Why we will win the league!

If you look at form over 6, 8 and 10 games we top the league for each. If current form continues for both clubs we will win by 4 or 5 points.
The scary thing with that is that we haven't even played well over that period of time. Just managed to grind out wins.

The scary thing with that is that we haven't even played well over that period of time. Just managed to grind out wins.

Not sure it's quite grinding out.

Over 6 games it's 6 wins, 16 scored, 2 conceded. Across five of those games, we conceded just 10 shots, with 5 on target* - while we've had 96 shots (39 on target). Results may have been close in a couple of games, but it's not exactly a grind :) The games against Bournemouth and West Ham could just as easily have been 5-0 as 1-0.

* The most interesting stat in those six matches is that just one team did pretty much as well as the other five combined - 12 shots, and 4 on target against us - and they got beat 6-0.

Not sure it's quite grinding out.

Over 6 games it's 6 wins, 16 scored, 2 conceded. Across five of those games, we conceded just 10 shots, with 5 on target* - while we've had 96 shots (39 on target). Results may have been close in a couple of games, but it's not exactly a grind :) The games against Bournemouth and West Ham could just as easily have been 5-0 as 1-0.

* The most interesting stat in those six matches is that just one team did pretty much as well as the other five combined - 12 shots, and 4 on target against us - and they got beat 6-0.

I agree that we've been dominant in pretty much every game, but we haven't turned that dominance into comfortable wins IMO.

Take a look at our recent games:

Schalke 2 - 3 City: Had to come from behind and scored the winner right near the end.

Chelsea 0 - 0 City (cup final): Couldn't convert our chances during the 120 minutes. Won on penalties.

City 1 - 0 West Ham: Absolutely battered them, but needed a penalty to break the deadlock.

Bournemouth 0 - 1 City: Again, absolutely battered them. Strange miss-kick goal wins the game, but we did struggle to create many clear opportunities.

City 3 - 1 Watford: We were poor first half, needed a Sterling masterclass to pull us out of trouble.

City 7 - 0 Schalke: Okay, we leathered them. You could say they played a weakened team, but that's their issue, not ours.

Swansea 2 - 3 City: Had to come from 2 - 0 down, 'lucky' penalty for us? Also a very clear offside on our 3rd... it was Liverpool level offside. :')

In all of those games I think it's only Schalke at home that I would say we didn't grind out a win.

I agree that we've been dominant in pretty much every game, but we haven't turned that dominance into comfortable wins IMO.

Schalke 2 - 3 City: Had to come from behind and scored the winner right near the end.

Chelsea 0 - 0 City (cup final): Couldn't convert our chances during the 120 minutes. Won on penalties.

City 1 - 0 West Ham: Absolutely battered them, but needed a penalty to break the deadlock.

Bournemouth 0 - 1 City: Again, absolutely battered them. Strange miss-kick goal wins the game, but we did struggle to create many clear opportunities.

City 3 - 1 Watford: We were poor first half, needed a Sterling masterclass to pull us out of trouble.

City 7 - 0 Schalke: Okay, we leathered them. You could say they played a weakened team, but that's their issue, not ours.

Swansea 2 - 3 City: Had to come from 2 - 0 down, 'lucky' penalty for us? Also a very clear offside on our 3rd... it was Liverpool level offside. :')

In all of those games I think it's only Schalke at home that I would say we didn't grind out a win.
Yes spot on. The positive is that I believe we have another gear to shift into and hopefully with a bit of luck with injuries we will have a big six weeks.

de bruyne, stones, fernandinho and dare i say it mendy being back helps us even further for the final push!

Sorry I have to disagree. The reasons you list ARE the reasons we will win the league. To come back against Schalke like that told me everything I needed to know about this team. The other games have only confirmed it. We have a steel in the team that Liverpool and most other teams don’t have to the same extent. This and superior skill will see us happy come the end of the season

Sorry I have to disagree. The reasons you list ARE the reasons we will win the league. To come back against Schalke like that told me everything I needed to know about this team. The other games have only confirmed it. We have a steel in the team that Liverpool and most other teams don’t have to the same extent. This and superior skill will see us happy come the end of the season
Yeah I completely agree. My initial point was that on paper our 'form' looks brilliant, but we aren't even playing well (for our standards). The post above was to give some substance to that argument.

The only thing that could stop us winning a domestic treble now is fatigue.

de bruyne, stones, fernandinho and dare i say it mendy being back helps us even further for the final push!
I might get shit for this but for KDB should be used as a sub for most games, he’s nowhere near last season and Bernardo for me starts before him in the middle, bring KDB on if we are absolutely desperate and tiredness has set in, but for me the team is firing in all cylinders, Fernandinho starts ahead of gundogan and stones instead of Otamendi apart from that team pretty much picks itself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.