Nationalisation..

I can't comment on Northern Rail but although Virgin Rail provide a pretty good service, the price is absolutely appalling. It simply should not cost anywhere near that to travel. We've got used to being ripped off by transport companies so people just seem to accept the shocking prices.
People are so blasé about money in this country. They wouldn’t stand in front of a grid and pour pound coins down it for minutes on end, but they may as well.

It’s the same with football. So many people defend football clubs for the prices they charge, many people never got involved in the FSF’s “Twenty Is Plenty” campaign and never moved a muscle in getting way tickets capped at £30. People have got so used to City taking the piss with ticket prices going up every year that they just see it as a normal thing but then wonder why we don’t sell out Wembley for the Community Shield or FA Cup semis.

It’s the same with everything. I don’t know what it is about people in this country but many just pull their pants down and bend over ready for people to give them a right seeing to up the ricker when it comes to money. Food, travel costs, gas electric water, tax, insurance... they don’t say or do owt about it and just pay the rises like they’re a fact of life.

Thread title should properly be Renationalization - all the targets are intended to be brought back into public ownership. Question is how to avoid the same problems that led to their earlier demise.

Look again .... if the right levels of corporation tax were collected together with the income derived from these privatised companies it should be achievable to run these renationalised companies on a not for profit basis ... with a focus on service / value for money and customer care.

Don't forget .... if the companies don't make a profit the greedy bastards just hand them back ...

The question shouldn't be lets nationalise and just make a profit or not make a profit because who gives a toss.

Labour are spouting stuff about profit/loss etc but what is the plan for a functional rail network? Who will run it? How will it be organised? How will it be funded? When will Labour say HOW they will implement these nationalisations considering the state does not own a single national asset to operate them?!

Who even has the competence in Labour to run and implement a rail network? The last time I looked none of them had ever worked a proper job in their lives. They are all privately educated and beyond that have been immersed in council/union cushty jobs doing sod all prior to their political careers.

None of them have a single clue, they are totally devoid of any ideas beyond chucking money left, right and centre which means it might run but who knows and it will definitely start off at a massive loss. Reality will then hit home and the service will degrade and all you will get is a shrug of the shoulders because the unions are on strike as they want more money.

When you look at how Brexit is being handled by the Tories or how anti-Semitism in Labour is being handled... Why should we trust any of these morons to run a bath let alone some of the most important infrastructure of the country??! I would rather pay TENFOLD the amount compared to the lights going off, the trains being late or god forbid them putting our taxes up to clean up their incompetent mess.

The current situation isn't perfect but the alternative would be a total disaster and to say otherwise is idealistic foolishness at best.

The question shouldn't be lets nationalise and just make a profit or not make a profit because who gives a toss.

Labour are spouting stuff about profit/loss etc but what is the plan for a functional rail network? Who will run it? How will it be organised? How will it be funded? When will Labour say HOW they will implement these nationalisations considering the state does not own a single national asset to operate them?!

Who even has the competence in Labour to run and implement a rail network? The last time I looked none of them had ever worked a proper job in their lives. They are all privately educated and beyond that have been immersed in council/union cushty jobs doing sod all prior to their political careers.

None of them have a single clue, they are totally devoid of any ideas beyond chucking money left, right and centre which means it might run but who knows and it will definitely start off at a massive loss. Reality will then hit home and the service will degrade and all you will get is a shrug of the shoulders because the unions are on strike as they want more money.

When you look at how Brexit is being handled by the Tories or how anti-Semitism in Labour is being handled... Why should we trust any of these morons to run a bath let alone some of the most important infrastructure of the country??! I would rather pay TENFOLD the amount compared to the lights going off, the trains being late or god forbid them putting our taxes up to clean up their incompetent mess.

The current situation isn't perfect but the alternative would be a total disaster and to say otherwise is idealistic foolishness at best.
Having worked on the railway for 26 years, I can only say that what was once a coherent and cohesive system when nationalised, and was run in the interests of the nation, has become something quite different.
Not every aspect of privatisation has been negative, of course, however, on balance I would prefer BRITISH RAIL to Branson rail (sic).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.