Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

Every neutral fan I know thinks he is useless. This has nothing to do with the Sun or Mirror as I don't know anyone who reads that crap. It is more to do with people like Hoddle who every time he commentates on England continually slags him off and completely ignores anything positive he does. Sky are the same -he should have been mom on Sunday but they focus on a nothing tackle and ask him snide questions about Liverpool. Even when he scored his 50th premier league goal instead of a positive it was only his 3rd outside the box!

TV has the most coverage out, so anything the commentators say, the public click on to it and their minds are made up by some thick ex biased footballer. It’s like De Gea for United, he’s built up to be a super human keeper, when he’s not. Any save is bigged up. That’s the power commentators have.

Reactions: SVP
Not sure if posted but seems they're having pointless digs at Mendy now. Headline reads like there's bad blood between him and pep and then the article talks about veiled warnings. Not saying this is on the level of the criticism raheem receives but just goes to show they live turning meaningless things into a aoap opera for the usual idiots to lap up

Here we go, another blue going to get the Sun treatment for the rest of the season

The media, the established clubs & ex pros of Liverpool have certainly created a narrative with subtle racial undertones.

How dare a young man, a young black man at that not know his place. He was so lucky to be playing for Liverpool. How dare such a young lad, a black lad at that dare to leave such an institution as Liverpool. The white 50 & 60 something's would never have dreamed of leaving Liverpool for such a horrible club as City.
How dare the young 'flashy' 'problem with today player' leave Liverpool for City. Who the fuck does he think he is?
Better money to sit on the bench, not good enough for City, he'll never play, he only went for the cash. He's shit anyway & hes no Ibe.

He should have known his place was the general gist of things.

It was everything the media & ex pro Gammons hate. A young upstart immigrant leaving a decaying established dinosaur of a institution for filthy "Arab petro dollars".

Whilst it's not only fuelled or solely racism, it's certainly in there. You just need look at the Sun using his image when reporting on a young biracial non league player selling drugs to live a lifestyle like Sterling's.

People can bang on about the treatment Beckham or Rooney got. They made huge mistakes that cost their country. All Sterling has ever done is not be much better than other players for England.
The media also had the country praying for their return from injury. People forget about full page spreads of pray for Becks/Rooney. Pictures of a foot we had to put our hand in and pray.

There is a deep rooted hate campaign against him, namely carried out by older white males. I think it daft not to consider his race a factor in this, even if it's subconscious.

Ashley Cole was treated very similar. All for moving to a much better club. Can anyone spot the links?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I grew up in a household that had some prejudice. My dad hated all Japanese with a passion, (war eperience) drove a Toyota though. I was determined as a youngster not to inherit the traits.
I have given the subject of racial prejudices and the media some thought over the last 24 hours, I am currently trying to determine how many black football journalists there are in the mainstream media. Not found too many so far.
Practically none.look at all the press conferences for teams on sky sports .no black journalists. It's s closed shop.
Ian Wright is spot on re media's treatment of Raheem.which of course directly or indirectly influences the masses.

I would go as far as saying the tide has already turned.

I think going back to the racial assault before the Spurs game, any stories involving Sterling have attracted a greater and greater negative response aimed at the newspapers or journalists taking shots at him. The gun tattoo story was a big moment because pretty much everyone who follows football seemed to just say "fucking enough already.", and the story quickly changed from being about Sterling's tattoo to how the media reports on Sterling.

Then in the world cup, you got an initial criticism of him by the Ingerland fans, very quickly responded to by a much greater counterargument, where every news outlet had a pundit or analytics article (or 5) on how Sterling was actually playing well in his role and doing a selfless job for the team.

Ian Wright speaking out about it having racial undertones, now Kick it Out getting involved, they're just the latest parts of a greater pushback against tabloids reporting on him.

Slight side note, just had a gander on Sterling's Wikipedia page to see how many goals he has scored for us.

The write ups on his Manchester City career season by season in comparison to his Liverpool one, and in comparison to other players, is oddly short and brief.

Liverpool fc supporter here.
While I agree that the media loves to target Sterling I really don't think it's race that underpins the slagging he gets. I think he's just unfortunately got one of those faces that people can't relate to. It's a horrible thing bu studies have shown that children with very open and sensitive, emotional faces that look a little unprotected get bullied viciously in school playgrounds.
Sterling looks a little theatrical and you can imaginr his type face etc. would be respected in a west end musical or as a children's entertainer etc. but the macho footie journalists are bringing out their playground bullying behaviour as Raheem doesnt look so machoman, and the public of course, like the Romans watching slaves get crucified, love it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.