FIFA Women's WC France 2019

Yeah,thats essentially what I meant. Can't bloody stand it personally
Putting aside the "can't celebrate" argument (it hasn't stopped rugby or cricket yet - but it adds "disappointment" as we found out in April), I generally support it, but it has to been shown to the paying public, and the decision explained, so there can be as little ambiguity as possible.

Last night in the USA game, a penalty was given for a foul by the use of VAR, but the foul wasn't inside the box, it was just before play entered the box. The referee missed the "foul" and gave a corner, it's then checked by VAR, and eventually the referee, and she changes her original decision. Even on TV its not clear if its in or out of the penalty area, but it's definitely a foul, so she gives a penalty because its tight, and she missed the foul. On the half way line that's not checked, 25 yards out it's not checked, 3 yards out it's not checked, 1/2 yard out it's checked, and subsequently changed because it might have carried on into the box (unclear from the various angles), but as its "close" you can do anything you want, and they will.

Another thing, its been clear (on TV) that the replays offered to the referee are at best subjective, sometimes only one (familiar ??) is offered by the VAR team, again it can be manipulated, so all angles need to be available (and used), and shown on screen in the stadium with an explanation from the referee as to why they have made the decision, only then will it be pretty transparent, and an improvement.

We see the replays.
Only on TV currently, and even then the referee sometimes doesn't get them all, even though they are available.

The PL have said they will show it at the stadiums (good), but still not the explanation behind the reasoning (so its still going to be subjective), and the video is not happening at all in either trafford or anfield at the current time either.

Only on TV currently, and even then the referee sometimes doesn't get them all, even though they are available.

The PL have said they will show it at the stadiums (good), but still not the explanation behind the reasoning (so its still going to be subjective), and the video is not happening at all in either trafford or anfield at the current time either.

Yes. But even on TV. We see what the VR sees. So it makes it much harder for them to be ‘corrupt’ as we can call it out.

Whereas before a ref could give a dodgy penalty and we give him the benefit of doubt because of the angle he was looking at and the speed of the game. Of course though ... most fans never did give the benefit of doubt and instead booed, jeered and call the ref a cheating cu^t - and this is what we want to stick too ?

Yes. But even on TV. We see what the VR sees. So it makes it much harder for them to be ‘corrupt’ as we can call it out.
How can we "call it out" ?

As for "is this what we want to stick too ?" I've already answered that above of course not, (although having a referee I can't "blame" harms my enjoyment sometimes), but TV fans should not be the first priority, that should be the fans in the stadium, and as I said good luck in trafford or anfield.

Can’t argue with the retake. Keeper broke the rules. Kick should be retaken. The encroachment is irrelevant as it did not affect the result of the first pen. If the keeper saved it and it came out to an encroaching player then that offence should be penalised.

My issue with VAR is not with the clear offence such as this and offside but for the objective decisions where it all seems to do is pass it from one person to another. There seems to be some decisions made in the van and others that call the ref over to review on the screen.

Can’t argue with the retake. Keeper broke the rules. Kick should be retaken. The encroachment is irrelevant as it did not affect the result of the first pen. If the keeper saved it and it came out to an encroaching player then that offence should be penalised.
I think you can, the rules are you can't encroach, just as the keeper has to have one foot on the line, and the keeper has had no effect on the penalty (it was missed), so that had the same effect as the encroachment imho, the penalty taker is responsible for missing the target, not the keeper.

Anyway it can all be argued, but I wonder if the penalty miss was by Nigeria, would it have been retaken ? I'd hope the answer is yes, but I'm not convinced.

I think you can, the rules are you can't encroach, just as the keeper has to have one foot on the line, and the keeper has had no effect on the penalty (it was missed), so that had the same effect as the encroachment imho, the penalty taker is responsible for missing the target, not the keeper.

Anyway it can all be argued, but I wonder if the penalty miss was by Nigeria, would it have been retaken ? I'd hope the answer is yes, but I'm not convinced.

Oh. I thought it was saved. Don’t know then.

Well at the very least we can voice that opinion if it hasn’t been applied.
We see the replays. We see the ref has communicated to those who have had a better view. We can call out these errors.
Before , if a ref got it wrong. We couldn’t. We just had to accept it.

But we gotta to give it far more time, it’s only been around a couple of years and a few tournaments.
We’ve put up with inconsistent officiating for decades - surely we can allow technology a bit of time to be implemented and ironed out - the problem is though, one dodgy VAR decision and it’s blown out of massive proportion and overrides the vast majority that it does get right which previously under normal officiating. It wouldn’t.

You can't see it. This is no improvement. You just get another layer of blame. As for the bolded part, what a load of tosh.
We still have to, just accept it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.