This girl who died on a speedboat and the lad who ran off to Georgia......

So if I understand it right, they reached a verdict without him. Him not wanting to face trial, probably was one of the factors that swayed the jury's opinion. If he really is innocent, he should have fought his case.

I can't say whether I think he's guilty or innocent but what gets me is, people always seem to say, "the jury arrived at that decision, so there MUST be more that we don't know"... I used to think that way until I did jury duty myself a few years back, it changed my perception of the process and even how much actual evidence is needed for things to go to trial sometimes. It's sometimes all personal accounts of events for example, basically asking the jury "which story do you believe?". It sometimes really does come down to gut feeling, when evidence is thin on the ground.

Also, isn't it true that in cases like this, after a verdict is given, there's no longer a need to hold back the details of a case? Unless it was requested but the press would usually say for instance, if her farther had asked for certain details not to be released. I can't think of a logical reason, that they would need to hold back the key pieces for this case.

I'm not to sure what I think of his innocence or guilt and I can't see how anyone else is claiming they are, unless I've missed something but he has kind of fucked himself before it even went to trial either way, so maybe there's a lesson to be learned for all in there.

Last edited:
Found guilty at a trial, he decided he didnt have to attend, of manslaughter. Then absconded from the country and avoided sentancing and justice. This guy should have his sentence increased for his additional crimes. Pretty straight forward imo.
Not quite as you’ve got that in the wrong order.

He absconded before the trial or verdict.

So if I understand it right, they reached a verdict without him. Him not wanting to face trial, probably was one of the factors that swayed the jury's opinion. If he really is innocent, he should have fought his case.

I can't say whether I think he's guilty or innocent but what gets me is, people always seem to say, "the jury arrived at that decision, so there MUST be more that we don't know"... I used to think that way until I did jury duty myself a few years back, it changed my perception of the process and even how much actual evidence is needed for things to go to trial sometimes. It's sometimes all personal accounts of events for example, basically asking the jury "which story do you believe?". It sometimes really does come down to gut feeling, when evidence is thin on the ground.

Also, isn't it true that in cases like this, after a verdict is given, there's no longer a need to hold back the details of a case? Unless it was requested but the press would usually say for instance, if her farther had asked for certain details not to be released. I can't think of a logical reason, that they would need to hold back the key pieces for this case.

I'm not to sure what I think of his innocence or guilt and I can't see how anyone else is claiming they are, unless I've missed something but he has kind of fucked himself before it even went to trial either way, so maybe there's a lesson to be learned for all in there.
Regarding the jury bit, I hear you. I sat on one and thought the police, prosecution and defence were all lacking in areas.
For this case, I can't help but think manslaughter is right as he seems to have acted negligently over a period of time and had advice that could have possibly saved the girl. Not sure six years is appropriate but maybe not turning up for trial caused that.

The bit i'm struggling to understand is how the condition of the boat played any part in her death.

If a boat in decent condition had hit a submerged object at that speed, surely the effect would have been exactly the same.

They might as well have put the people responsible for dredging the Thames on trial for failing to remove the tree branch.
Obviously the tires were bald and lost their grip...

It did have fixed lights and by the looks of it, an inboard engine and fixed fuel system therefore not exempt.
Not from the pics I saw. Outboard engine with a non fixed fuel system...i.e no built in tanks. It's basically a red metal box you carry to the boat which is then plugged into the fuel line to the engine. A boat of that size wouldn't have had fixed lights either.

Not from the pics I saw. Outboard engine with a non fixed fuel system...i.e no built in tanks. It's basically a red metal box you carry to the boat which is then plugged into the fuel line to the engine. A boat of that size wouldn't have had fixed lights either.
Does on the video.

He’s a slimy detestable spineless individual. I hope he meets Mr Big in that jail in Georgia.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.