It's Quiet 32 - enter at own risk

On a wider note about strikers coming through from the junior ranks....we have been shite at this for as long as I have been watching us (early 60s).

The best in all that time was Sturridge and all the rest have been ordinary to fucking useless.

Moulden...slow as treacle
The Beckfords...shite
And my all time favourite...

Barney Daniels. All Barney could do was strike a football incredibly hard. He had no other footballing skills so as soon as he got over the halfway line the crowd would be urging him to shoot. He was starring in the Salford Sunday League in his late 20s.

Loads more if anyone cares to list them.
Ah Barney Ashton United's finest.

I really hope Jesus steps up into that role over the next two years, because if he doesn’t we’re going to have a hell of a time trying to buy anyone near Sergio’s level in the type of deal we’ve been doing over the last two summers. Strikers don’t come cheap, and the only ones I think could plausibly do the job are 150m type players.
Equally we have Sterling who could easily be moulded into a striker and Sergio’s long term replacement. He may miss the odd sitter but who doesn’t, what you can absolutely guarantee though is that his movement would create more chances than any striker anywhere in the world and I include Messi, Mbappe and anyone else you care to name.

Then you have to maybe bring in a replacement winger or maybe even a central midfielder if Bernardo is going to be used predominantly from the right hand side. At that stage you can look at Doyle and Poveda coming through over the next few years and ask yourself if we really need a replacement at all.

Jesus scores plenty of goals. I don't think he'll ever have the pure finishing ability Aguero has but he's inventive and on par with Sterling for getting in goalscoring positions.

Do we need a 30 goal a season striker? Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t swap Sergio and his goals for the world but like for like replacements are impossible to find.

It’s similar to the Toure situation, most people were begging to sign Pogba as he was deemed the most similar player at the time. We went down a different route with KDB and Silva in #8 roles which very few predicted and even fewer predicted would work in the Premier League on a “cold, wet night in Stoke”.

You should always play to the individuals and teams strengths. If we lose Aguero’s goals but Jesus creates more space and chances for the likes of Foden & Sterling to exploit then we could easily make those goals up in different ways just like we did with Toure’s passing and goals.
Everyone says gabby creates space for others and not what a great striker he is,there is no way to make up 30 goals with him doing that,be a striker or don't be a striker

The best team perfornances I have seen from us feature Jesus. I am a big fan and I do not believe he has to be a replacement for an out and out goal scorer if he helps others contribute far more. He's an exceptional talent IMO

Everyone says gabby creates space for others and not what a great striker he is,there is no way to make up 30 goals with him doing that,be a striker or don't be a striker
I personally wouldn’t call Gabby a “great” striker just yet purely due to the fact he’s not had the chance to play consistently, partly due to Sergio being Sergio and partly due to injuries.

I definitely think he’s got the potential to be a great striker, regular starts will make a huge difference to his confidence. Even Sergio usually struggles for form/goals for 3/4 games when he comes back into the team after missing a few games. In terms of the physical and technical qualities I think he’s got everything. It’s just a case of refining those qualities, building his confidence and him becoming more consistent.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.