Should jobs like police officer have fitness levels?

Being physically big plays a big part when dealing with the public in an emergency situation. Looking the part is important. I accept not all roles in the police need that presence but when you start out that is what you will be dealing with.
This exactly. A big imposing bloke automatically gets more respect and, let's face it, fear. If wrong 'un's are fronted up by some dumpy short arse, it won't exactly put the fear of god into them. It baffles me why standards have been allowed to drop like this.

This exactly. A big imposing bloke automatically gets more respect and, let's face it, fear. If wrong 'un's are fronted up by some dumpy short arse, it won't exactly put the fear of god into them. It baffles me why standards have been allowed to drop like this.
I think the height limited was reduced to let ethnic minorities into the service, particularly Asian men where the average height of the said people was then below 5 ft 8

I think the height limited was reduced to let ethnic minorities into the service, particularly Asian men where the average height of the said people was then below 5 ft 8
No it wasn't! The height limit was removed decades ago and correctly so-when I joined in the mid 90s women still carried smaller truncheons and wore skirts. Times have moved on. Policing isn't about how big you are. It requires many more skills than frankly being able to physically over power someone. We are all given the same training. Nowadays, certainly in my force, the front line is made up largely of young officers who are very fit, bright and extremely brave.

Personally I am in my early 50s and never been fitter. I'm not sure where these so-called 'gut buckets' are-they are a rarity for sure.

Pay and conditions have been eroded over the last decade, pensions have been affected, but its still a great career especially for young people who want to make a difference.

Level 5.4 on the bleep test is an embarrassment. Any twat who can’t even get that should be fucked straight off. And no, that’s not being harsh, it’s being real about it. I don’t see how anyone with any self respect could feel hard done to.

Level 5.4 on the bleep test is an embarrassment. Any twat who can’t even get that should be fucked straight off. And no, that’s not being harsh, it’s being real about it. I don’t see how anyone with any self respect could feel hard done to.
Do your research. This was imposed by Windsor-it was merely political.

'any twat..should be fucked off'-shows your true thoughts and should I sack you simply because you are older and less fit? And what about officers who have been injured on duty and can no longer run-sack them to? Most people get their opinions on the police from Tv or stood outside a nightclub/pub..Policing isn't that.

'any twat..should be fucked off'-shows your true thoughts and should I sack you simply because you are older and less fit? And what about officers who have been injured on duty and can no longer run-sack them to? Most people get their opinions on the police from Tv or stood outside a nightclub/pub..Policing isn't that.
Why are you mentioning the reason the fitness test was brought in? It’s irrelevant. Any person taking a salary for being a police officer should be able to reach 5.4 which is barely a hair’s breadth above a fast walk. Even people in their mid/late 50’s should be able to do 5.4 if they had any self respect, particularly if it was part of their role that they’re getting well paid for. As for the injured officers - they either pass once recovered or get pentioned off in my opinion.

If a soldier gets injured in battle and can no longer operate effectively do they get to stay on the payroll for the rest of their career? No.

When I was a teenage punk it was quite often "one more word and you're nicked". Once in a cell it was commonplace to get a few slaps. No cameras in the cells in those days officer; )

No it wasn't! The height limit was removed decades ago and correctly so-when I joined in the mid 90s women still carried smaller truncheons and wore skirts. Times have moved on. Policing isn't about how big you are. It requires many more skills than frankly being able to physically over power someone. We are all given the same training. Nowadays, certainly in my force, the front line is made up largely of young officers who are very fit, bright and extremely brave.

Personally I am in my early 50s and never been fitter. I'm not sure where these so-called 'gut buckets' are-they are a rarity for sure.

Pay and conditions have been eroded over the last decade, pensions have been affected, but its still a great career especially for young people who want to make a difference.
You obviously haven’t worked on immediate response at a place like Harlesden in North west London in the 80’s. I know who I would prefer alongside me. a burly colleague whose got presence or a dwarf who wants to fight everyone because he’s got a complex. The Force changed in 1994 after the Stephen Lawrence debacle it never recovered and as a result of the pc brigade ( excuse the pun) the public lost respect for us. I look at the Police now and I’m embarrassed because standards have dropped substantially, I saw this more and more as the years went by until I retired in 2009. I speak to other retired colleagues and they have a similar view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.