Will we have learnt from the previous mistakes?

Mancini sanctioned what went on in 2012, especially the players we sold. He tried to scapegoat it as a reason for our piss-poor title defence which is what seen him out the door. Pep is a far superior manager in terms of motivating players and identifying quality players so there’s no chance he will take us backwards. I wouldn’t worry.
Sorry, but that is unadulterated bollocks. Mancini never, ever in a million years asked for the likes of Rodwell, Sinclair etc. Ever. He wanted one or two stellar signings (Cavani, RVP, de Rossi, Hazard) as he knew that would maintain what we’d done and we could build on it. And we gave him a bag of shite.

Just a word of warning.....please don't allow this topic to deteriorate into a thread that re-opens old wounds and ultimately descends into abuse.

It will be pulled.

Much appreciated,ta.

Simple thing is Pep knows what players are needed to play to his style, not only that but he also makes sure the players he signs are there to play for the club. It was reported back when he was at Barcelona That Pep doesn't go for the same player twice in 2 summer windows, he was reported saying if a player truly wants to play for the club then he will sign the first time round.

Pep wants his players not only to have ability, but that hunger and desire that he had as a player on and off the pitch, as well as top level professionalism. The reason why he took to Kompany so much was because of these characteristics, and its that reason why he took a disliking to Hart.

He won't make rash purchases like Mancini and Pellegrini made, and he also will have a long list of players he will want, not with the intention of buying them all, but to avoid being forced into a long battle to sign a specific player.

I find it funny that people go on about Mancini's poor title defense we did finish 2nd united Chelsea and Leicester all manged to drop out of the champions league after winning the league in recent years and I think that just goes to show how hard it is to keep momentum going and would suggest that its not a problem unique to us, I guess the biggest thing is if Pep signs a new contract, if he doesn't next year is going to turn into something of a circus

I find it funny that people go on about Mancini's poor title defense we did finish 2nd united Chelsea and Leicester all manged to drop out of the champions league after winning the league in recent years and I think that just goes to show how hard it is to keep momentum going and would suggest that its not a problem unique to us, I guess the biggest thing is if Pep signs a new contract, if he doesn't next year is going to turn into something of a circus

I agree with you on Pep needing to sign a new contract this summer. One thing that most people overlook is how hard it is to do business during World Cup years. Teams go after players that dominate in the world cup. Prices as we all know are crazy ever since the Neymar transaction. They were nuts before, but that blew the roof off. Can you guys imagine how much money a guy who has a world cup like James Rodriguez had last time? Yes he was at Monaco and people knew about him, but 80 million Euro sure didn't get them much.

City is in a great position. A young squad that has depth at almost every position. Yaya is gone, we don't know about Vinny's status. Pretty much everybody else is locked in. Sure somebody could come up and make an offer for one of our players that is beyond silly and we have to take it, but I really don't know where the improvement areas will need to come from. Obviously Pep feels he needs another winger, so maybe we still go after one of those and a left back in case Mendy is damaged goods. Maybe a long term replacement for Fernandinho (replaces Yaya). And if Kompany moves on, we are in the market for another center back as we need 4 on the roster with the work load.

I truly believe that the buying the last two summers has been in order to not only improve the team, but to not have to be a big spenders in this upcoming off season due to the world cup. Maybe as many as four players, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a couple.

I think it’s mostly a hunger thing. You’ve seen the drop off at Chelsea but also ourselves after cup wins (though manager issues compounded the situation for both clubs). It’s probably hard to raise yourself to the same level of motivation to win the season after winning. Ferguson always referenced this and it was easily his greatest strength - part of that was his ability to keep players on edge; either through signing replacements or hairdryer treatment. And that’s why some of the earlier posters referencing stinging players to compete and not be backup is key. Signing an understudy to our front three isn’t going to push them. Signing a competitor to them is. We have that competition at CB (and arguably LB) already. Maffeo would add that to RB. Fred provides it to Fernandinho. And you’d expect Silva and KDB to deliver the goods week in week out regardless.

Overall the transfer strategy in January/Summer should be enough to keep everyone on their toes. I’m confident we will post similar numbers next year points wise and it will come down to whether anybody else in the league can step up to make it competitive.

Assuming that we will win the PL title, do you think we will have learnt from the previous mistakes in order to mount a proper title defence for the first time?

After the 2012 win, many supported Mancini's stance that we should have strengthened the squad with VVD, DDR, Hazard etc and we ended up with Rodwell, Garcia (although crucial 2014), Sinclair etc.

Similar things happened after 2014 where we saw contract extensions to Kolarov and Nasri for example, which seemed logical at the time, but ultimately led to an aging squad with limited hunger, with three straight seasons where we haven't been close to the title.

It indeed looks good with a young, talented squad, Pep at the helm, and not many positions where there are question marks. However, we now have the possibility to put a marker down for a long time to come, and make a super strong squad even better, and aim for years with endless trophies to come.

Question is, will we do it and have we learnt? What do you think?
Don't think Pep has made those mistakes before.

Mistakes can be made with signings, and the test is then how do you deal with it and what can you learn from it.

The case of Ballotelli comes to mind.

Can't people just celebrate and be happy for this season. It seems like some city fans are in search of negative, if there is not now so for longer perspective. Jesus!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.