Liverpool - post match thread.

What baffles me is how Clichy still gets in the team... It's becoming more apparent with every game that passes that a big downfall for us this year has been not having one full back who's up to scratch, they all seem to be on a different wavelength to the rest of the team.

A bigger surprise for me is that we have yet to provide anyone from the Academy to replace Alex or Gael, who are both below standard as full backs.the academy has been much vaunted for years now , with next to nobody coming through to the first team.

It's amazing how people change their opinion after listening to the so-called 'experts'. I was unsure whether Mane deserved a penalty in the first half but watching it back Otamendi clearly does nothing to tackle the player - the right decision and all we ask for from refs.

As for our non-penalty I don't think you will see a more blatant penalty if you tried. 2 yards from goal, open net, and Milner comes through the back of Sterling preventing him scoring a certain goal. I think 100% of Sunday League refs would have given that as a penalty, most of the crowd who had a good view (me included) could see it was a penalty but the actual professional ref couldn't !!!? It can't be anything other than corrupt, It happens in virtually every single top 6 match we have. Spurs twice last season, Chelsea at home this season. It is beyond a joke.

I haven't watched the match back but there was another occasion where Aguero was clearly hauled back in the first half when he was about to connect with the ball but I haven't seen anything reported.

As for their penalty, Clichy gets the ball and doesn't even come across the player to do so. There was no threat and Firmino didn't have the ball under control but the ref couldn't wait to give it. Given the slightest sniff of a chance and he took it.

So we had not one, but two, critical decisions not given in our favour both of which were blatantly wrong decisions.

Lets also not forget Lallana, when he missed that chance he was 5 yards offside and it was not 'second phase' Had he scored that, it would have been a travesty and yet further evidence of the corrupt nature of the officials.

The only reason we didn't win that game was because of the ref in my view irrespective of the fact that we continue to be profligate with our chances. We go one up, we don't lose that game, its that simple.

Across all competitions, yes. I'm talking 20 in the league, but let's break his scoring down:

His 13 goals in the Premier League (played in 22) have been:

vs Sunderland 1 (pen)
@ Stoke 2 (1 pen)
@ Swansea 2 (1 pen)
@ West Brom 2
vs Middlesbrough 1
@ Burnley 2
vs Burnley 1
@ Sunderland 1
vs Liverpool 1

8 goals in the Champions League (played in 7 games) have been:

@ Steaua 3
vs Gladbach 3 (1 pen)
vs Monaco 2

4 goals in the FA Cup (played in 4) have been:

@ West Ham 1
vs Huddersfield 2 (1 pen)
@ Middlesbrough 1

He also featured for 19 minutes against U****d in the League Cup, but I'm not going to count that as a competition we were taking seriously.

In summary, Sergio has played in 33 games this season and scored 25 goals, 5 of which have been penalties. On the face of it, this is a good return.
However, when you dig deeper into the statistics, he has only scored in 15 of the 33 games (45%) in which he has featured.

On a Premier League level, Sergio has scored in 9 of the 22 games (41%) in which he has played. Compare that with Ibrahimovic (48%), Mane (50%) Kane (50%), Lukaku (50%), Costa (62%) and he is lowest of the other best strikers in the league.

He's also only scored against one of the top 7 teams (there is a significant gap below Everton, hence this unusual cut-off point). Compared with Ibrahimovic, Lukaku, Kane (all 2), Mane, Costa (both 3), Sergio is again bottom of the pack.

Factoring in all of these things, plus Aguero's increasing lack of clinical-ness in front of goal, I maintain that we need an experienced striker who will score consistently.

(sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away).
And where are we going to get one from ?

Got to laugh at Graham Poll in the Mail, saying the Milner and Raheem penalty claim was a coming together and very hard to spot. My arse he went straight through the back of him and was the Stonewall of Stonewall penalties. These tw@ts do really stick together.

Got to laugh at Graham Poll in the Mail, saying the Milner and Raheem penalty claim was a coming together and very hard to spot. My arse he went straight through the back of him and was the Stonewall of Stonewall penalties. These tw@ts do really stick together.

Actually Keith Hackett in the telegraph says it was a definite penalty and a red card....but it's not Oliver's fault because he was overworked last week.

Coming together, still a foul did he mention the foul on Sergio a Nano second before, I guess not

well, a cracking game for sure, with a real mix of everything.

Frustrating not to win given some of the glorious chances we had (De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Silva) but they had some chances to win as well, and I thought Caballero was good.

The defence is due a complete overhaul this summer.

well, a cracking game for sure, with a real mix of everything.

Frustrating not to win given some of the glorious chances we had (De Bruyne, Sterling, Aguero, Silva) but they had some chances to win as well, and I thought Caballero was good.

The defence is due a complete overhaul this summer.

The attack needs finishing coaching,that's by far and away our biggest problem & Kun & Dave are the biggest culprits.

Really pleased with the guts and determination shown by the team after going one nil down and witnessing yet again some dire refereeing go against them. It's heart attack material watching us these days but some of the football is just mesmerising. The one two between Sergio and Leroy was almost....almost the perfect goal. Somewhere in the midst of all this craziness I think a seriously good football team is emerging. Couple of tweeks and we will be frightening. Top 4 and a run in the cup will have to do for this year I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.