Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I'm starting to think that the cable net won't be an issue with this new North Stand stand.

With the old North Stand roof removed, the side roof sections may remain completely supported by the masts on the spirals and without the need for a full cable loop around the whole stadium.

This wireframe loop is no longer needed at the South Stand (although remains present under the new roof), and if they develop the North Stand then it will no longer be needed at that end either.

It would mean the club are free to remove the old cable net behind the goals and develop the North Stand 2nd tier to be as large as they want it to be, which would explain the jump up to 63,000.

The reason I'm thinking this might be the case is because the South Stand 3rd tier holds ~5,500 and an expanded 2nd tier of the North Stand, under the cable net restriction, would feasibly hold less as it wouldn't have the benefit of an overhang with extra rows. This would mean we wouldn't get close to 63,000....unless the cable net was no longer a restriction.

That may not be the case. Access to set up and take down the stage, sound systems etc is at the north of the stadium. If 10 concerts are indeed planned then it doesn't sound like next summer is a goer.

I understand what you are saying, but the access tunnel cannot be blocked at any time for the expansion, health and safety will never allow for the tunnel to be closed

I also understand the works will Include a freshen up of the external landscaping of the stadium. My source a few years back worked for city and told me about the single or double tier idea and also the fact that it was going to be much less corporate and designed to reduce he age of our match going fans. His words have proven very accurate. I believe I was the first one on here to say that it would be a different design to the other end.

Can’t wait to see it. By the way tow credible people this week have told me different things. One told me same as the other end but with safe standing and one has told me two tiers! Would suggest it is still under review.
They are definitely looking at safe standing but nothing can be decided until the EOY when the Government reports. City are in favour but are unsure whether it will be passed. A major stumbling block would appear to be the safety/security issue of not being able to track/identify individuals within a safe standing area as they are likely to move around within it. The 2 tier option appears to be the one that will be implemented. This is my take from attending the meeting last week.

I'm starting to think that the cable net won't be an issue with this new North Stand stand.

With the old North Stand roof removed, the side roof sections may remain completely supported by the masts on the spirals and without the need for a full cable loop around the whole stadium.

This wireframe loop is no longer needed at the South Stand (although remains present under the new roof), and if they develop the North Stand then it will no longer be needed at that end either.

It would mean the club are free to remove the old cable net behind the goals and develop the North Stand 2nd tier to be as large as they want it to be, which would explain the jump up to 63,000.

The reason I'm thinking this might be the case is because the South Stand 3rd tier holds ~5,500 and an expanded 2nd tier of the North Stand, under the cable net restriction, would feasibly hold less as it wouldn't have the benefit of an overhang with extra rows. This would mean we wouldn't get close to 63,000....unless the cable net was no longer a restriction.
The rep from the Company doing the work also said it wouldn’t be an issue (at the meeting last week).

The rep from the Company doing the work also said it wouldn’t be an issue (at the meeting last week).

The cable net cannot be removed or broken its pre tensioned and without it the roof would collapse It is still used for the south stand roof btw So not might not be an issue but it will be there

Hi mate. What did they say about it?

What kind of image of the stand were you shown, as in was it in colour or just like a wireframe model image? How big did it look?

The cable net cannot be removed or broken its pre tensioned and without it the roof would collapse It is still used for the south stand roof btw So not might not be an issue but it will be there

Hi mate this isn't correct.

The South Stand roof doesn't use it all all. The stand is specifically designed so that it doesn't make contract with the old cable net at any point. It comes in through the gap between stand and roof and comes in through the corners as well. The new South Stand roof is completely supported by the new supports only.

The North Stand roof would be the same, which is why I suggested a full loop may no longer be required and the possibility the sides may only need to be supported by the spiral masts.That's only a theory though based on the muted attendance figure goal.

Last edited:
Hi mate. What did they say about it?

What kind of image of the stand were you shown, as in was it in colour or just like a wireframe model image? How big did it look?
There weren’t any designs (as in this is what we are proposing) as this is still the fact finding stage. We were shown various examples from other stadiums as well as possible designs and asked to comment.

Hi mate this isn't correct.

The South Stand roof doesn't use it all all. The stand is specifically designed so that it doesn't make contract with the old cable net at any point. It comes in through the gap between stand and roof and comes in through the corners as well. The new South Stand roof is completely supported by the new supports only.

The North Stand roof would be the same, which is why I suggested a full loop may no longer be required and the possibility the sides may only need to be supported by the spiral masts.That's only a theory though based on the muted attendance figure goal.

If the South Stand roof doesn't use the cablenet then can you explain how the roof is supported? Genuine question

The cable is pre-tensioned the primary component of the structure that's why it was there during the games even without the north stand?

To quote from the CoMS Design study

A central feature of The City of Manchester Stadium is its distinctive and dynamic form, key to which is the structural solution for supporting the roof. The roof structure essentially comprises two separate structural systems, the first providing primary structural support to the whole roof (the ‘cable-net’), and the secondary being a more conventional arrangement of rafters propped from the rear of the concrete bowl and hung towards their leading edges from the cable-net. The mast and cable-net roof primary structure uses a ‘grounded tension ring’ to create a prestress field against uplift wind loads. 12 cigar-shaped tubular steel masts up to 65m high support a total of 76 spiral strand forestay cables in fanshaped groups of five or seven cables per mast. Each forestay supports an individual rafter. Just above the roof surface, all the forestay ends are connected by a system of four spiral strand cables that form the ‘grounded tension ring’ (also referred to as the ‘catenary’). Prestress to the catenary and cable-net is provided by four corner-ties anchored to the ground. The top of each column is tied back to the ground by pairs of back-stays comprising groups of Macalloy high tensile steel rods. This mast and cable-net system not only provides a highly efficient structure but also is central to the drama of the building’s architecture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.