'Wow' Moments in Video Games

Johnsonontheleft

I'm not looking for a list of great computer games - instead, those moments where you've gone 'wow'. It doesn't happen very often, most games these days are sequels of franchises which offer little innovation. Here's a few for me:

Duke Nukem - this was the first FPS I played and I was blown away by the 3d graphics and the gore

Goldeneye N64 - there was a moment when I shot a bottle on a table and it shattered, leaving a bullet hole in the wall. At the time that was unseen in games.

ISS - just the perfect football game of it's day, scoring a goal in this game was almost orgasmic

Carmageddon - the freedom of this game was astounding, you could stray from the track and drive through an American football pitch.

Call of Duty - the ghillie suit level for some reason. I'd never seen anything like that before.

GTA 3 - seeing that open world gameplay for the first time

Zelda Ocarina of Time - the bit where you got to the large field and you could actually walk to the castle in the distance. First game I played where the sun set and rose.

What was that one which recreated the D-Day landings? That level was unbelievable at the time.

Not sure if its a "wow" moment like the descriptions in the posts above, but I always remember the first time seeing the dogs jumping through the window in resident evil on the ps1 - I think the first and only time I actually jumped and almost shat myself while playing a video game

foetus said:
GTA 3 as you've said

Red Dead Redemption
- crossing into Mexico for the first time. The scenery and soundtrack
- the ending (won't give away any spoilers)

D-day landing - Medal of honor frontline?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrc20EtpHM[/youtube]

Seems like it. Knew it was going to be a Medal of Honor game, D-day has been used in almost all WW2 franchises though.

Hitman Blood Money had some cracking wow moments in it

Shooting an NPC in Half Life 2. I remember watching him crumple to the floor and just thinking 'Christ.. I've never shot someone, but that's exactly how I'd imagine they would fall'. To be honest the ragdoll physics in that game are still some of the best around even today. The whole game was such a feat, especially considering the hype and pressure of the franchise.

First time playing Halo, looking off into the distance seeing the ring rise up and over your head.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.