Ndombele (signed for Spurs)

He wasn’t “advised” to join Spurs. He wants to join Spurs. He is capable of making his own decisions, you know.

He was shown around the new stadium and the training ground and was, understandably, deeply impressed. He met with Pochettino and was equally impressed. He knows that Spurs have qualified for the CL for the past four seasons and that they were CL finalists last season.

Above all, he knows that Spurs have been his most persistent suitor over the past year and a half; that they want and need him very much; and that they aren’t merely stockpiling players just because they can. He knows that he will be a starter. He needs and wants to test himself in one of the two strongest leagues in Europe - Premier League or La Liga.

At what other club, that could afford him, would he get all of the above? Of the clubs with better immediate prospects in the PL, neither City nor Liverpool could offer him anything like as certain a starting role. Likewise Barca and Real in La Liga. Atletico could perhaps have done so but they have just bought Llorente.

All told, I think Spurs under Poch is the perfect club for him to continue his development. He’s only 22. Madrid or Barca can wait.
Did you have a sly dig at City there JB with your stock piling quote or am I being paranoid?

Did you have a sly dig at City there JB with your stock piling quote or am I being paranoid?

Nope. Wouldn't dream of having a dig at City on Bluemoon! I'm not that foolish. Or brave.

I was thinking more of Chelsea (who are, or were, notorious for it), PSG and Real Madrid.

He wasn’t “advised” to join Spurs. He wants to join Spurs. He is capable of making his own decisions, you know.

He was shown around the new stadium and the training ground and was, understandably, deeply impressed. He met with Pochettino and was equally impressed. He knows that Spurs have qualified for the CL for the past four seasons and that they were CL finalists last season.

Above all, he knows that Spurs have been his most persistent suitor over the past year and a half; that they want and need him very much; and that they aren’t merely stockpiling players just because they can. He knows that he will be a starter. He needs and wants to test himself in one of the two strongest leagues in Europe - Premier League or La Liga.

At what other club, that could afford him, would he get all of the above? Of the clubs with better immediate prospects in the PL, neither City nor Liverpool could offer him anything like as certain a starting role. Likewise Barca and Real in La Liga. Atletico could perhaps have done so but they have just bought Llorente.

All told, I think Spurs under Poch is the perfect club for him to continue his development. He’s only 22. Madrid or Barca can wait.
What tosh, you actually believe that Poch is a good selling point 16 trophies failed, how many times have Lyon qualified fr CL in the last 10 years? yes he will get an immediate start at Tottenham but that should have started the alarm bells ringing as well,and if he was not `advised` he has one awful agent, but then we know that as he agreed a five year contract when three would have been more than enough to prove himself and enable himself to move on to better opportunities

What tosh, you actually believe that Poch is a good selling point 16 trophies failed, how many times have Lyon qualified fr CL in the last 10 years? yes he will get an immediate start at Tottenham but that should have started the alarm bells ringing as well,and if he was not `advised` he has one awful agent, but then we know that as he agreed a five year contract when three would have been more than enough to prove himself and enable himself to move on to better opportunities

No point asking me whether I think Poch is a good selling point for Spurs. Ask Ndombele. By all accounts, he was the one who was impressed.

Sure, Lyon usually qualify for the CL (though not every year). But they play in Ligue 1 - a league that is several notches below the Premier League. Playing for Spurs in the Premier League will be a big step up.

And if you really think that, in this Bosman era, any club that isn’t run by an idiot is going to pay a whopping £60m to sign a player on a mere three year contract, then you really haven’t thought about it carefully enough. The only senior players who are offered that kind of contract these days are those nearing the end of their careers who will have little resale value anyway.

Ndombele is only 22. If he eventually wants to move to Real Madrid or Barcelona, he will get his chance (provided he continues his development). In the meanwhile, Spurs under Poch is a brilliant club for him.

Last edited:
Missed a trick here not pursuing this guy. Spurs getting him for 55m as well, whereas we'd probably have been quoted 70. Still looked quality against us last season though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.