City Fans Leaving Early/Empty seats

I didn't enter the CL Cup scheme because once all our home games were scheduled for Wednesdays I knew I wouldn't make more than one because of work commitments. Who we draw in the group is of no importance to me if I can make the games. I wouldn't favour an "all-inclusive" S/card unless they kept the price the same which wouldn't happen.

I didn't enter the CL Cup scheme because once all our home games were scheduled for Wednesdays I knew I wouldn't make more than one because of work commitments. Who we draw in the group is of no importance to me if I can make the games. I wouldn't favour an "all-inclusive" S/card unless they kept the price the same which wouldn't happen.
People still aren’t going to come up from London or the South West just because it’s a freebie. The fact is that they just can’t do it midweek.

So if the club offered an opt out option, along with all the CL incentives, loyalty points, cheaper and set ticket prices for each round, guaranteed QF and SF seats, would you at least consider the CL games, or would you still not be interested, if you don't currently go?

I go to all the CL home games but I resent any form of coersion. If there was an opt out, I would be happy.

I don't think a 40k crowd against a team that are not seen as a top side is that bad. I've also been at matches with worse atmospheres.
Wish I hadn't gone though.

Question to you all.

How many of you wouldn't renew your season ticket if the CL matches were compulsary, and you were guaranteed CL match incentives(see above) and cheaper LC and FA Cup tickets.

I would probably still renew but my seat for the CL would still be empty for some of the games. Once you get to a point of being able to afford it regardless, whether or not you miss it almost becomes irrelevant financially. That's why we have so many empty seats at home games. Some people cant be arsed pissing about for £20 or whatever it is.

I offered my Newcastle tickets to 3 lots of people for free and no one wanted them because it was on TV. This is the problem. The fans that have been priced out over the years don't suddenly want to go to Lyon on a Wed night at 8pm or even a Prem home game if it is on TV at a time that doesn't suit them. They have become used to not going. We have the fan base in Manchester and surrounding areas but most people who support us no longer go to games or never did. The apathy towards the CL is clear on these threads. Some people just don't like it. I don't mind it but don't like the booing and negativity that surrounds it. The pricing for the PSG game the other year when I was in the cup scheme made me leave it the next year and I just pick and choose now or share my lads ticket as he is still in it. I will probably go to the Shaktar game but cant say the prospect is appealing.

Add to that the horrendous traffic to get there, the now 8pm kick off instead of 7.45 (Another reason some people don't go. Fucks train times up and keeps kids up even later), Shit atmosphere in General and the need to work late sometimes. Next season we may get lumbered with one of these 6pm games. That would rule me out completely as I am not taking holiday to watch football.

Barcelona at home, people might make the effort to travel/book time off/reschedule commitments etc. For the three teams in this group they wont.

It is what it is. I guess the owners and probably even Pep wont like it but I cant see it changing.

Whether we like it or not we have to be honest and recognise that we simply don’t have the reservoir of fans that the rags and Liverpool have. So if 15,000 decide they aren’t going then there aren’t 15,000 others who will willingly take their places. Maybe that’ll change in 20 years time but it’s not that way at the moment.

So why would 15k decide not to come? I think there’s a few reasons. The main one is that probably a third of our season ticket holders live a considerable distance away and for most it’s simply not practical. That was what stopped me and many others getting to midweek games when I worked in London Monday to Friday. Many younger kids won’t be there as it’s a school night and I bet there’s a couple of thousand of those at least. Even if you live locally, if you’re reliant on public transport to get home then you might well not bother.

Some will have limited funds and will only be able to afford their season ticket and not much else. Some (like me) simply don’t like the CL. It’s third on the list of trophies I’d like to win, behind the PL and FA Cup. I also dropped all Cup schemes as a protest against the last price rise, which was both unnecessary and I understand had originally been decided against by the club. So they’ll get less money out of me this season than last because of that. If I want to go to a Cup game I will but all CL games I can watch from the comfort of my own living room, which I already pay for. In fact I’ve so little interest in the CL that I only had the game on in the background last night while doing some reading I needed to do.

And if we’re expecting day-trippers to take up the slack then we need to make it a damn sight easier to get tickets. It’s hard enough for SC holders at the moment.

In general i think there's a 4th reason too, and it's general fan apathy. When you read between the lines, for lots all they wanted was to get one over on United. And we did. Big time. We've destroyed them in recent years. Swear down for some it's a case of 'It's all downhill from here now'. 9320 was perfection so everything else is a bit less exciting, and given how much apathy there is towards UEFA from our own fans now, the two combine to make everything a bit "shrug". It isn't everything of course, but it's definitely a factor for some. We've got a relatively old fanbase who think 'fuck it ive got work so ill watch it on tele' and younger fans who are usually priced out and who have also grown streaming games online so they're also totally at ease with just skipping it too..

Too many choose being at home now. The big question is why... is it because the match day experience has gotten boring for some? It's undoubtedly a sanitised experience. It's not raucous, it's expensive and it's usually quite predictable viewing too (i.e City win comfortably). I know that the predictability should make it more appealing, but i don't think most of us know how to live with that now. We just weren't brought up that way as fans.

I dunno, just thinking out loud. Not saying any of that is right, and i certainly don't know the answers, but i think it's a huge problem that's incredibly hard to solve as i don't think its as simple as ticket prices... it's a cultural and mental thing too.

Question to you all.

How many of you wouldn't renew your season ticket if the CL matches were compulsary, and you were guaranteed CL match incentives(see above) and cheaper LC and FA Cup tickets.
I probably would, however I guess it may need to be at no price increase to appeal to the masses.

Probably a better option for City is to close off level three in CB and East Stand and create some form of demand AND prevent away fans from buying seats in our core supporter areas. This could mean that if the club offered a season ticket with included CL games, those normally sat in L3 for PL choose a different seat for CL games. If demand dictates, then the club have the option of selling seats in L3 after the rest is sold out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.