United thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ederson comes out of his penalty area, that trait alone has cost us goals but not something I'd change? Lets remove the bitter blue tag and accept when a red twat is good.
He is a good keeper, imo. Just shows how Utd's setup helps him as opposed to Spain's.

It's because of the keeper. Even John Terry is going to get beaten in the air sometimes, which is why you want the bloke who can catch the ball above everyone's head to come and sort it out as often as possible.

This isn't news either, or one man's crazy opinion, a lot of United fans have known for a long time he doesn't come for crosses enough and it costs them goals.

Look at the derby last season for a perfect example. 1st goal, corner comes in on the 6 yard box line, Otamendi beats lukaku for a header. Neuer, Oblak, Courtois all come off their line and claim that ball.

Second goal ball flies harmlessly over every City player on the line of the 6 yard box where Lukaku tries to volley clear. Every other top keeper catches that ball for fun, unchallenged, no need to jump. De Gea rooted to the line.

That happened at least 10 times last season, I used 10 as it's the number of set piece goals they conceded, but in truth some of those won't have been his fault, while there will be some crosses from open play he cocked up for as well.

No, them Chelsea defenders were an awful lot more stronger than Smalling and pissing Jones. He might not come as much as he should but he certainly isn't an issue in that team and wasn't an issue when Real Madrid were going to spend big money on him. You cant predict what keepers will come out and claim it, they could come out and drop it. At least you will admit he can't be blamed for every one. Defenders need to do their bit too. It is interesting why you only focus on that side of his game and when he "costs" United (very rare) instead of the many points he will have single handed won them sadly. Golden glove, team of the year (again) and conceded the second least in the league would suggest he is better than the disaster you are making out.

It cost us one v the dippers, don't recall any others.

Done it pre season too, we have conceded goals through him coming out. Saved us many times too, it isn't a pop but someone defended Neur because he comes out as if it is relevant.

I’m not having it.
De Gea is not, will never be and never has been a world class keeper.
A combination of camera saves and playing for the Worlds biggest club have given him everything needed to be pushed to the public perception of a top keeper.
It’s no coincidence he’s won 1(one) golden glove, and Madrid haven’t come back for another sniff and has done nothing of note on the mean time.

That's exactly my point. Teams who sit back and defend deep face a lot of shots from frustrated that don't bother the keeper at all, which is why keepers like De Gea, Pope and co. have such inflated "saves per goal" statistics, which is why it's not a measure of how good a keeper is.

Put a keeper like that in a team that's more open, and their numbers absolutely plummet.

Tom is arguing that teams who sit back and defend deep face fewer shots (factually wrong) so that when a keeper has a higher "saves per goal" stat it's even more impressive.

No, my argument was when someone said he plays well at United because he has 6 defenders in front of him. He plays well at United because most matches he makes good saves. I used it because it shows he faces shots when people suggested he didn't because of their approach to games. The measure of how good a keeper is their match performance. You cant comment on him with balance so why not just say I don't care he is a rag so I refuse to give him any credit.

I’m not having it.
De Gea is not, will never be and never has been a world class keeper.
A combination of camera saves and playing for the Worlds biggest club have given him everything needed to be pushed to the public perception of a top keeper.
It’s no coincidence he’s won 1(one) golden glove, and Madrid haven’t come back for another sniff and has done nothing of note on the mean time.

What of note would you like him to do? Score a goal?

What of note would you like him to do? Score a goal?

De Gea, like Rashford, like Pogba, like any fucker who has played for them in the last 40 years are raised to levels in the press far above where they actually are. He's a very good keeper but limited in what he can do, makes many mistakes like he has for Spain yet is rarely called out on it.

We've got the better keeper imo, certainly suits our style of play.

it isn't a pop but someone defended Neur because he comes out as if it is relevant.

You seem to be confusing "coming out of the box" with "going into the opposition box for a corner because you're seconds away from bombing out of the world cup".

We often talk about players' transfer value rising after world cups. I think the opposite may have happened with the hapless doughnut thief.

Massive weaknesses? What crazy wording. You are also aware Real Madrid, one of the best teams in the world were seconds away from signing him? If it fell through for anything their end do you think it was because last second they went oh he isn't as good as we think actually? No chance.

Having a very quick look he made 3.58 saves per every goal whereas Ederson only had 2.17 saves per goal. As I said I would rather Ederson for us but it is beyond delusional to think he isn't a fantastic shot stopper. For every Ronaldo goal in this world club there are many examples of class saves from shots outside the area. That stat puts to bed that he is good because United are defensive too, he still faces a lot of shots because no matter how defensive they go their defence still isn't great.

So you slag off Raheem like your life depends on it and defend the alpaca just as vehemently?

A very strange stance for a City supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.