Kylian Mbappe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. I think it's more a general point that transfers which look 'crazy' can often turn out to be fantastic value. When we bought Yaya people literally had heart attacks because were spending the equivalent in today's market of probably 50/60 million on what they deemed a DM.

Players values are often forgotten when they perform consistently, but could also work against the team if they under perform, risks we have to gamble on, if its seen worthwhile by the manager and if we want the best players and to become one of the top teams.

It's only because we did it. United paid 32 million for Shaw which in today's market is easily 50 + million. Nobody batted an eyelid and of course everyone congratulated United on buying one of the most promising full backs in the country.

Your overall point is bang on too. Read a few opposition supporters laughing at the notion of 50 million pound full backs. Watch your team play against parked buses every week, see how much space the full backs get, then tell me they're not INTEGRAL to any team with any aspirations to win the PL title.

They're among the most influential players on the pitch these days, as long as you've got a solid midfield base, a good pair of fullbacks can make an OK attack look great and cover a multitude of defensive issues. Last season they were simultaneously our biggest defensive weakness and the flaw in the attack, to the point where I genuinely think if we'd only bought the 3 fullbacks this summer, we'd still be clear favourites for the league, even with Bravo/Caballero in goal.

Then you throw in the scarcity of good full backs and it's a miracle they aren't priced like strikers really.

You do have a point about Shaw's fee as well, but we should be used to that by now. I'm more amused than annoyed this window by people talking about the spending as you've got managers like Klopp talking about crazy spending while desperately trying to spend 200m but failing because the upper management can't get deals done with Leipzig and Saints.

Anyone else think the whole noise from PSG for Mbappe was to force Monaco to sell them Fabinho? Kinda like saying give us Fabinho or we take both.

Been a slow day for news on mbappe :D

I'm convinced we will look back on this similar to the way we are doing with Pogba if the PSG reports are true, don't pay it, it's disgusting and hype driven inflation he's not the worlds best player and may never be.

He's not yet earned that paycheck he's asking for(again if the 18m Euros rumour is true) not by a long shot none of the #worryingtimessquad can even begin to say he has because I've seen just as much of him he's a pup that's not had many games in truth.

I can see this POV. What do you think happens when aguero goes? How much you think the top forward will be going for?

I feel exactly the same. In some respects I'd almost welcome a bit of prudence, just to undermine the boring accusation that we alone apparently are attempting to buy success. On the other hand though, I want to utterly destroy this league like never before and leave Mourinho and Wenger 25 points adrift, and to then rub it in the faces of Charlie Nicholas, Jeff Stelling, big nose Thompson, Rob Beasley, Jamie Jackson, Cascarino, and all the other utterly bitter and thick media cnuts who never stop sniping at us. Mbappe and VVD would give us an unbelievable squad and guard against the extreme likelihood of Vinnie (and to a lesser extent Kun) missing half the season through injury. Starting a campaign of this magnitude with just 3 centre halves (and one of them with an appalling injury record) and 2 strikers, would be a ludicrous and unnecessary gamble

I try not to let the pillocks in the media get to me and I want to decimate the opposition purely for the fun of it but there's no denying a that sticking to our many detractors would be a bonus.

No comparable option to Vinnie is a worry: I don't think it is possible to over estimate his importance to us. I am optimistic though that we have enough with the new full backs and keeper to mean that Vinnie can safely be rested on a regular basis, which may help to keep him available when we really need him but I'd rather not have the constant worry that he might breakdown at any minute.

I have no doubt that if we added Mbappe and VVD to what we have, we'd have to try really hard to screw up in order not to win the league and that does make one wonder why we just don't go and splash that cash. Just as I will always wonder - and I've heard various stories - why we didn't go big in the market after the first title win, when we could have left everyone grasping in our trail if we had. Didn't we learn?

I can see this POV. What do you think happens when aguero goes? How much you think the top forward will be going for?
That's true we will need a replacement sooner or later but that's 2 years off... there is not just one scenario that can happen, I know what people are fearing: Mbappé goes from strength to strength and starts looking every bit like a future Ballon D' Or contender in that time and nobody else emerges or prices continue to rise and we can't afford a player that does emerge.

As Pep alluded to in his latest conference it simply can't keep rising at the rate it's doing something will have to give... the adage that players are only worth what clubs are willing to pay works both ways(clubs will start talking themselves out of deals sooner or later asking too much... if Real Madrid are spitting their coffee out at what's being asked I think we need to take notice). If we miss out on Mbappé I think we will be fine personally, we can take it easier next summer on our spending and save up for a splurge(unless we unearth a gem or an academy player really steps up) when Aguero does leave.

It's funny how defensive midfielders and fullbacks are not credited with the importance they actually have.

Pundits have no problem saying how Moses and Alonso were cornerstones of Chelsea's win or how Walker and Rose are what Spurs team was based around.

They don't mind pointing out how the CL final was won in large part because Marcelo got the better of Alves.

They'll happily point to Navas and Clichy as the reason we're going so badly.

But god forbid anyone spend £50m on one.

The same was true of defensive mids in 2010. People were talking about how disastrous is was for Arsenal that they hadn't replaced Vieira and then move on to "in other news Manchester City have paid a disgusting amount for a defensive midfielder!"
Funnily enough, the league winners nearly always have either the best or 2nd best goals conceded record.

It's like a solid defence is the base, from which you can mount a successful campaign. Giving you the ability to grind out 1-0 wins and pick up points even when not at your best. History shows you simply do not win the league with Keegan-like "we'll score more than you".

If we'd defended properly last season, it would have been a while load more competitive than it was.

We need a Kompany backup much more than another striker, imo.

Funnily enough, the league winners nearly always have either the best or 2nd best goals conceded record.

It's like a solid defence is the base, from which you can mount a successful campaign. Giving you the ability to grind out 1-0 wins and pick up points even when not at your best. History shows you simply do not win the league with Keegan-like "we'll score more than you".

If we'd defended properly last season, it would have been a while load more competitive than it was.

We need a Kompany backup much more than another striker, imo.

Agreed. We should get VVD in asap and be done with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.