per day). No big walks, they decrease blood sugar, high temperatures deplete blood sugar, stress and anxiety does the same. I've not had a day off from this since diagnosis. Up early, walkies, food, needle, rinse, repeat.
Remember to warm the insulin before administering as it stings the dog when too cold. I prepare the syringe first with the correct dose and then swirl it very gently in my fingers/hand using my body heat to warm it gradually. Once the insulin begins to separate again, the insulin (if you use the caninsulin brand) is ready, my mrs holds his neck at the front with the chicken ready to be given, I lift the skin across the shoulders and inject. Stay about an inch or two either side from the spine, don't do it in the neck, there are too many nerve endings in this area. And rotate the injection area, I do right (of the spine) at night and left in the morning to ease painful areas through repeated injections. Also make sure the angled bit of the needle is pointing upwards so the longest part of the point goes into the skin first. Just like on this picture.
HTB1.0NEGXXXXXb8apXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

Good luck mate, remember you are keeping the dog alive with this, it can be hard at times but you're in it now for the rest of dog's life, it's better to get into a healthy routine so life can get back to as normal as it is ever gonna be. If you need anything else PM me, I'd be happy to help. I also found some general stuff about this on here:
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/
;-)
I've changed vets as well, until I was happy with the relationship.

Loads of good info in that post mate. Cheers for that.

Titbits are out of her diet completely, this was one thing that was very difficult to monitor due to the amount of people she spends time with but all the family have knuckled down in that respect because as you say, it’s keeping her alive.

7am and 7pm are her strict meal times. Also short walks now as opposed to the ones we used to enjoy.

Loads of good info in that post mate. Cheers for that.

Titbits are out of her diet completely, this was one thing that was very difficult to monitor due to the amount of people she spends time with but all the family have knuckled down in that respect because as you say, it’s keeping her alive.

7am and 7pm are her strict meal times. Also short walks now as opposed to the ones we used to enjoy.
Nice one mate. I always remind myself that some people have this to deal with, and worse, with their children.

Nice one mate. I always remind myself that some people have this to deal with, and worse, with their children.

True but at least they can talk and describe how they’re feeling.

Our dog was just drinking a shit load of water and constantly tired. This went on for ages as we weren’t to know that she had a really bad medical condition. Luckily she’s absolutely adored by my mother in law and it was her that convinced us that something wasn’t right. After her being on the insulin now since September she’s 100 times better. Back happy but also quite frustrated when one of us goes to her cupboard as she’s no longer allowed the chews or treats she once had.

All this talk of you cant put a price on your pets happiness...well yes...yes you can.

I have just gotten a kitten about a month ago, and if i was told i had to pay over a grand for a scan etc, well that just isn't going to happen. I have grown up with cats and love them to bits but im not bankrupting myself to own a cat.

I always get special food for my cat online,i would never by that from the vets

Funny you should say that Karen. The reason I started this thread was that my eldest cats back legs are going. Looked it up(as you do)and one of the first things I read was regarding the food the vet provides(P.S. Not for my case in general). Plenty of people said 'don't use vet food'

Funny you should say that Karen. The reason I started this thread was that my eldest cats back legs are going. Looked it up(as you do)and one of the first things I read was regarding the food the vet provides(P.S. Not for my case in general). Plenty of people said 'don't use vet food'
Try "yumove" for arthritis/joint problems. I'm sure they do it for cats. It's practically given my dog his mobility back.

It has to be a ten-year-old Ka, CB!

I think that people don't realise that 'medicine' is a bloody expensive business, and there are plenty within it, like law, who strive to maintain the status quo. I've no problem with it. They've studied, sacrificed, made do for years, and now they get their desserts, just or otherwise. The fact that the NHS has this 'free at the point of whatever', gives people an idea that stuff to get you and yer dog better should be just a few quid, a couple of pints or a packet of fags.
Dead right! ;)

By the way Taxi many thanks for your 'new Tv thread' a few months ago me and the Mrs are enjoying our LGOLED65B7 thanks to your research

Happy to hear pal.We believe we made the right choice with our OLED too.
Everyones different which is why so much technology abounds but for our money the futures bright the futures OLED.
Hopefully a ten year tennure with our new pal to even out the costs.
The colours on the ultra hd broadcasts are frighteningly good.
All the best mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.