World Cup 2018 | 7th July | QF: Sweden vs England Match Thread, KO 15:00 (BST)

Apart from the Belgium game which was two reserve teams playing each other, we’ve exceeded expectations. Belgium, France and France haven’t been better than England so far. There’s been no stand out team which shows how open this World Cup is.
The difference being, France and Brazil have been under par, England have not. Belgium will turn it up a notch after their close-call against Japan but France and Brazil have barely got out of second gear. I dare to dream too, quietly, but the chanes are very slim.

This is not looking good. Our wedding anniversary. Cooking dinner and already been informed that Mrs Quimby is not prepared to wait for penalties. So let’s hope it is sorted one way or the other in normal time. Before you say ‘get her to cook it’ she has just come out of hospital after a knee replacement so not really on option.
TV in the kitchen not an option?

This.

All this giddiness is massively misguided.

Stones and Maguire have looked alright, but I'm still unconvinced with having Kyle at RB.

Young is a dreadful left back, you know, being a right footed winger and all...

Midfield is bereft of anything, Henderson is wank, Alli isn't fit...

Sterling has yet to click into life, desperately hoping he will, and Kane, despite all his goals, offers very little from open play, as when he does manage to hold it up, he gets zero support and only Sterling running beyond him.

Totally agree...

JJ

England have been about as good (or as poor, take your pick) as we expected them to be before the tournament. They'll be a better team two years up the road, for the Euros. As it is, both team and manager have fulfilled the contract, as far as I'm concerned. Quarter finals are o.k., Gareth. Semi-finals would be beyond our expectations. But Sweden are no better than England. This is definitely within the realms of possibility.
Us winning the whole thing is about as likely as Leicester City F.C. being EPL champions.

England have been about as good (or as poor, take your pick) as we expected them to be before the tournament. They'll be a better team two years up the road, for the Euros. As it is, both team and manager have fulfilled the contract, as far as I'm concerned. Quarter finals are o.k., Gareth. Semi-finals would be beyond our expectations. But Sweden are no better than England. This is definitely within the realms of possibility.
Us winning the whole thing is about as likely as Leicester City F.C. being EPL champions.
You say that but if we beat Sweden there's a chance. Russia and Croatia are good sides but neither are world beaters

Leicester winning the league was literally about 200 times more unlikely.

You can fluke a cup competition (see Greece 2004 or Chelsea in the 2012 CL). 38 game league season, completely different story.

If England win the World Cup it'd be a shock but not really unprecedented.

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire
Trippier/Young Henderson Alli Rose
Sterling Kane Lingard

Rose has to play for me, not sure who's worse out of trippier and young so it's a tough call on the right. Would hope Southgate plays Alli deeper, he seemed to be given a free role vs Colombia but was ineffective, we need his creativity from deeper as we don't have anyone else. Put sterling on one channel and lingard on the other and press their back line to death. Don't need the same narrow approach against Sweden's low block.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.