City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

It's a suggestion only. The issue appears to be that regular supporters are not buying into the CL, and this is in part due to the change of atmosphere when compared to PL games, caused by too many visitors and fans of the opposition. If demand is increased by reducing the number of tickets available, then it reduces the need to sell tickets to non City fans and might make it more appealing to those not currently attending.

I hate having to move seats separating me from match-day mates it's not the same and I don't like the view from the lower tiers or from behind the goals. Then if my seat is subsequently sold it would piss me off even more. So, I would stay at home. Reducing seats available to none City fans is wrong as they may become fans. Another issue with atmosphere is that foreign fans are there in general to sing and dance which they do throughout the game, I doubt they see much of the actual football, being all together standing up the home fans don't stand a chance, this is even rue at the much fabled Anfield

Live football is in danger of being killed off in this country in spite of reports to the contrary saying it is booming for a number of reasons. I will stick to just ourselves but a lot will apply to other clubs too.

1: Live coverage on tv, internet streams etcetera. Anyone with a decent broadband speed and some know how can probably watch almost any game live legally or illegally. Failing that they can keep up to date with websites like the BBC on match days which gives scores updates and live reporting from every game, so you are always in touch no matter where you are.

2: Atmosphere. All seated stadiums, over zealous stewarding, nannying and intermingling of different demographic of fans. All of these are slowly strangling it to death. I am in the south stand, the stand being championed as our most vocal and housing our most fanatical fans. On Saturday I thought I was in a creche. There were families near me with kids under the age of five, at least three different groups. At half time I saw a man carrying a baby who must have been 18 months old if it was a day. Why are they not in the often half empty family stand?? There should be an age limit of 16+ to buy a ticket for this stand. We have a full area behind one goal given over to families, until we make it no kids in one end we will never make it more raucous.

Being searched on Saturday a bloke in front of me wasn't allowed to take a partially drunk bottle of a soft drink in. Why not? It is ridiculous. On the tram going down I spoke to a group of lads who take hip flasks in full of booze that never get picked up by the scanners. The whole system is an irritating joke. Why can't fans take their own an bloody food and drink in anymore?? Do they really think they will queue to buy the overpriced crap on offer inside as a result?

Shit transport system in Manchester. We all know the problems associated with getting to and from the ground but for many the transport problems are more local before getting anywhere near the ground. Buses being cut to one an hour on weekends meaning you have to leave earlier than you would like to try and avoid the crush/queues near the ground. The same going home. If you miss a local bus to get you to your house it means waiting another hour in the cold. If by beating the traffic problems and not enduring that hour wait at the end of your journey means leaving the ground early you can see why many do.

The bloody mindedness of metrolink to not run trams direct to the stadium on match days from.certain destinations
. All of these trams are running into Piccadilly station so for a two hour window before and after the game can they not just do the extra few stops to and from the ground? Sure a few shoppers might have to wait an extra five minutes but if they can't understand there is a major sporting event taking place and allow for that then that is down to them.

At least on weekends I can get home by public transport on night games I cannot so adding £10 for a taxi to my costs or a 2 mile walk home in often bad weather and running the risk of bumping into a gang of yobs and/or a mugger in the process.

All of these things combined are the reason we are seeing more and more empty seats and early leavers. As a season ticket holder I didn't even touch on ticket prices but if I wasn't no way would I pay £50-60 a game. I just wouldn't do it and my budget wouldn't allow it except for the odd big game.

All in all when the buzz and atmosphere of going to live games is killed off and you then add all the other inconveniences in attending to the mix you can see why people are starting to sack it off.

FA Cup games are the ones for me where crowds have rocketed over recent years. We've sold out every home FA Cup tie that has played at a weekend in the past 5 or 6 years. We get 54,000 sell outs for 3rd round matches these days but 10 or 15 years ago there would've been 20,000-25,000 less than that in the ground even if it was a 3pm kick-off on a Saturday.

28k v Liverpool at MR. FA Cup on a Saturday.

Loved the idea of playing in Europe. However all that has gone on with UEFA since the takeover has left me cold. The introduction of the FFP system in an attempt to stop us entering, the bullshit draws, the ridiculous fines, the 'unlucky' ref decisions and the bending of the rules to suit the old guard are all factors in my attitude to it.

My own sentiments exactly. Been a season ticket holder for over 40 years but the scouse QF episode was the final straw for me. An eight hour round trip to get mugged off like we did killed any enthusiasm I ever had for the CL. At least four or five match changing decisions against the red scouse over the two legs, all wrongly decided in favour of the opposition. Some odds those I would say!

Can't win with ko times, if its moved to an earlier time fans will be saying they can't get there in time due to work/traffic.
Agreed. What I can't get my head past is the fact that ManUre, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea.....all seem to manage to get sellouts or pretty much close to on CL nights. Regardless of times or transport or anything else for that matter. This looks to me like it's an issue for us only. But if we're being honest even on a Saturday the Etihad resembles a picnic outing. Can't remember the last time we really had the place totally full and rocking.

Agreed. What I can't get my head past is the fact that ManUre, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea.....all seem to manage to get sellouts or pretty much close to on CL nights. Regardless of times or transport or anything else for that matter. This looks to me like it's an issue for us only. But if we're being honest even on a Saturday the Etihad resembles a picnic outing. Can't remember the last time we really had the place totally full and rocking.

What’s Chelsea’s capacity?

We should get Colin who has just been elected to bring this attendance issue up with the club. Give discounted CL tickets to Seasoncard holders is maybe an option.

Or even a seperate champions league scheme or something like that

He stopped going himself, so he understands the apathy

I cannot belive that our owners want a full house for these games, price it right and bingo
all tickets say £20 for 1st and 3rd tier and 2nd tier £30, in best seats charge £45 charge kids go for £5

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.