United thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
33d8fgi.jpg

I finally got around to reading ‘The Lost Babes’ by Jeff Connor. The evictions of badly injured survivors of Munich is well known but there are plenty of other examples of despicable behaviour toward the victims and their families. It should be borne in mind that Connor is a United fan. This would be such a long post that I’ve split it into two parts. The second part will follow shortly.

1) When Connor approached the club about his planned book he was told by secretary Ken Ramsden that if he wanted to interview any club employee, past or present, he would need to obtain permission from then chief executive Peter Kenyon. All of his many calls and emails to Kenyon went unanswered. Connor went ahead anyway with one of the Munich families saying to him “This is a story that should be told.”

2) On 6 February 2003, the 45th anniversary of the tragedy, he went to Old Trafford and stood with a group of about 30 fans underneath the memorial plaque where they had laid wreaths and flowers. No representative of the club was in attendance and there was no wreath from the club. After the little ceremony Connor went to the Red Café for a bite to eat. When he returned all the wreaths and flowers had been removed.

3) Dennis Viollet was a Munich survivor who joined United in 1949 and played for them until 1962 when he moved to Stoke. In 1959-60 he scored 32 goals in 36 1st division games, a season scoring record that still stands today. In total he scored 179 goals in 293 games. When Viollet was dying of cancer in the US some of his friends asked the club to donate a signed match ball that they could raffle to raise funds for his crippling medical bills. The club refused. Despite his 13 years of service (9 as a first team player) United didn’t give him a testimonial. He only played 5 years at Stoke but they did. Viollet died in March 1999.

4) Jimmy Murphy was Busby’s first and some say best signing who joined United in 1945. His responsibility was to scout and coach young talent and he is often credited with being the real creator of the Busby Babes. His reputation was high enough for coaching offers to be made by Brazil, Arsenal and Juventus but he declined them to stay at United. He wasn’t at Munich because he was also part time manager of Wales who were playing a World Cup qualifier on the night of the Red Star Belgrade match. After Busby retired his title was changed from assistant manager to chief scout and he was gradually marginalised until he was evicted from his office and the club refused to continue paying his taxi and phone bills.

5) When Albert Scanlon arrived back from hospital in Munich the taxi driver who picked him up offered to drive him anywhere he wanted any time at no charge. A month later some dickhead club official, believing the club were paying for the taxi, told him he’d have to stop using it. Busby moved him on to Newcastle but promised he’d be “financially all right” and that he’d fix all the financial things for him. Five years later Scanlon approached Busby outside Old Trafford but Busby blanked him.

6) Jackie Blanchflower suffered horrific injuries at Munich. His right arm was severely fractured and almost severed, his pelvis was crushed and he suffered serious kidney damage which shortened his life. A few months later, despite his wife being heavily pregnant, they were evicted from their club house. As a sop Louis Edwards offered him a job loading meat pies on to his lorries which he declined. The club later cancelled his complimentary season ticket. He died just two weeks after the 40th anniversary benefit match in 1998.

7) Johnny Berry suffered a fractured skull, a broken jaw (which required all his teeth to be removed) a broken pelvis and a broken elbow. He was in a coma for two months and his survival was touch and go. He, his wife and young son were also evicted from their club house and he was fired by letter.

8) In 1986 David Pegg’s sister was shocked to see a large headshot of him as the centrepiece in a glossy newspaper insert advertising the new club museum. When she complained to the club secretary that she hadn’t been asked for permission or even informed about it she was told the club held the copyright of the photo and didn’t have to ask anyone’s permission.
It's now doing the rounds. One of my United mates has just posted part 1 on our WhatsApp group. They're getting proper grief.

Thieving ****s that was mine! They really are turning into the dippers.
On so many levels, yes.
Did anyone notice an incident in the Newcastle game where Martial was poked in the eye by one of the Barcodes?
Thought to myself I wonder if Josie will have the brass neck to moan about it?

Not even he's that crass.

I know it’s probably already been asked on here, but what the fuck did smallthing think he was possibly going to gain from diving there?

It was poetic justice that not only did the stupid twat receive a yellow card for his idiocy, it also led directly to Newcastle's goal.

Karma is a big woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.