Windows 10 - BSOD

hi Karen
how old is this laptop? I only mention this as you say your using a wireless dongle
does it not have wireless built in?
apologies if ive misread

if you are indeed talking about the onboard built in wireless adapter then I know there are issues with Broadcom products.

if yours is a Broadcom then you need to totally uninstall the driver and related programs and like others have said get the very latest
It is a newish Acer laptop with built in wireless,i have no idea what i'm doing to get it back to windows 8 without losing all my saved passwords and favourites,i don't use it except for backup and streaming games.There is an option to revert back to windows 8 but only for a month and it's past that now.Having read cleavers post it is going to have to go into the shop but i have trust issues with that and don't want to have to delete all my saved passwords first,i'm mulling it over

I take it you cant remember some or all of your passwords?
what I would do if I were you without tech advice.

goto every site/ program that's needs passwords and goto settings/preferences
change passwords and write them down
search google for location of favs in Microsoft edge (its a hidden folder)
do the same with internet explorer 11, I'm guessing your only using ie11
copy them to a usb drive or summat
reinstall win 8 with factory image built into laptop
usually done by selecting one of the F keys at bootup (just google laptop name and model "restore to factory settings")
if you get that far we will help you get favs back to their rightful place

its a ballache I know but its definitely doable

hope this helps

Having read cleavers post it is going to have to go into the shop but i have trust issues with that and don't want to have to delete all my saved passwords first,i'm mulling it over
I use firefox as my browser, but I'm sure Ie8 has the same function, find your passwords, then take screen shots of each page, save them to a file you can easily open, I used PowerPoint, then save them to a disk or cloud, or print them off, that was the easy bit.

I had loads of extra applications, some I rarely use (but didn't want to lose), that I had purchased, so if you have similar, make sure you can access your confirmation emails for these, if they're only on your machine, then setup a hotmail account or similar, and send them there. When you then re-install, you still have access to the various keys you need, this was a major ballache for me, but I've no idea if you have any/many, so it might not be so bad.

I'm still finding stuff now, 2 months on, that I want to use, but have lost, so I have to reinstall, but when I do I have all the things I need stored separately.

Windows 10 is probably the biggest ballache I've had in all my time using computers (a long time), and almost everyone I know has had some issue or other with it, many are fine with the odd issue, some not, but the only real solution, is to buy a new machine that was designed to use it (or find another operating system than windows, so you don't get shafted by them again).

I take it you cant remember some or all of your passwords?
what I would do if I were you without tech advice.

goto every site/ program that's needs passwords and goto settings/preferences
change passwords and write them down
search google for location of favs in Microsoft edge (its a hidden folder)
do the same with internet explorer 11, I'm guessing your only using ie11
copy them to a usb drive or summat
reinstall win 8 with factory image built into laptop
usually done by selecting one of the F keys at bootup (just google laptop name and model "restore to factory settings")
if you get that far we will help you get favs back to their rightful place

its a ballache I know but its definitely doable

hope this helps
Thank you lovely,i'm still thinking about what to do

I use firefox as my browser, but I'm sure Ie8 has the same function, find your passwords, then take screen shots of each page, save them to a file you can easily open, I used PowerPoint, then save them to a disk or cloud, or print them off, that was the easy bit.

I had loads of extra applications, some I rarely use (but didn't want to lose), that I had purchased, so if you have similar, make sure you can access your confirmation emails for these, if they're only on your machine, then setup a hotmail account or similar, and send them there. When you then re-install, you still have access to the various keys you need, this was a major ballache for me, but I've no idea if you have any/many, so it might not be so bad.

I'm still finding stuff now, 2 months on, that I want to use, but have lost, so I have to reinstall, but when I do I have all the things I need stored separately.

Windows 10 is probably the biggest ballache I've had in all my time using computers (a long time), and almost everyone I know has had some issue or other with it, many are fine with the odd issue, some not, but the only real solution, is to buy a new machine that was designed to use it (or find another operating system than windows, so you don't get shafted by them again).
Thanks for the advice,i have very basic needs,don't download music or watch anything except city games,funnily enough windows 10 plays feeds better although it's a pain it won't recognise adblocker.I find my screen freezes a lot and i get stuck on pages on here which is just what i need being on here all day so i'm hoping my small acer with windows 7 and no real probs holds out for a while longer

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.