Zonal ?

bluemanc said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
I'm sorry, remind me how many goals we have conceded from it since it was first used under Mancini and then tell me how many goals we conceded from man marking when Hughes was here BOTH with the same players.
We will compare notes at the end of next season,keep a check on the stats.

No worries at the min it's Man Marking 7-2 Zonal Marking

Immaculate Pasta said:
bluemanc said:
Same here.a back 4 like the old arsenal one that had played together for donkey's years MAY have cracked it, but it's an awful way to defend set pieces.

I'm sorry, remind me how many goals we have conceded from it since it was first used under Mancini and then tell me how many goals we conceded from man marking when Hughes was here BOTH with the same players.

Thats a good point, but under Mancini we bring every player back for set plays. Stoke yesterday left 2 players on the halfway line 1 to take the kick or throw. If you go man to man you have 10 defenders looking after 7 attackers, even with a defender on each post you still have a spare man. This is the best option for me. To many grey areas with zonal marking.
Hughes left 3 players on the halfway line in the home game against Stoke and we defended set plays better than we did yesterday.

Hughes left 3 players on the halfway line in the home game against Stoke and we defended set plays better than we did yesterday.

The stoke home game was mancini's first game but I do get your point., I prefer zonal but agree we need to leave at least one player forward.

In my opinion if zonal marking is done correctly then it is a better option than to chase some one around the 18yd box & losing him in a melee. Zonal marking is just a defenders start point, it gives him a staring position to attack the ball in key areas. Amyone of em can attack the ball if he thinks he can get it, they don't have to stay rooted to the spot. Under Hughes you could roll a ball into the box & it would end up in the net. Under Mancini we have definetely improved in defending set pieces although Fullers goal was poorly defended but we are not the first or last to succomb to a Delap special. Apart from that I agree with everyones points that we are way too defensive minded. Its the Italian way but wait till we come up against the big boys in particular Chelsea in the next round (if we get there) they will camp out in our half. The gap between the forward line & the midfield is too bit & invites pressure.

On the other hand i enjoyed Rocky & Manu up front on Sat, thought they played well. They would be well served with 2 wingers, ie SWP & Johnson who both work back, Petrov has shit it for me. Bridge was OUTSTANDING & a good display for the England coach that Ashly (dropped more bollox then Bill Clinton) Cole is replaceable.

Can't there be a combination? Zonal in general but man marking on identified threats?

bluemanc said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
No worries at the min it's Man Marking 7-2 Zonal Marking
Of course it is.

It is. Have a look for yourself <a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.mcfc.co.uk/videos</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.