City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

Well last season we turned out in numbers for all the group games, including the QF where the bent cnuts drew the only 2 English teams together, that's not coincidence that's 2 hot balls designed to fck over one off the English sides, and they got a referee to make sure we got knocked out.

Sterlings penalty at anfield, Sane goal at the Etihad, all these things get people pissed off with the competition, that's the only way they could stop us, because we would have beaten RM in that final, now if that would of happened you would have seen maybe a different slant on the champions league this year.

Yeh I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said mate.

The refereeing last night, and the refereeing we’ve been the victim of in general in the CL, has been appalling. And don’t get me started on the corrupt fuckers at UEFA.

Maybe these are the reasons there’s widespread apathy towards the CL. I’m not sure, but interested to hear from other blues who go to all the league games but give the CL a miss.

But everyone not in that position to have that spare money
Tell me about it bud I have to buy 3 tickets every time reckon I bought about 110 tickets last season.
Just saying no other club would charge those prices my scouse buddy didnt think £52 was bad for a game he was shocked when I told him it was for 3 !

While i have no doubt we're growing overseas, it's a damn sight harder to grow locally. We've essentially got a similar size supporter base to what we had when we were shit. That was great for then but merely okay for the size we are now. Then you add in the apathy our fans seem to have for anything other than the league games (including them if its midweek)... well it means thousands of empty seats. We don't have that surplus to step in when regulars don't go.

It is what it is. I'm not particularly arsed but I'm still surprised by how many can't see it for what it is. There's no shame in not having a ridiculously big fanbase. I feel like the club needs to be more proactive on this front though. Understand that and just get the ground full regardless.

Edit - FWIW i don't think the CL apathy is unique. Happens at a lot of other clubs too, though it does feel particularly notable for us.

Before people judge one another.
Its a matter of choice.
I didn't join the champions league cup scheme this season.
Last night was my first missed home game at the ETIHAD.
I don't like UEFA and instead of booing them.
I chose not to spend my hard earned money lining there pockets.
Season ticket holder since 1985.
I answer to nobody when it comes to my love/support for man city.
C.T.I.D
And that is entirely your choice as it is for others who choose not to go. The obvious caveat to that is you can’t then come on here, in February or March, complaining that you’ve been a season ticket holder for 34 years but you can’t get a ticket for Barcelona/Madrid/Munich and it’s a disgrace.
I’m not suggesting you will, just making a general point to S/T holders who avoid the CL.

I haven't been to a Champions League game since the Real Madrid Semi Final - not interested

At face value that would appear to be true but I don't think it is. I think a lot of seasoncard holders didn't go and tens of thousands of 'new' supporters were there.

City have a strange, unique problem where we have developed an antipathy towards the Champions League and regulars are not going. If 3/4 of seasoncard holders would have gone last night, game would have been sold out easily. We also have historic low numbers for midweek Cup games which goes back a long long time.

The Champions league is the minimum of what top clubs aim for each season but a lot of City are ambivalent towards it. Somehow we need to address this and make sure we have full houses for Shakhtar and Hoffenheim.
I'm one of those ambivalent ones and admit to only going to one, maybe two games in the CL each season. Yet will never miss a PL game.

I can't explain why I feel this way but sense it is something about the struggles we had down the years and the fights to stay in the top flight. Perhaps being a long term supporter has left me with a sense of final achievement of just consolidating our position and I don't feel the need for a competition like this. Very odd, really.

I think the club need to start including CL games within the season card matches, like the rags do, to force people like me to go.

I’m not sure Bob. I posted a WUM a few years back that the Sheikh had allocated a couple of blocks for Abu Dhabi students (when we played Barca) and there was almost a meltdown on here. There seems to be enough fans when the game is big enough.

Everyone’s circumstances are different so last night’s support was disappointing rather than embarrassing, IMHO.

Try looking at Bob's post history.

everything to do with the champions league is crap for city the attendance, atmosphere and worst of all our performances. we are a different team.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.