FIFA Women's WC France 2019

They had to close the comments section to women's football stories on the BBC a long time ago exactly because of this. It's pathetic that some men are so threatened by successful women.

Some men are so insecure that their character leaves them no choice.Similar to a couple where the woman is the main bread winner or simply earns the higher wage,some men just can't handle that fact and ego destroys a relationship.

I love successful women,that is why i am with one :-)

It'll get bigger if more women are able to go professional. That'll improve the quality too obviously.
As I was saying to @Saddleworth2 earlier in the thread (in response to his excellent comments about how the women’s game is improving), women’s football really just needs time (and money, of course) to continue to develop.

Women’s football in most countries has only had a fraction of the time to develop compared to the men’s game (mostly due to cultural stigma and exclusion) — it’ll eventually be just as good from a technical, coaching, and entertainment perspective as the men’s game (which is what so many people seemingly criticise it for) if current trends for improved resourcing and support continue.

Look at the American men’s and women’s teams, where it is actually the reverse (i.e. the men’s team is bobbins and the women’s team are dominant and considered the benchmark) — that is ironically mostly down to cultural differences leading to different resourcing and support of the game in the USA.

I really enjoy watching women’s football — though, I would be lying if I said I “enjoyed” the 20 year-old university players absolutely destroying me in drop-in matches at the weekend here. ;-)

To be fair, though, one of them is in the US national team development programme, so I have that excuse.

Does anyone actually have a video of the USA celebrations? I watched a highlights video but it just included the goals and the immediate celebrations after each goal all seemed fairly standard for a team hammering an opponent. Not much different to the City Burton game celebrations.
The ninth saw the girl who scored it running to the dugout and then she slid on her knees and the dugout emptied. Pretty much the same for them all. After 5 or 6 they should have toned it down.

As I was saying to @Saddleworth2 earlier in the thread (in response to his excellent comments about how the women’s game is improving), women’s football really just needs time (and money, of course) to continue to develop.

Women’s football in most countries has only had a fraction of the time to develop compared to the men’s game (mostly due to cultural stigma and exclusion) — it’ll eventually be just as good from a technical, coaching, and entertainment perspective as the men’s game (which is what so many people seemingly criticise it for) if current trends for improved resourcing and support continue.

Look at the American men’s and women’s teams, where it is actually the reverse (i.e. the men’s team is bobbins and the women’s team are dominant and considered the benchmark) — that is ironically mostly down to cultural differences leading to different resourcing and support of the game in the USA.

I really enjoy watching women’s football — though, I would be lying if I said I “enjoyed” the 20 year-old university players absolutely destroying me in drop-in matches at the weekend here. ;-)

To be fair, though, one of them is in the US national team development programme, so I have that excuse.

Attitudes and times change. 30 odd years ago my daughter was talented enough to be picked for her primary school team although she had to get special permission from the Scottish FA (i kid you not). She was very good and continued to be in the school team throughout primary and up to third year in senior school (the same school team that produced Darren Fletcher a few years later). At the time it was seen as very unusual and she finally gave up when the physicality and (sometimes disgusting) comments from the touchline and from opposition teams got too much. There was no real facility or infrastructure at her age to play womens football.

Fast forward to last weekend when I watched her daughters (my grandaughters) aged 7 and 11 play for their respective club teams. The eldest plays in an age group that fields three teams from elite through to developing every week. Thats not unusual in the league she plays in. Her role models are Steff Houghton and Claire Elmsley (who was born just up the road from where we live). They are both currently glued to the womens world cup.

The difference in three decades is phenomenal and is continuing to gather pace. Football has so much to offer kids, I think its absolutely brilliant that young girls can now gain the same fantastic experiences that we took for granted when we were young. Long may womens football continue to flourish and big kudos for City to provide such an infrastructure and support for the womens game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.