"The Keeper"

There were quite a lot of inaccuracies but they didn't really detract from the film. I went to a talk Gary James gave at Castleton OSC and he talked about his battles with the crew over accuracy. He lost most of those but he did win the one about the FA Cup Final being at Wembley and not Maine Road.

That Sgt Smythe was a completely fictional character and in reality Bert got on very well with the CO commanding the camp, Lt Col Glendenning, who was quite tolerant with the POW's. There's a story that despite them being under curfew, they used to sneak out to pubs and dances and Glendenning told them off, not for doing that but for being too noisy when they were sneaking in past his quarters. Another one has Glendenning coming back from a night out in a shared taxi, the passengers including one of the POW's. Glendenning recognised him, chucked him out of the front seat into the back and paid his fare.
It is always frustrating when you are too close to a film knowledge wise to watch it knowing little inacurracies are in there that the majority of viewers wouldnt know or even care about.
I watched that recent Morrissey biopic (i know i know i have dropped Moz into a Bert thread!) and little things like he lived in a semi on Kings Road and as you look at it he lived on the right side house. The film showed the left hand side house.
There was a Q&A with the producer and someone picked up on it and he replied that they could only film that day / morning and the sun was in the wrong place to film the correct side so they had to film it from a different angle using the wrong house...

It is always frustrating when you are too close to a film knowledge wise to watch it knowing little inacurracies are in there that the majority of viewers wouldnt know or even care about.
I watched that recent Morrissey biopic (i know i know i have dropped Moz into a Bert thread!) and little things like he lived in a semi on Kings Road and as you look at it he lived on the right side house. The film showed the left hand side house.
There was a Q&A with the producer and someone picked up on it and he replied that they could only film that day / morning and the sun was in the wrong place to film the correct side so they had to film it from a different angle using the wrong house...
I watched the film "Philomena" and Steve Coogan was rightly praised for his performance as Martin Sixsmith. But having been at school with Martin and seen him in the last few years, I knew he hadn't quite got him 100% right.

There were quite a lot of inaccuracies but they didn't really detract from the film. I went to a talk Gary James gave at Castleton OSC and he talked about his battles with the crew over accuracy. He lost most of those but he did win the one about the FA Cup Final being at Wembley and not Maine Road.

That Sgt Smythe was a completely fictional character and in reality Bert got on very well with the CO commanding the camp, Lt Col Glendenning, who was quite tolerant with the POW's. There's a story that despite them being under curfew, they used to sneak out to pubs and dances and Glendenning told them off, not for doing that but for being too noisy when they were sneaking in past his quarters. Another one has Glendenning coming back from a night out in a shared taxi, the passengers including one of the POW's. Glendenning recognised him, chucked him out of the front seat into the back and paid his fare.
His capture being quite a big inaccuracy,I'm no film producer but I would have thought how it really happened would have been better. Thoroughly enjoyed the film though.

His capture being quite a big inaccuracy,I'm no film producer but I would have thought how it really happened would have been better. Thoroughly enjoyed the film though.
I thought that as well, he was captured and escaped several times plus he operated on both the eastern and western fronts. His life story is truly remarkable, I understand the focus was the love story and the great man himself probably didn’t reveal too much about his war years but I would have loved to have seen (even as flashbacks) more of that.

He was captured? Thanks... I didn't know that and the whole film is ruined..... next you will be telling me he broke a leg in the same final as Dave Whelan.....

He was captured? Thanks... I didn't know that and the whole film is ruined..... next you will be telling me he broke a leg in the same final as Dave Whelan.....
Is there a story about Dave Whelan and a broken leg in a final at Wembley?

Well we did put an offer in with his manager but his boss a certain Herr Hitler, alas there was just no negotiating with him,so in the British way we forced the deal through. Its right at the start of the film so don't let it spoil the film for you. Did Dave Whelan break his leg I've never heard that one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.