Referees’ Performances 2018/19

Yes.

Unfortunately, I cannot see it changing.
I've no opinion on this actually.

But for God's sake - "intentional" whatever - is ridiculous - there's no way that a referee can judge intent in all but the most extreme of cases. Any rule requiring the referee to do so has to go.

I think that the rules are somewhat vague. That's why there's content in there about arms being in "unnatural" positions. If referees had to determine without a shadow or a doubt that every offender intentionally handled the ball, then we'd barely have any penalties.

But I can understand where you're coming from as well. Otamendi was moving his arms away from the ball so it would seem harsh to give that as a spot kick. I do think, however, that it was the right decision because his handling the ball defintely resulted in an advantage to his team as he blocked a goal bound shot.

The last paragraph has got nothing to do with anything. Show me in the rules where it states about any advantage being a reason for giving a penalty. And there lies the problem. The refs do the same thing which causes all this mess. The problem is refs not adhering to the laws and making it up as they go along. Just funny this week once again, we dont get a pen for an incident at Newport where the defender had his arm in an unatural position, while we get one given against us for otamendi who had his arm in a natural position and did everything in his power to get it out of the way..... ruff end of the stick yet again!!!

Never deliberate handball in a million years.

I'm not at all claiming that I'm a VAR/review/UEFA rules expert.

It may be that the referee screwed up - but he did not have access to the replay video - and presumably acted to enforce the game rules under these circumstances.

>> UEFA didn't want the VAR officials making decisions for the ref on subjective decisions.[
So what's an ethical ref supposed to do without access to replay - yet hearing in his headset that a penalty should be awarded.

Kudos - I say - to the ref for awarding the penalty.

Moreover - the way that the game is called these days - I agree with the penalty.
====
To flip the situation - let's say that Ageuro struck the ball - and, let's suppose that Shalke's Sane had handled the ball in the same way. Wouldn't you want a penalty kick? I'd surely be very upset if one weren't given.

What's an ethical ref supposed to do?

Follow the guidelines he's been given.

If it was the other way I'd want the same rules to be followed.

The last paragraph has got nothing to do with anything. Show me in the rules where it states about any advantage being a reason for giving a penalty. And there lies the problem. The refs do the same thing which causes all this mess. The problem is refs not adhering to the laws and making it up as they go along. Just funny this week once again, we dont get a pen for an incident at Newport where the defender had his arm in an unatural position, while we get one given against us for otamendi who had his arm in a natural position and did everything in his power to get it out of the way..... ruff end of the stick yet again!!!

Never deliberate handball in a million years.

Agreed

I'd like a referee, or anyone come to that matter, to explain what constitutes an unnatural position. It's one of the most illogical descriptions but one that is trotted out to justify ridiculous penalty decisions.

We tend to struggle with Spanish referees. Is it the case that they referee games a whole lot differently to what we are used to with our English officials? You would expect Pep and his team to have some insight into how these referees perform, and this could be used to coach the players ahead of these key European games. We have had the occasional good referee though in our CL games. I wonder if there are correlations between where they referee and how they handle certain types of incidents in games.
Given the amount of money that flows into UEFA, their Chief Refereeing Officer (former Italian referee Roberto Rosetti) should be acting to standardise the levels of performance of all the officials under his jurisdiction.
Another point is UEFA’s image. They are keen to promote the Respect campaign, and stamp out racism, and clamp down on other unsavoury aspects of the game. But they are very lenient with on-field gamesmanship (aka cheating). If they want a clean image, with attractive football being played, they could do a whole lot more to promote this. For instance:
  • Apply tough sanctions to players and coaches who pressurise officials by imaginary card waving and VR requesting.
  • Like rugby, only allow captains to talk to referees. This multi-player haranguing of referees is so unseemly.
  • Punish players for feigning injury, diving, or even going to ground easily.
  • Get serious about fouls in the penalty areas. There are three officials patrolling penalty areas at corners. If a defender fouls, no matter how bad the foul, award a penalty. It’s funny how they can spot the slightest infringement by attackers, but miss everything but the most obvious fouls by defenders.
It’s about time the fair-handed teams started getting the benefits of their fair play, and the cheating snidey ones were punished accordingly.

I respect your opinion and disagree.

First off - I think that the penalty award is appropriate - not deliberate at all - but on the basis that the game is called this way;

Secondly - given the lack of video footage to review - and, hypothetically given that the entire review booth is screaming that it's a penalty... I'd have gone with the review booth no matter my beliefs. To do otherwise is to suppose that your fleeing glimpse of the incident is far, far better and more informed than an entire replay booth full of experts with recourse to numerous, frame-by-frame replays.
Are you on a fishing expedition or just being deliberately obtuse?

Just because the ball strikes a player's arm in the box does not make it a penalty. It was not deliberate and a ref should be able to judge that. Unfortunately we have Muppets like Peter Walton officiating the game who've never kicked a ball in their life!
When the ball hit Neville's arm in the area Walton gave a free kick outside the box, shows what he knows.

I know someone who used to give (possibly still does) a dossier to a League one manager about their upcoming refs. How many yellows, reds etc has he dished out and what for, is he someone who likes to play advantage or not, is he someone who allows back chat a little more than others, does he allow a bit more leniency on certain things etc etc. I know that this information was relayed back to the players and they would know how far to push certain things and not others. I wonder if we have someone doing similar and if not why not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.