UEFA Nations League Finals | 19:45 - Final - Portugal vs Netherlands (Page 164)

John Stones not for the first time has been a disaster waiting to happen.
He wonders why he is not a regular in Peps first team (call it what you want).
He believes he is better than what he actually is !!!
Arrogant,too much self belief ??
Call it what you want.
He his nowhere at the level of Kompany,VVG,Adams,Terry,etc etc !!!
For those of who still think he will be able to fill the void of Kompany .. think again.Nowhere near the level.

Who do see coming up from the U21's in September?

I'm looking forward to watching that tournament.

Some really good talent coming through , obviously your boy Foden, Leicester boys Barnes and Maddison look good and like look of that Solanke for Bournemouth.

I wonder if his personal life has affected his play this season?

I won't join in the pile on for Stones hate in here. I'll always support him for stopping the dippers winning the title.

None of us really know why Stones hasn't been picked for City, so it's unfair to say "He's just shit now and tonight proves it". There is a likely possibility that he was shit tonight because he hasn't been playing and needs a run of games.

People are so reactionary these days.

John Stones not for the first time has been a disaster waiting to happen.
He wonders why he is not a regular in Peps first team (call it what you want).
He believes he is better than what he actually is !!!
Arrogant,too much self belief ??
Call it what you want.
He his nowhere at the level of Kompany,VVG,Adams,Terry,etc etc !!!
For those of who still think he will be able to fill the void of Kompany .. think again.Nowhere near the level.
Can't say I'm concerned about tonight, at City he trusts his keeper, tonight he had Pickford, who's distribution is little better than Hart, in midfield he had Delph, who he mostly used, Barkley (see 3rd goal), at City he often has Walker and Zinchenko from FB, Laporte, Fernandhino, Gundogan, KdB, 2 Silva's, Foden, and Delph, every one of them comfortable with their back to a player.

He was hesitant tonight because he doesn't trust those around him, even Walker is not ahead of him when passing it out.

Southgate wants to play this way, but has inferior players to do it, its easy to slag Stones off but look at the rest, that midfield tonight was awful, no control whatsoever.

See above, its not just that.
Even if the movement/support around him was not up to scratch that doesn't mean he didn't have a bad game. That isn't the point anyway, I was saying if for arguments sake, lets say he was as shit as everyone was saying, people are still making far too much of it.

I know they say you are only as good as your last performance but that's not to be taken so literally. To take one bad performance and say it outweighs a mountain of good performances that came before it is just reactionary. He was definitely good enough for City and England when in form and fit, if we are to say his level has dropped(ie no longer good enough), it will take a far greater sample of performances to reach that conclusion fairly.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm concerned about tonight, at City he trusts his keeper, tonight he had Pickford, who's distribution is little better than Hart, in midfield he had Delph, who he mostly used, Barkley (see 3rd goal), at City he often has Walker and Zinchenko from FB, Laporte, Fernandhino, Gundogan, KdB, 2 Silva's, Foden, and Delph, every one of them comfortable with their back to a player.

He was hesitant tonight because he doesn't trust those around him, even Walker is not ahead of him when passing it out.

Southgate wants to play this way, but has inferior players to do it, its easy to slag Stones off but look at the rest, that midfield tonight was awful, no control whatsoever.
Therefore can I just confirm that you are saying that it was Englands fault that this defeat was solely down to the manager and not an individuals persistent fault ??
OFFS .Stones was awful and not for the first time.
He is not on the same level as those players I originally mentioned.
Why dont you just admit that he fucked up big style and although NOT solely to blame was the biggest culprit !!!

Even if the movement/support around him was not up to scratch that doesn't mean he didn't have a bad game.
I didn't say he didn't have a bad game, he did, but there are reasons other than "he's crap" which some are spouting (not you).

You could find fault with him for all three goals in reality, but the header is the basic mistake for me, he was too slow on the runner, a basic defenders mistake.

Indecision on the second, wanted to play forward, nobody on, looked at the keeper, and it was Pickford not Ederson, too late the ball has gone, he could actually have gone square to Walker, but I'm not sure he saw him, if he had, he'd have trusted him.

The third, he passes that ball to anyone of our players, we keep the ball and end up on the attack 90% of the time, but Barkley couldn't deal with the pressure.

As I said above its easy to slag him off, but 2 or 3 of those don't happen playing for City.

Why dont you just admit that he fucked up big style and although NOT solely to blame was the biggest culprit !!!
Chill mate, I've said he wasn't good, de Ligt would have had the same problems in that England defence/team.

Anyway, I'm currently rewatching a bloody marvellous FA Cup final now, its chalk and cheese with that england side even starting with four blues, the playing out from the back is confident and precise, and that was far from our best game ever ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.