Yaya Toure

He's not the greatest player in our current side, let alone of all time. He has great ability but his total lack of defensive ability means he wouldn't get into a world team, whereas Aguero, Silva and Kompany would get close. He's a great asset but one who brings a downside.

Just by starting the thread you do him a disservice - the naysayers love a well intentioned thread.

Impossible to decide on a best player - too many factors to consider.

He's a great player - leave it at that.

Didsbury Dave said:
He's not the greatest player in our current side, let alone of all time. He has great ability but his total lack of defensive ability means he wouldn't get into a world team, whereas Aguero, Silva and Kompany would get close. He's a great asset but one who brings a downside.

This is true, but it seems to me that he has defended with a lot more conviction over the last couple of games.

Also, it depends on how you look at him as a player. If you compare him to someone like Bell, as a centre mid, then he comes up short in most things, in fact he's nowhere near on the same level as Bell in any aspect of the game, but as an attack minded rather than centre or defensive mid, I recon he has a good argument for possible inclusion in a world team.

It would be easy to ignore him initially, but if his main duties were attacking, then if you ask a defender whether they would rather try to pick up Silva, with his cleverness & tricks, or have to stop Yaya running at them & also playing killer passes, shooting etc, maybe the answer is not quite so simple.

No fun playing against either.

As above, impossible to decide the greatest player.

I argued with an Arse fan two seasons ago who said Silva was our best player. I said Yaya but because they let him go as a youth he must have been shirt etc...

I am constantly amazed at his level of skill with a ball and vision on the pitch, aside from his strength. And where did those free kicks come from this year?

When on form our biggest asset, we cannot expect every player to be on form every second of every game.

Important player for us no doubt, on his day there's nothing more enjoyable than watching him stride through the middle, brushing off the opposition and making things happen. His ability to keep the ball and pick out passes that most others wouldn't even see let alone attempt stands him apart from most. He shows up on the big occasions pretty much every time. He scores big goals and puts the fear of god into most players he's up against.
That said there are parts of his game that still infuriate me. He doesn't win anything in the air, ever. He often tries to nick the ball (unsuccessfully) when going in for a tackle instead of using his strength and power. Then there are the not so big games when he plays like its a chore and he's doing us a favour.
I can live with his perceived weaknesses though as the overall package is truly awesome, we're lucky to have him and I hope he's here for the next couple of years.
To answer the OPs question, I'd say no. I think Silva and Aguero will finish up being known as our best ever players - well, until Messi signs in 2 years..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.