Spurs’ new stadium

One of our reps is suppling fixings to the job and they estimated on site yesterday that it was going to be around 4 months until it’s fully ready!

Well given all of the above it’s beyond belief that Spurs did not have any significant contingency plans in place given it was an “ambitious target” and that almost all similar projects are delivered late.

They thought that they did have a contingency plan in place - Wembley.

The fuckup (and yes, it is a big one) was that, apparently, no one noticed that the weekend of 28th October would present a big problem if Spurs were scheduled to play at home.

They thought that they did have a contingency plan in place - Wembley.

The fuckup (and yes, it is a big one) was that, apparently, no one noticed that the weekend of 28th October would present a big problem if Spurs were scheduled to play at home.
Before the scheduling of fixtures take place teams are asked if there are any dates that they need to be home / away or if there are any teams they can't play on certain dates e.g. If there is an anniversary of a special event e..g. Hillsborough or Munich (yes we played the rags on the 50th anniversary - I think that for some reason that was requested rather than purposely avoided).

Why didn't spurs say we can't do a home game on that date? The rags do it every year with the rugby final

The build was further complicated by the inclusion of a never before attempted, three section, two directional sliding pitch (which will reside under the stands while retracted) with a second pitch underneath it.
That's interesting to know, how does that work then, because grass needs sun/day light ? and why the need for 2 pitches ?

I was surprised to see the pitch incomplete earlier in this thread, with construction vehicles at one end, because I'd seen pictures of a full pitch previously, so I just made the assumption that they were just photoshopped to show a pitch, even though the stadium wasn't yet complete, but it makes sense now, that they can move areas of the pitch to do other work. How does that work with drainage, and undersoil heating etc ?

That's interesting to know, how does that work then, because grass needs sun/day light ? and why the need for 2 pitches ?

I was surprised to see the pitch incomplete earlier in this thread, with construction vehicles at one end, because I'd seen pictures of a full pitch previously, so I just made the assumption that they were just photoshopped to show a pitch, even though the stadium wasn't yet complete, but it makes sense now, that they can move areas of the pitch to do other work. How does that work with drainage, and undersoil heating etc ?

Think the pitch underneath is th nfl pitch and it might be a 3G synthetic surface JimB might have a better idea. The football pitch sits on top, the nfl pitch sits lower due to the sight lines you need when you have lots of players stood on the sidelines in nfl.

It’s quite clever stuff how it moves and slots in place in sections.

Because, with respect, unlike most Spurs fans and posters on here, I have been following this project very closely from the very beginning.

This was a complex build because it is a huge, state of the art, new stadium; two thirds built around a still used, existing stadium; on a site with limited space; in a built up, populated area with poor access. The vast majority of similar new stadia around the world are built on large, open sites with comparatively easy access.

The build was further complicated by the inclusion of a never before attempted, three section, two directional sliding pitch (which will reside under the stands while retracted) with a second pitch underneath it.

As to why it was a tight schedule, well the last ever game at the old Lane was in early May 2017 - which gave Mace and Spurs 16 months to demolish the old stadium; dig foundations; build the remaining third of the stadium; install the roof; build and install both pitches; build the podium; and complete all other public access areas surrounding the stadium. A tough ask. Doable, with a fair wind. But challenging. And, but for the serious issue that came to light last week, Spurs were on course to host the Liverpool game on 15th September. Close. But no cigar.

Between them, Mace and Spurs have failed to hit their ambitious target but anyone who claims that that is evidence of a poorly managed build has little knowledge or understanding of major construction projects - almost all of which are delivered late.

In 1998, 20 years ago, the Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem built a ground that had a retractable pitch, it too went under the stand when not in use so it is hardly ground breaking technology. The simple fact is the time frame for the project was too tight for the miser that is a chairman. To be honest I am not arsed and I am sure most Blues will agree with me, what pisses us off is that we will be forced into something that is too our detriment. The obvious solution is to decide now, which stadium in London the match will be played in on that chosen Sunday. The fact that this hasn't yet happened is down to a penny pinching tight arse.

Before the scheduling of fixtures take place teams are asked if there are any dates that they need to be home / away or if there are any teams they can't play on certain dates e.g. If there is an anniversary of a special event e..g. Hillsborough or Munich (yes we played the rags on the 50th anniversary - I think that for some reason that was requested rather than purposely avoided).

Why didn't spurs say we can't do a home game on that date? The rags do it every year with the rugby final

I can only guess that, by the time that the fixtures were finally decided, it's likely that Spurs / Mace were confident that the stadium would be ready by September 15th.

Vitesse Arnhem have the pitch on rollers and tracks. It is deep enough to grow the grass and is left out virtually all the time. The point is, should they have an event or concert they retract it under the stand leaving a hard surface to erect seating etc. They simply roll it back out when the event is over.

The Grand Final is always on an international weekend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.