Why haven’t Manchester City become the "super club" they should be?

The article, itself, isn't as bad as I was expecting and I agree with a number of the points. I do think that successful sides need a nasty streak which we don't have. That, however, seems to be a conscious choice that we have to live with.

What the article doesn't mention, although ironically reeking of it, is the negative coverage verging on outright antipathy we have received from the press. The article never mentions that, since 2010, we have emerged from nowhere to become the pre-eminent English side. It fails to mention that we have had to overcome a negative coefficient in the Champions League which is designed to, and does, hamper clubs trying to break into the super-club bracket. Nevertheless, we were semi-finalists only last year.

It's no wonder we can't increase our social media presence when our media coverage (for which, read "advertising"), like the article, is unremittingly focused on the negatives.

With the influx of the TV money the league has become far more competitive and when you add in all the european games the bigger teams have to play it becomes somewhat of a leveller (which is why i think that better teams not in europe have done so well over the last few seasons)

It has been a race to the bottom in the Premiership. It is only competitive because of the poor standard of the top sides.

Chelsea have hit 87 points already in this league so they have clearly not found it competitive. The English side are all out of European competition highlighting the gap between the top sides and those in England.

Guardiola never wanted the job at the time and that is why he never ended up here. He wanted a break and then agreed to go to Bayern even though we had been in contact about managing us.
He took a break because we eventually caved in to Mancini and left him high and dry with nowhere to go. Had we told Mancini that he was free to take up the offer from Monaco I believe Pep would have taken the job.

But that is secondary to the club taking their eye off the ball. But maybe they did that knowing we'd be standing still for a while.

Since the investment 9 years ago City have won the PL twice. Twice in nine years is something Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal,
etc; would gladly accept, don't forget what these clubs have spent before and after this period without achieving that.
Plus, PL money is equalising the league season upon season, this wasn't the case when the Rags were hoovering up titles,
for the simple fact they had more money, paid the players more, and have a worldwide fan base.
Despite that, the Rags, with the dearest squad in history, and the 'Special once' manager, are not about to win it anytime soon,
whilst City are once again, favourites for next season.

Financial Fair Play, biased refereeing, turgid and overtly negative media coverage, football governing bodies protecting the status quo.

When considering all the factors conspired against us, what we have achieved is nothing short of remarkable.

He took a break because we eventually caved in to Mancini and left him high and dry with nowhere to go. Had we told Mancini that he was free to take up the offer from Monaco I believe Pep would have taken the job.

But that is secondary to the club taking their eye off the ball. But maybe they did that knowing we'd be standing still for a while.

It's fair enough you believe that but from memory conflicts with what was written in his book. He wanted a year off and wanted to go to Bayern. No shame in that Bayern were a great side at the time and there was a buzz around German football at that time.

To answer the topic title question...

We should NOT be anything.
I don't expect anything from supporting City.
It's my club and that's that... And I'm sure many Blues feel the same.

We should be world beaters?
Hell no...

The business men behind the club expect financial results and to which they are getting them (as I'm lead to believe)

Yes I want my club to be successful, but it isn't expected... Doesn't matter if we bought Messi and Neymar tomorrow... Nothing is guaranteed!!

Fair comment that. Of all the European clubs I really admire the way Juventus and a lesser extent Athletico Madrid go about their business, Juventus in a failing league appear to find value in the transfer market every season from older players to young players ready to make an impression in the game.

Clubs like Juventus that we have a huge competitive advantage over financially and yet we are light years behind them still. Commercially you are correct we are a longer way behind them off the field for club recognition etc but on the field the gap should be a lot smaller and that is due to our failed recruitment policy.

Yes, Juventus and Atletico Madrid are quite canny in the way they attract players, though the former is blessed by being the dominant player in a still attractive destination; Italian football also seems conducive to extending the careers of players who might be considered too long in the tooth for England.

I think, however, that there's always a danger of comparing ourselves with whoever is finding success at that particular time. In that sense, I tend to see PSG as our 'benchmark', a club with similar ambitions but which has also found it hard to remain on an upward trajectory.

As long as the club is financially healthy and they do the best to rep the fans and club history as they should I'm not worried. Rome wasn't built in a day.

If we win today, we've been the best PL side in terms of points amassed since we won the league in 2012.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.