Ferran Soriano: City positioning themselves as “club of the future”

Has any one got a link or simple explanation of how City was formed? (Sorry bit off topic I know). I thought we changed name to City from Ardwick. Never read anything about it just 'common knowledge' like Utd and Newton heath.
You may want to read the books by Gary James. He explains everything, including when City started to use the blue shirts.

Don’t get Gary James started on that.

You just ignore St Marks (West Gorton)?

St_Marks_1884.jpg

Can you link me the references to when we first wore blue though?
I may need a lie down!

On the blue though - Ardwick were wearing royal blue and white stripes in 1887 and moved to Cambridge Blue and white quarters then MCFC was Cambridge Blue.

Don’t get Gary James started on that.

You just ignore St Marks (West Gorton)?

St_Marks_1884.jpg

Can you link me the references to when we first wore blue though?
Honestly, that picture is Gorton FC not St Marks

And Manchester City had no pre-running clubs.
St Marks became Gorton who became Ardwick. Manchester City formed on their own and Ardwick and City were two different clubs existing at the same time. Then the two clubs merged.

There was nothing before City. Just 16th April 1894, Manchester City Football Club in light blue

Have you got any proof of that? I've never seen anything to suggest the two clubs existed or played at the same time.
Gary James said it on two different occasions at talks of his i went to. One for the new badge at the CFA and one for a talk about why football became the main sport in Manchester at Central Library

Gary James said it on two different occasions at talks of his i went to. One for the new badge at the CFA and one for a talk about why football became the main sport in Manchester at Central Library
Ok, everything I've seen refers to Manchester Central being outside the football league and the two Manchester clubs inside the league (Ardwick and Newton Heath) not bearing the Manchester moniker so Ardwick deciding to change to Manchester City FC after a reorganisation. Nothing about the two clubs existing simultaneously. In fact in the 1893/94 season they played the first 27 games as Ardwick AFC (who were dissolved after the 27th game) and the final game as Manchester City FC (who were playing their first ever fixture), suggesting that the two clubs didn't, in fact, exist at the same time.

Honestly, that picture is Gorton FC not St Marks

And Manchester City had no pre-running clubs.
St Marks became Gorton who became Ardwick. Manchester City formed on their own and Ardwick and City were two different clubs existing at the same time. Then the two clubs merged.

There was nothing before City. Just 16th April 1894, Manchester City Football Club in light blue
Again, I’ll go with the published City historian on this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.