It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

Seems to be quite a few reports popping up saying we won’t be spending much due to FFP? Surely that’s not a problem at the minute??

The difference is that Im not that partisan about City that I begin to elevate any of are managers tomythical status. I leave the poems and all that stuff to Utd and or Liverpool.

Peps great love him, made a significant difference but if you don't want to acknowledge that many of these players were finely tuned seasoned international players before they came to City, that's okay, we can disagree.

Fern didn't just turn into a world class DM, when Pep arrived. He was excelling at Shaktar years before as an attacking CM. Mancini converted him to DM, when he arrived at City to allow Yaya to push, Pellers continued the trend and the rest is history.

Pep has his been influential for individual players but the progression of a lot of are players and indeed the team has been for me driven by more factors such as the players actually being already very good or Pep identifying players he knows will be able to carry out his tactics.

That's not rocket science.

We also have an intelligent group now who collectively understand the evolution in are style of play and each others role within it.
But if u disagree and seemed to think the likes of BSilva and debruyne weren't world class before Pep.

Its okay.
I'd imagine that a City fan would easily know that Pellers signed Fernandinho. That's for another day.
Maybe our definition of world class is different but I wouldn't stress it. You'd be hard pressed to mention a DM in world football that has the abilities of Fern. This was someone that badly got found out at the other world cup.

Yes Pep has been working with elite talent but that's the result and reward of delivering at the highest levels consistently. Managers do not intentionally go from Bayern to Rotherham unless they fail at Bayern and Liverpool/Spurs are unwiling to take them. Pep got his big break from Barca B and never looked back.

Who says he wouldn't deliver if he was managing a smaller team? That opportunity simply hasn't presented itself because when you have the biggest european clubs ready to get you at the slightest oportunity, you'd never have the chance to go for A.S. Roma. Many managers have been backed but failed, many have had great first seasons but imploded in the next and were shown the door. Pep is consistently at the forefront always.

He's not perfect but no one is anyway.

I'd imagine that a City fan would easily know that Pellers signed Fernandinho. That's for another day.
Maybe our definition of world class is different but I wouldn't stress it. You'd be hard pressed to mention a DM in world football that has the abilities of Fern. This was someone that badly got found out at the other world cup.

Yes Pep has been working with elite talent but that's the result and reward of delivering at the highest levels consistently. Managers do not intentionally go from Bayern to Rotherham unless they fail at Bayern and Liverpool/Spurs are unwiling to take them. Pep got his big break from Barca B and never looked back.

Who says he wouldn't deliver if he was managing a smaller team? That opportunity simply hasn't presented itself because when you have the biggest european clubs ready to get you at the slightest oportunity, you'd never have the chance to go for A.S. Roma. Many managers have been backed but failed, many have had great first seasons but imploded in the next and were shown the door. Pep is consistently at the forefront always.

He's not perfect but no one is anyway.
I agree with everything you've just said particularly the notion that he could not manage in the lower leagues. Thats madness. I see where u were coming from now. Trust I'm not one of them that suggests that Pep can't do it without money. It's just I think it's important players like Sterling have their own ability and hard work acknowledged in addition to the support Pep has given him. to get thee If anything Pep and his peers at Barca, Bayern etc work under the greatest pressure because you either win or your a failure and or your or out. There's no transition period with these kind of managers although City did give Pep a bye in that first year. Thankfully.

The difference is that Im not that partisan about City that I begin to elevate any of are managers tomythical status. I leave the poems and all that stuff to Utd and or Liverpool.

Peps great love him, made a significant difference but if you don't want to acknowledge that many of these players were finely tuned seasoned international players before they came to City, that's okay, we can disagree.

Fern didn't just turn into a world class DM, when Pep arrived. He was excelling at Shaktar years before as an attacking CM. Mancini converted him to DM, when he arrived at City to allow Yaya to push, Pellers continued the trend and the rest is history.

Pep has his been influential for individual players but the progression of a lot of are players and indeed the team has been for me driven by more factors such as the players actually being already very good or Pep identifying players he knows will be able to carry out his tactics.

That's not rocket science.

We also have an intelligent group now who collectively understand the evolution in are style of play and each others role within it.
But if u disagree and seemed to think the likes of BSilva and debruyne weren't world class before Pep.

Its okay.
Thats all fair enough, and I think its perfectly ok to view things through a more critical lens than is usually done around here, but I think you’re vastly discounting Pep’s influence in Sterling’s case. He was obviously an extremely talented prospect but it was a transfer criticized as being wildly overpriced for a player who was thought to be a below average finisher and a headcase. It’s not a coincidence how much criticism he got after his first season here (including from many City fans) and his improvement since then has been plain to see using whatever metric you’d like. Whether its technical or just man management Pep has turned Sterling into a legitimate world class player, and that was not something people saw as a particularly likely outcome even two seasons ago.

He has made a difference, a negative one at Juventus, from Juventus fans themselves. The club backed themselves into a corner with the signing and have lost Allegri, who had done an amazing job building them back up. At his age Ronaldo is a liability, just like Zabaleta/Toure were with us at the end. He’s cost an absolute fortune in transfer fees and wages, none of which can be recovered and he’s divided the directors & management.

I fully appreciate everything he has done, he’s been the second best player in world football for a long time but that’s in the past, not the present. Madrid wouldn’t have let him go if he was still performing to his best. He’s not finished, but he’s not far short.
Zabba was never a liability

Thats all fair enough, and I think its perfectly ok to view things through a more critical lens than is usually done around here, but I think you’re vastly discounting Pep’s influence in Sterling’s case. He was obviously an extremely talented prospect but it was a transfer criticized as being wildly overpriced for a player who was thought to be a below average finisher and a headcase. It’s not a coincidence how much criticism he got after his first season here (including from many City fans) and his improvement since then has been plain to see using whatever metric you’d like. Whether its technical or just man management Pep has turned Sterling into a legitimate world class player, and that was not something people saw as a particularly likely outcome even two seasons ago.
Your completely right. Just said in an earlier post, for me it's important that Sterling's ability and hard work prior to city is acknowledged in equal measure to the impact Peps coaching has had on him. Sometimes I feel the media snidily roll out Peps influence on Sterling to make out he was shit beforehand which he weren't. He was an international with over 30 Caps, with much of Europe vying for his signature.

Your completely right. Just said in an earlier post, for me it's important that Sterling's ability and hard work prior to city is acknowledged in equal measure to the impact Peps coaching has had on him. Sometimes I feel the media snidily roll out Peps influence on Sterling to make out he was shit beforehand which he weren't. He was an international with over 30 Caps, with much of Europe vying for his signature.

Sterling explained that he had been controlling the ball with the outside of his boot, but Guardiola spotted this and advised against it. The City manager told his player that he was losing a split second by controlling a pass this way, and corrected this tiny flaw in Sterling's game.

"When I used to dribble, I’d be on the wing and I'd control it with the outside of my foot – it slows the ball down," Sterling told reporters on Monday, ahead of England's friendly with Italy at Wembley.

"'If you control it like this,' (Guardiola said to Sterling), 'the ball's stuck under your feet... One touch, open up quicker'. [Guardiola] has switched my brain back on. 'Oh yeah — why aren't I doing that?'"

Pep is on another level.

Very true, he definitely wasn’t a nobody from the second divison. Honestly though, the examples I think are even more impressive are those of Aguero and David Silva. Both world class talents when he arrived they each took a step up and, in my opinion, have each played the best football of their careers at age 30+. I don’t know if thats technical coaching (probably not), the system, man management, or the standards going up, but to make a difference in players like that is amazing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.