Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs being one of the darlings only makes sense because they are a London club(especially with Arsenal and Chelsea on the decline). They, like Chelsea are relative newcomers to the top of the English game, that video of the top 10 topflight table someone posted confirmed it for me. Not that they weren't well supported, but they were well funded throughout the 70s and 80s, that's how they rose. If I remember right neither of them(Spurs or Chelsea) appear in the top 10, until the 1980s which says it all.

Everything about today's game is skewed because of the belief that the 90s were the golden age of English football. The breakaway topflight league, the uneven splits... it's easy to see which clubs enjoyed the 90s the most and why they think that, but for them to turn around now and complain about where this has "organically" progressed to is unfair when it was their own greed that led to it, is hypocrisy.

I don’t agree with your first sentence.

Don’t forget, Spurs were one of the original 'Big Five', along with their North London neighbours, Everton and the two cheeks of the same arse.

As long as I can remember (early 70s) Tottenham have been loved by the English media and it was their then-chairman, Alan Sugar, who phoned Sty to inform dear Mr Murdoch's lackies how much ITV had bid in the broadcasting rights negotiations leading up to the first deal in the Premier League era.

The ghost of Bill Nicholson might come back and haunt you for that!
I'm aware of their periods of success but have you watched the video I'm talking about? Perhaps I should have even said "in the 60s and the 80s" in place of the 70s because besides some splurges towards the end of them, Spurs weren't as actively spending as I imagined in the 70s. Now that I've looked at it more closely I can see that. Looking at the season before their title win under Nicholson though, it appears they could be considered well funded in that period compared to those around them:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/pre...d=1959&s_w=&leihe=0&leihe=1&intern=0&intern=1
Top spenders in 1959-60 £124k spent, next highest spenders Everton £27k. Top spenders in 1961-62(£113k) and 1964-65(£284k) too. Great resource, transfermarkt, for finding this stuff out IMO. Spending seems to start rocketing midway through the 60s looking at it. Someone should do a bar chart race for the transfer spending. A visual representation of when it started going crazy and which clubs pulled away in spending might be interesting.

Back on topic, my point was more about consistently being at the top, than honours on their own. What better way to show that, than how many points in the topflight your club has racked up? Their whole argument about history falls flat on its face looking at that; the very thing they use to diminish City's current status, now that they are winning things again. We have a skewed view ourselves but some day we'll be gone and the period we lived in will be seen as old news too.

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

Spurs first appearance mid 80s... no signs of dirty Leeds at all, which is a nice bonus.

Last edited:
I don’t agree with your first sentence.

Don’t forget, Spurs were one of the original 'Big Five', along with their North London neighbours, Everton and the two cheeks of the same arse.

As long as I can remember (early 70s) Tottenham have been loved by the English media and it was their then-chairman, Alan Sugar, who phoned Sty to inform dear Mr Murdoch's lackies how much ITV had bid in the broadcasting rights negotiations leading up to the first deal in the Premier League era.
Yes I'm aware of that too, the meeting with Greg Dyke. Those were the top clubs at the time and having Alan Sugar on board did no harm it seems. Being a large London club is a big help too though in my opinion, perhaps "only" was not the right way to put it though. The North West is well represented(is there enough room for 3 darlings at the same time?), so they will make sure London is too.

I do hope you're not misunderstanding my meaning of "relative newcomers". When one club appears in the 1930s and again from the 50s right through until today, compared to a team making their first appearance in the mid 80s. I think that proves the point I was making. Obviously I'm not claiming they were a small club only that the favouritism is not justified.

Last edited:
He changes his mind every five minutes, just like his opinion on spending when someone else has an open wallet, and it still doesn't account for player after player being quoted every week of the season about them never thinking about City. Face it, he could hardly say he didn't think about City after that Kompany goal, he knew then that the game was up.

I've followed him since Dortmund and I couldn't disagree more. I find him to be very true to himself and his base philosophy. Very predictable and consistent. One can always find contradiction of you cherry pick quotes and take things out of context.

I write this because it's my personal experience. There are a lot of good people in Liverpool, but they are under siege and the feral street rats are making it a real feat to escape the process, without leaving the rotting carcass of a city. It is our Naples, or Palermo, its a crime ridden city, where psychotic criminals rule up close and from afar.
But this persona that they identify with means that the city is doomed.

I lived in Naples for 3 years and always described it as just Liverpool with sunshine

I've followed him since Dortmund and I couldn't disagree more. I find him to be very true to himself and his base philosophy. Very predictable and consistent. One can always find contradiction of you cherry pick quotes and take things out of context.

“Even if I could I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on players”

A year later.....
“SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY”

:-)

“Even if I could I wouldn’t spend that kind of money on players”

A year later.....
“SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY”

:-)
But it's all our fault he had to change his ideology.

I have no problems with them spending money, it's the bullshit around it and klippy that never gets called out, maybe that's for the media thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.