The Boxing thread

Wilder throws like someone in a street fight with no knowledge of how to punch but with his power and athletisism it doesn't really matter. Still get dusted by AJ.

I think most in the know predicted this outcome, example:

Out of shape, inactive and not that good to begin with. Stiverne will get knocked out quickly.

Building nicely for an AJ bout though, which I think will be AJ's first fight in the States(Vegas?).

There's no doubting Wilder's power, tomato cans or not his KO% speaks for itself, as does Joshua's though unfortunately for him.

I still have AJ as the favourite, imagine if he loaded up his shots like Wilder does, he'd take someone's head off. There's a reason boxers are taught to punch the way they do, Wilder simply doesn't have good technique, elite fighers will expose Wilder's sloppiness, he leaves himself wide open swinging wildly and he telegraphs a lot of punches by loading up. I don't expect him to take as many risks with that against AJ but then that takes away from his power and effectiveness, he doesn't seem to pick his shots like AJ does who is far more measured and controlled when he finds an opening.

I think all Wilder's technique goes out of the window as soon as he gets a whiff of the other guy being hurt. Example last night, that first knockdown as a beautiful shot; fast, sharp, straight and solid. The perfect straight right and it did a lot of damage. Contrast that to the way he came steaming in like a complete lunatic to try and finish the job and it's chalk and cheese. Point I'm making is Wilder has the attributes to box well and look like he has a clue technically. He demonstrated plenty of that in the first Stiverne fight. It's hard to say this to someone who's knocked out everyone he's ever fought as a pro but he could do with chilling out a bit and holding his technique a bit more when he's got his men on the ropes, instead of looking hellbent on cleaning off the heads off his opponent and everyone sat at ringside.

Wilder's capable of clean punching but those shots are not finishing anyone off just creating openings, nor are they troubling any of the elite fighters, which he's yet to face and everyone keeps forgetting. In fact some of his opponents have been simply dreadful if you care too look, way way worse than the ones AJ got stick for and too many of them. I just think AJ is naturally the better boxer and already had the tougher tests and passed them, if any of them are being overrated it's Wilder for me.

He's had 39 fights now and been a pro since 2008 I think you are looking at the finished article near enough as opposed to bags of room to grow(AJ), people like to point out the chinks in AJ's armour but there's plenty to exploit in Wilder too as with most of the fighters people are hoping to "find him out"(some are utterly desperate to see him fall haha).

It's going to be an interesting matchup, one of those fights where one punch can swing it for either fighter since they are both more than capable of knock each other out, so may the best man win.

Last edited:
Wilder's capable of clean punching but those shots are not finishing anyone off just creating openings, nor are they troubling any of the elite fighters, which he's yet to face and everyone keeps forgetting. In fact some of his opponents have been simply dreadful if you care too look, way way worse than the ones AJ got stick for and too many of them. I just think AJ is naturally the better boxer and already had the tougher tests and passed them, if any of them are being overrated it's Wilder for me.

He's had 39 fights now and been a pro since 2008 I think you are looking at the finished article near enough as opposed to bags of room to grow(AJ), people like to point out the chinks in AJ's armour but there's plenty to exploit in Wilder too as with most of the fighters people are hoping to "find him out"(some are utterly desperate to see him fall haha).

It's going to be an interesting matchup, one of those fights where one punch can swing it for either fighter since they are both more than capable of knock each other out, so may the best man win.

How do you know they're not troubling any of the heavyweight elites if he's not fought them yet like you said? Really what you should be saying is that he's still an unknown, unproven quantity in that respect. Plus Joshua has shown he's susceptible to being stiffened and wobbled at a lower level not just from the Klitschko fight, so if Deontay hits him straight and clean then he's just as likely to go as all the other guys Wilder has decked. Another point to pick up on, if Wilder's opposition has been so shit (which it has been admittedly), then how is he the finished article if he hasn't been asked to perform at a higher level yet?

I do understand you making AJ the favourite and despite what I'm saying, I do believe AJ is the sounder boxer fundamentally and that should logically see him as the favourite in the fight, but you're making points about Wilder that aren't really backed up by any facts yet because of who he's fought. I'd agree he's unproven at the very top, but I won't say he's overrated until I've seen him tank in a big fight like the AJ one, where no doubt everyone will come out in force with the usual comments about him being exposed as a hype job. OR, the same might be said about AJ.

Both men have beaten what's been put in front of them, both have world titles, both are big punchers and in the heavyweight division, usually who hits cleanest and hardest first wins. If it's an early shooutout it's anybody's fight. If it goes longer and it comes down to the boxing skills of either man then I fancy AJ to establish more of a rhythm and hold his technique a lot tighter than Wilder.

I think it's an interesting match up, but the hype and build up will be unbearable especially from Wilder's side.

I like Wilder aka Bomb Squad I honestly think the heavyweight division is shocking. There the 2 best out there. Wilder will be the 1 who can KO Joshua his chin is questionable and you can say that about every heavyweight. Even when AJ boxed Dillian Whyte he was caught a few times by Whyte and rocked by him. Then the Vitali Klitschko fight the knock down was a heavy 1 and I think Wilder will look at that and think I can KO him. Granted Wilder we have yet to see his chin tested will AJ be the guy to test it I hope so. I just got the feeling AJ goes in favourite and Wilder wins by KO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.