Wembley 99 Play Off final - 20 Year Anniversary

Thing I love about that documentary is that it's not focused too heavily on Dickov's goal. Yes, absolutely we all do it, but let's be honest, there's no shortage of stuff about that moment. Instead it gives all of them time to breathe and explains the whole story. Superbly done.

And by the way, does Kevin Horlock have a mirror stored away in his attic somewhere?

Sorry not having that they were booed warming up.I was there home and away in those days and although we had boo boys that was when they were playing as until Morrizon arrived they were gutless and couldnt take the pressure.
Thats why they went to the school.

I can't say for certain as it's before my match-going time, but I've literally just read about it in landslide, and I've read and heard about it from other sources too. Maybe it's a myth, as I say, I wasn't there so can't say.

One thing I noticed about that film is that lots of those lads still attend City games as a fan.

It's exactly why it's not fair when people criticise Lee Dixon for being Arsenal now when he was a boyhood City fan. Of course he is - he spent his whole career there. These lads were part of something special, and City is now their club, and they come and support.

It's exactly why it's not fair when people criticise Lee Dixon for being Arsenal now when he was a boyhood City fan. Of course he is - he spent his whole career there. These lads were part of something special, and City is now their club, and they come and support.

I wouldn't criticise Dixon for that. I'd expect it. In general, footballers and people within the game don't support teams in the same way that the sort of fan who comes on a forum does. That's why you hear players so often say "I supported them as a boy". Once you are inside football, I think , for a lot of people the "magic" dissipates and you have clubs who you identify with or like rather than being a rabid fan of one club. But then these players have kids and they choose a club, often their father's. I bet most of the kids of those 99 players are City fans now.

Shaun Goater is a top lad,he adores City and he has never taken his success for granted.He took plenty of shit from the stands on occasions but his relentless pursuit to prove his quality won most,if not all,over.

That period in our history was incredibly turbulent,unpredictable and toxic,and he is only recalling it as he remembers it.He,IMO,would never intentionally say or do anything to harm our club.
Toxic is right. How anybody can bemoan what we have now with a hankering for those days is beyond me.

I wouldn't criticise Dixon for that. I'd expect it. In general, footballers and people within the game don't support teams in the same way that the sort of fan who comes on a forum does. That's why you hear players so often say "I supported them as a boy". Once you are inside football, I think , for a lot of people the "magic" dissipates and you have clubs who you identify with or like rather than being a rabid fan of one club. But then these players have kids and they choose a club, often their father's. I bet most of the kids of those 99 players are City fans now.

Well put. And of course, for these players they genuinely are part of the club and what it has become since. That's something fans can't quite understand in terms of the feeling of it. Perhaps in terms of a sports team we might have played for maybe in a small way. I've got friends who support my local cricket club for whom I played for years, and it is slightly different in terms of how they view it and how I view it. Not directly comparable of course, but perhaps a hint.

Well put. And of course, for these players they genuinely are part of the club and what it has become since. That's something fans can't quite understand in terms of the feeling of it. Perhaps in terms of a sports team we might have played for maybe in a small way. I've got friends who support my local cricket club for whom I played for years, and it is slightly different in terms of how they view it and how I view it. Not directly comparable of course, but perhaps a hint.

For most of those lads the playoff final was the highlight of their careers, and it now sits so firmly in City folklore that you're exactly right: it's part of who they are.

Slight aside, a mate of mine was friends with a City player a few years ago and I remember him saying he wished he wasn't, because he didn't like hearing some of the insider stuff.

Saw Guy Butters at Brighton on title winning day. I was in their hospitality and he was working for Brighton in the hospitality lounge. Had a laugh with him telling him that it would not have been possible without his help

i was in the olympic gallery at wembley watching in disbelief as we pissed away our chances of winning the game. i still sat there, stubbornly, when the 2nd gills goal went in. but those few moments were torture.

i was actually staring down the line of dickovs shot for the equalizer and thought it was over the bar, crouched down with my head in hands, as distraught as i could get for a full half second, until everyone around me were stood up going mental.

it was, and remains, the most tense i have ever been at a football match. even just before the aguerooo moment my thoughts were not as bleak as our 1999 predicament. it was like the club being handed down a death sentence if we failed to seal promotion.

what a relief when weaver saved the last pen. went on the piss in watford that night on an absolute high - great days, great days indeed!!!

if ever a football club had a 'sliding doors' moment, that was it!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.