Sterling racially abused by Chelsea fan?

God, this has made me so fucking angry.

The cheek of BT Sport and their notable employees investigating racist abuse that they've been complicit in enabling with their coverage of Sterling ever since he left Liverpool. The entire media's been at it but they never want to launch an investigation into themselves. I think companies like BT & Sky and every major newspaper in the country love incidents like this. Angry working class racists are a good distraction from middle class racists who've embedded themselves in the media and are cleverer with it. Those Chelsea fans need doing in. As does the bloke who threw the banana at Auba. But so does every "respectable" member of the English press who's spent the last three years following Sterling's every move, never letting him exist, keeping him in the news for whatever reason.

It creates an environment where a cocky dickhead thinks he can shout racist abuse because he knows nobody around him will stop him. He thinks this because he reads stories and watches football punditry that's painted Sterling as nothing more than a target for scrutiny. Sterling's never been allowed to be a footballer or a person. His money's been questioned, his ability is STILL questioned (even by our own fans!), his motives and character are questioned constantly. All by media types who have constructed a narrative that'll follow Raheem for the rest of his career. These incidents, like the Chelsea fans here, aren't flash points. Search Sterling's name alongside the n-word on Twitter and you'll see it's constant.

But that's how the media likes to view these events, as flashpoints that don't represent the behaviour of the general public. It means they can isolate these Chelsea fans and deal with it as an acute case of racism as opposed to a symptom of a chronic illness that they've spent the last few years spreading. They did it with Balotelli before and they've tried it with dozens of other black footballers. You genuinely have to be a lowlife fucking thug like Joey Barton to be white and attract the same level of hatred and scrutiny. This is a man who beat up teenagers and stabbed cigarettes out in their eyes, backed UKIP on live TV and did time for assaulting a teammate.

It's not just how the press like to deal with it either, it's how Britain loves to see itself. It's why we love to view America as a "crazy country" with racist cops and shooting sprees because it's so extreme in its chaos that it distracts from our own crimes. Sterling can be racially abused in the middle of the biggest game of the weekend, in the biggest league in the world, and the most attention it'll get is a quick furrowed brow *after* 15 minutes of pointless analysis about whether somebody dived or not. It's fucking sickening. Nobody wants to confront it.

And it'll get no coverage because these racists show us what we really are - as a race, as a nation, as a people - and the press are so guilty and uncomfortable with their role in it that they'll never look at themselves in the mirror. It's easier to pretend it's not widespread. If the media pretends racism towards Raheem is not widespread then it can pretend there's no problem, and if it can pretend there's no problem then it can pretend it's not complicit in spreading it. Expect a furrowed brow on MOTD tonight, a brief mention on Monday, and silence.

Fuck this. I'd kill for Raheem at this stage.
Good points but I do think this will get huge attention and let’s hope it’s a catalyst that ends the media persecution of Raz, and a flashpoint that helps to protect all players from racist abuse.

As a Life long Chelsea Fan this is terrible. Banter is one thing this is total different.We’ve had our problems over the years the poxy National Front in the 80’s was a low point. The Paris W**kers a few years back. There is no place for this in society never mind a football ground. I watched the excellent Ian Wright documentary last week and hoped we’d never see it again, last week a Spurs fan throwing a banana now this. All clubs have some idiot fans I hope they find prosecute the twats and I know Chelsea will ban them.
After a great win for us today these morons have taken the edge off. The vast majority of Chelsea fans aren’t like this

The incident with Sterling and the Chelsea fan(s) today is, sadly, the inevitable consequence of the continued vilification of the player by sections of the media.
This sums it up it's been going on since he left the candle burners in one form or another

I did not understand that at the time. Not for one minute do I think Mcpointy had any idea the abuse was racist in nature, but similarly why make a joke of someone being abused as clearly that was happening.

There really are some horrible people in society and sadly, for some, football brings out the worst in them.

Honestly in real time when I saw it I could tell one was being racist(the middle one tbf couldn't tell what the **** in blue said at the time), first comment I made was typical chelsea racist combat 18 ****s.

Also sterling looks back at them and ignores them, so it was fairly obvious there was nowt to joke about from the pundits, not that they were aware what the abuse was, still joking is excusing vitriolic abuse so easily noticed from the faces on those fans .

As a Life long Chelsea Fan this is terrible. Banter is one thing this is total different.We’ve had our problems over the years the poxy National Front in the 80’s was a low point. The Paris W**kers a few years back. There is no place for this in society never mind a football ground. I watched the excellent Ian Wright documentary last week and hoped we’d never see it again, last week a Spurs fan throwing a banana now this. All clubs have some idiot fans I hope they find prosecute the twats and I know Chelsea will ban them.
After a great win for us today these morons have taken the edge off. The vast majority of Chelsea fans aren’t like this

Fair play mate, thanks for posting.

Every fanbase has their morons mate, don't worry about it. Congratulations on the win.

Not surprised. Chelsea and West Ham fans are pretty much the same

Don’t think it’s really fair to castigate a whole fan base on the actions of an individual. Wasn’t one of your fans banned for throwing a banana skin at a black player just last week?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.