UEFA Nations League Finals | 19:45 - Final - Portugal vs Netherlands (Page 164)

Didn't even know England were playing ?? I'm that interested......!
I'm pleased they lost. One less pointless game for our England contingent to play. Pisses me off that in a Summer with no euro or word cup someone found a need to invent a reason for players to still get next to no rest before the next season

What a piss poor response.
Just accept that two City players were at the forefront of an England defeat.

England’s manager was for picking a player who’s barely played and for insisting they play out from the back when he doesn’t have the personnel in midfield or in goals to do it, nor the organisational ability himself.

You mean the same Stones that hooked the ball off the line in January. Some right fickle twats
Spot-on. Stones has been superb for England over the last two years, especially the World Cup. Now the bullies in the press want him to be their latest England scapegoat. I thought both teams looked tired (the Dutch less so but most of them play in Holland which is much easier). The match was riddled with errors on both sides. There is just too much football for these players (accepting that Stones has had a stop-start season for City with injuries and personal issues) We need to back our players because no one else will when the latest witchhunt starts.

Stones seemed to spend the whole match searching for Gundogan or Fernandindo, but only finding Declan Rice and a club team mate, who was last spotted struggling at Left Back against Swansea City.

He also missed Ederson's presence, particularly for the 2nd goal when City's keeper would have been far closer to the ball than Everton's keeper (no blame attached to Pickford: it's just a different style)

However, the biggest irony was reserved for the set pieces
Holland looked dangerous from virtually every corner, whereas England's complicated routines were shambolic bordering on laughable.

All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.

England are currently reminding me of City during the 16/17 season: the foundation of a potentially brilliant side is there, but the current personnel attempting to bring this idea to life are some way off being able to do so. They're lacking the crucial details. For example, if Stones had found himself isolated with the ball while playing for City, the opposition striker bearing down on him, he'd simply shuffle the ball to Ederson. I'm not sure he has the same confidence in Pickford, much like he never did with Bravo, so last night he held on one second too long and paid for it. For City, you'd imagine that Fernandinho and Silva would drop deep to give him an option, or Zinchenko would move into midfield to make himself available. I'm not sure Barkley, Rice, or Chilwell are as intuitive to spot danger before it happens.

And therein lies the bigger problem: the midfield. They honestly looked clueless in possession. I'd love to know how many times Sterling, Sancho, and Rashford touched the ball between them, because they were given absolutely nothing by Rice and Barkley. Delph's job was more of a defensive one as opposed to being the distributor, so I can forgive him a little. Without the ball, though, they didn't press well enough, and for long periods of the game they were being passed through quite easily. That's where Delph fell short for me - he looked good in key moments but he never quite looked capable of controlling the game. England will look better with Henderson, Dier, and Alli in midfield for games in the future, but Southgate has to start getting things right. The goodwill from the World Cup won't last long if England struggle through their qualifying group.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.