Burnley (3rd rd FA Cup) Post Match thread

Aguero's 2nd goal might be the best I've ever seen live, absolutely outrageous backheel by Gundogan which took out 5 Burnley players and an impeccably timed run with cool finish to match by Kun. An exquisite few seconds of football that was a real pleasure to witness.

But if Guardiola was manager of Burnley, where would Burnley be? No better than where we are now is my guess.
You seem to be saying that Dyche is every bit the equal of Pep as a manager - the differentiating factor being the lack of funds at Sam's disposal.

If that were the case, why is Dyche managing Burnley and Pep managing City, and not the other way round - or more telling, why isn't Dyche managing Juventus, R. Madrid, PSG or some other top, top club (no disrespect to Burnley) posing serious threat to win their league?

I've no personal knowledge about Dyche so let's just assume that he's an awesome manager.

I do know a bit about Pep though.

Pep can identify talent - convince management to procure that talent - can develop and motivate players - is able to break up cliques and to get everyone on board with his ideas - is fearless about confronting dressing room personalities, moving misfits on when called for - is a brilliant strategist and tactician - time and again City have been losing at half time only for changes to be made which turns the game around.

Finally, Pep is monomaniacally obsessed with football and winning - reviewing match tapes of the opposition for days on end before matches, insisting that players eat as a team for meals so as to control their diet, etc., etc. The guy is ultra-driven to succeed in football like no one else.

Hell, the players think Pep's crazy.

One huge advantage that Pep enjoys over other managers is that he is able to select the perfect job - one where management totally backs him, where he has enough say in personnel decisions and, yes, where there's enough money around so that he can get the players he wants.

(But if you think it's just money - you're way off base - it's about identifying quality young talent much more than simply buying the most expensive players - which we don't and cannot afford to do - we're not Real Madrid - who will pay whatever for the hottest talent and then sell if it doesn't work out).

So... Pep at Brunley, notwithstanding the vastly different access to capital - would Burnley be better off?

Who knows for sure? But based on what I've read/experienced about Pep - I find it difficult to believe that Burnley wouldn't be better off with Pep in charge.

A caveat though is that Pep plays only one way - retain possession as a form of defense, create chances through quick incisive play, and win the ball back as soon as possible following turn overs - keep good shape throughout offensive play to both enhance passing opportunities and to afford good defensive posture if the ball turns over.

Obviously, this sort of style works where you have the talent to pull it off - it might well not work so well if the opposition is generally at least as talented and is frequently more so.

Last edited:
The third division gates were better than any of the previous 15 years, weren't they? Which actually supports my point that it was the results not the quality of the football that draws the crowds.
Well our results weren't great that season until near the end, (beaten home and away by Wycombe for instance) hence why we needed a play off to gain promotion, it was neither results nor quality of football, just loyalty to our club.

Ironically our best result all season was at Turf Moor, which started a run of 9 wins in 13 games that carried us into the play off.

Assuming one of the rich moneybags clubs has to win the league, I suppose Man City are a less bad option than some. Many of your supporters on this thread - probably the longer-serving ones - do at least acknowledge that money , or lack of it, is a significant part of the difference between Man City and Burnley. Remember that until Sheikh Whatsisname turned up, Man City had won the league twice; same as Burnley. Now, you're two ahead. Also since the Sheikh arrived, you've managed to improve on Burnley's record in the European Cup / Champions League, having reached a semi-final where our best was a quarter-final. Well done, you're a bigger club. But that doesn't make us Accrington Stanley. That's the sort of remark Liverpool fans are proud of themselves for making, because it makes them feel that winning the league doesn't matter, they think they're superior because they're Liverpool. I don't like Liverpool fans. Don't copy them.

I've not read the whole thread but can only give my own opinion which is I've no problem with the way Burnley played against us, it comes with the territory of having a talented squad and manager and of course the money invested by the Sheikh has helped get to that position. If some City fans have been looking down on Burnley as a club they should give their heads a wobble, leave that kind of behaviour to the rags it's not what football is about for me.

Aguero's 2nd goal might be the best I've ever seen live, absolutely outrageous backheel by Gundogan which took out 5 Burnley players and an impeccably timed run with cool finish to match by Kun. An exquisite few seconds of football that was a real pleasure to witness.

Yeah, it was a thing of beauty.

Since you ask - yes, Burnley fans are enjoying the season and do appreciate the way the team plays. Most of them anyway - there are one or two who don't see any reason why all teams, regardless of who is playing for them, shouldn't play the same way as Man City do. Our fans, even the absentee ones who weren't around in fourth division days, recognise that we're way above where we expected to be, and are enjoying the ride. When we get more established in the Premier, and for that matter when our five injured internationals + Tarkowski are back, then I dare say the performances might be more to your liking too. Brady is an especially big miss on the creative side.

There's a common factor universally found among football fans who say that performances are more important than results. They're winning. Teams at the bottom of the league don't have fans who say that results don't matter because they're enjoying the football. Those fans stop going when the football is poor - I have seen your lot in division three, and the gates weren't half what they are now, and whether it's because the results weren't so good or the football wasn't so good doesn't really matter - the two are interlinked. You can say that performances are all-important because you're getting the results anyway, but I bet if (unlikely!) you lose the next three or four games because your players somehow stop scoring these unstoppable goals, then some of you at least would be complaining. Pretty football that doesn't work isn't actually all that pretty.

Burnley's directors have, between them, over time, net, contributed about £10m to the club. They are rich men by normal standards - the former chairman was said to be worth £20m - but they're not in your Sheikh's league. I don't know how much he and Emirates have paid to Man City, but it's a billion or two I should think. It makes a difference to the quality of players you can get. Why don't we have anyone who can do what de Bruyne does? Clue - it's not because we don't want someone like him. Why does our reserve centre forward (Barnes) play a different style from your reserve centre forward (Aguero) does? We all know that one. Why don't Burnley get a reserve centre forward who can do what Aguero does? We all know that one too.

Assuming one of the rich moneybags clubs has to win the league, I suppose Man City are a less bad option than some. Many of your supporters on this thread - probably the longer-serving ones - do at least acknowledge that money , or lack of it, is a significant part of the difference between Man City and Burnley. Remember that until Sheikh Whatsisname turned up, Man City had won the league twice; same as Burnley. Now, you're two ahead. Also since the Sheikh arrived, you've managed to improve on Burnley's record in the European Cup / Champions League, having reached a semi-final where our best was a quarter-final. Well done, you're a bigger club. But that doesn't make us Accrington Stanley. That's the sort of remark Liverpool fans are proud of themselves for making, because it makes them feel that winning the league doesn't matter, they think they're superior because they're Liverpool. I don't like Liverpool fans. Don't copy them.
You got a few sly childish digs in. Give your mates a high six next time you see them.

No he didnt. The two men were at our club simultaneously, thats all
I corrected myself. Brain cells working now. I'm pretty sure that Franny saw him on TV and pretty much made the decision to sign him. I also remember Franny saying he'd seen a striker that hardly gave the ball away and scored goals - that Striker was Uwe Rosler. Franny signed him. Franny should have been our chief scout as well as chairman.

You seem to be saying that Dyche is every bit the equal of Pep as a manager - the differentiating factor being the lack of funds at Sam's disposal.

If that were the case, why is Dyche managing Burnley and Pep managing City, and not the other way round - or more telling, why isn't Dyche managing Juventus, R. Madrid, PSG or some other top, top club (no disrespect to Burnley) posing serious threat to win their league?

I've no personal knowledge about Dyche so let's just assume that he's an awesome manager.

I do know a bit about Pep though.

Pep can identify talent - convince management to procure that talent - can develop and motivate players - is able to break up cliques and to get everyone on board with his ideas - is fearless about confronting dressing room personalities, moving misfits on when called for - is a brilliant strategist and tactician - time and again City have been losing at half time only for changes to be made which turns the game around.

Finally, Pep is monomaniacally obsessed with football and winning - reviewing match tapes of the opposition for days on end before matches, insisting that players eat as a team for meals so as to control their diet, etc., etc. The guy is ultra-driven to succeed in football like no one else.

Hell, the players think Pep's crazy.

One huge advantage that Pep enjoys over other managers is that he is able to select the perfect job - one where management totally backs him, where he has enough say in personnel decisions and, yes, where there's enough money around so that he can get the players he wants.

(But if you think it's just money - you're way off base - it's about identifying quality young talent much more than simply buying the most expensive players - which we don't and cannot afford to do - we're not Real Madrid - who will pay whatever for the hottest talent and then sell if it doesn't work out).

So... Pep at Brunley, notwithstanding the vastly different access to capital - would Burnley be better off?

Who knows for sure? But based on what I've read/experienced about Pep - I find it difficult to believe that Burnley wouldn't be better off with Pep in charge.

A caveat though is that Pep plays only one way - retain possession as a form of defense, create chances through quick incisive play, and win the ball back as soon as possible following turn overs - keep good shape throughout offensive play to both enhance passing opportunities and to afford good defensive posture if the ball turns over.

Obviously, this sort of style works where you have the talent to pull it off - it might well not work so well if the opposition is generally at least as talented and is frequently more so.
And while he doesn't pick a team on sentiment, he looks like a father figure to the players - the sort of guy you don't want to let down.

Newcastle set a whole new precedence 2 weeks ago.

It's like a virus and it's spreading through the league

Pep is responsible for it.

My hope is that this is the bit where it gets worse before it gets better.

I always felt Pep would change the physcology of this league and I still believe he will, for the better.
Teams must now be realising that parking the bus doesn't work against us. May as well have a go and go down fighting. I hope Liverpool have a go at us - leaving space for Kevin, David, Sergio, Raheem and co to exploit. To be honest, I don't think Liverpool know any other way to play than to attack. Not only are we the best attacking team, we're far and away the best team without the ball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.