What is Manchester to you?

Wasn't it used prior to that in early reviews for corronation st in the 60's to describe the accent to viewers from other regions.
Mancunian perhaps.,,not manc. Besides which hardly anyone had a local accent in coronation st then, generic northern maybe.

I'm from inside the official Greater Manchester map, therefore, I am a Mancunian.

However, although I am proud of the fact, I dislike any associations in the media of "Mancs" being a Neanderthal race made in the image of Liam Gallagher mooching about in a pair of Gazellels, with mandatory Adidas top, bucket hat and clicking their fingers saying "top one mate, top one".

TOTAL CRINGE!

Ha ha, me too. Why does he talk like a bloody idiot? My Mum lived a good part of her life in Burnage and my brothers and sisters were born and brought up there, none talk the way he does.

I'm not a Manc. I lived in Saddleworth for about 4 years when I was a child and fell in love with the Mercer/Allison team at that time. I consider it a second home albeit that home is usually one of the very excellent Premier Inn's adjacent to the M60 that we use for most home games. I love the Manc humour, attitude and music. If I lived in England, it wouldn't be far from Manchester. Piccadilly could do with a good clean up though.

I have Adidas Gazelles, Adidas t-shirts and a tracksuit top, I own bucket hats (Wales, City) and I love the first two Oasis albums.

Some Manc Geeza pacing up and down on the spot in a Holts pub kept telling me I was a Manc and I kept reassuring him I wasn't. That would've made me English...

15c942.jpg[IMG]

Now living in Moorside, Oldham.

I'm from inside the official Greater Manchester map, therefore, I am a Mancunian.

However, although I am proud of the fact, I dislike any associations in the media of "Mancs" being a Neanderthal race made in the image of Liam Gallagher mooching about in a pair of Gazellels, with mandatory Adidas top, bucket hat and clicking their fingers saying "top one mate, top one".

TOTAL CRINGE!

When I away down south years ago my accent which is pretty strong got more milder, but this lad from Hale stared working in the bar, first day there came down simian strolling into the kitchen in a plastic manc accent "ee are kidder what for scan".
God I wanted to punch the fucker, and he was a rag.

Tbf though I wear adidas and parkas ans swear like a bastard, call people 'R kid' etc. it is as much mancunian culture as strong geordie accent and dialect is to them.

Last edited:
I have Adidas Gazelles, Adidas t-shirts and a tracksuit top, I own bucket hats (Wales, City) and I love the first two Oasis albums.

Some Manc Geeza pacing up and down on the spot in a Holts pub kept telling me I was a Manc and I kept reassuring him I wasn't. That would've made me English...

One could only wish.

Ha ha, me too. Why does he talk like a bloody idiot? My Mum lived a good part of her life in Burnage and my brothers and sisters were born and brought up there, none talk the way he does.

i dont agree, plenty of people talk like that, not as strong maybe. my mum was brought up in levenshulme and lived in burnage swell and i know people from all over manchester that talk that way. its just a manc accent, but liam gallagehr exaggerates it a bit. depends on the area aswell, for example didsbury lots of people dont have the accent, go to the wythenshawe and its really strong.

I am a Glaswegian who lives in the east coast of Scotland, out in the country. I too admire the humour and abundance of moaning faced, sarcastic bastards on here, who I feel a certain empathy with as I am the same.

Even the posters who are polar opposite to me politically, put their case well, well as well as they can being totally deluded, but I enjoy the level of debate.

Through this place it is definitely somewhere I intend to visit, hopefully later this summer if time allows.

You also loaned my team Patrick Roberts and for that alone I thank you.

Although taking him back is a right ****.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.