City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

Ask them then and if they say they find it offensive don't use it , it really isn't that difficult. It's not for a white English born person to tell people what they should or should not consider offensive or rude. that goes for people of any background that may have been discriminated against in the past or present whether on race, nationality, religion, sexuality whatever. If they find something offensive then it's just common decency and respect not to do it.
The " white English born" reference is fuck all relevance to your post. Replace that with "anyone" and we're OK, and before anyone asks no I'm not offended.

No its not.

The underlying logic here is that the goal is to make a speech inoffensive. That's ridiculous and pointless. You cant make any even remotely controversial point without being in some way offensive to someone somewhere. The standard is impossible. You cant say "fuck the scousers" without being offensive. You cant say "I prefer brown sauce on my bacon butty" without offending the odd person who has dedicated their life to the study of ketchup.

It's not up to me to regulate your emotional response. I'll try not to purposely antagonize but if the choice is between making my point in the way that I want or offending you then you're going to be offended.

People now use offence as a power play. It's not a legitimate concern of mental distress caused to someone, it's a way of shutting down things they dont like by inventing mythical or conceptual hypothetical people that might be offended and saying that this is a bad thing somehow. The only way to play the game in the modern world is to opt out of the whole system. Be offensive, be offended. It's ok. It doesn't kill you. You're not going to die because somebody called you a ****.

As ever, the Fry comment on this is accurate.

I agree to a point.There are lines though, those lines shift with circumstances. There is racist homophobic language that would get be banned on bluemoon,there is language I could use on bluemoon that would get me thrown off TV or radio. What I am allowed to get away with in the pub with friends is different to what's allowed at work, even in the street there is language that can be seen by most as hateful and could get me arrested. The club have drawn a line here but depending where we are there will always be a line somewhere.

Society in general needs to keep in mind the word 'INTENT'. If someone genuinely intends to cause offence it is usually quite obvious. Beyond this, make some allowances for those who don't understand or can't keep up with the shifting sands of PC-culture. Two gay friends of mine - a couple - told me of a very cheerful (but not terribly bright) guy they work with. "So what do poufters like you actually DO in bed then?" Yes - you could get a guy sacked for asking something like that. But they just laughed. A hopelessly ill-judged but quite innocent question coming from someone who just didn't understand social norms. No malice at all. It really is best to make allowances and offer a quiet word of friendly advice sometimes.

Remember too that anybody from any culture can be racist. It is understandable to see people getting annoyed if treatment of offenders is not even-handed. I was recently asked to sign a petition campaigning to curb social media access for 'racist far-right groups'. I had to ask: why not for ALL racist groups? Is anti-semitism from the far-left OK?

We need more understanding and more tolerance. And even-handed treatment towards those who cross the line, whatever their cultural background.

Listening to Alex Ferguson post match interviews used to incite hatred. Should we have locked him up?
As usual. You miss the point. I was referring to the legal framework . And yes, if AF words could be directly linked to an incident he should have been prosecuted (or do not believe in consequences for your own actions? Are you all about your rights and not your responsibilities ?

I agree to a point.There are lines though, those lines shift with circumstances. There is racist homophobic language that would get be banned on bluemoon,there is language I could use on bluemoon that would get me thrown off TV or radio. What I am allowed to get away with in the pub with friends is different to what's allowed at work, even in the street there is language that can be seen by most as hateful and could get me arrested. The club have drawn a line here but depending where we are there will always be a line somewhere.

And that's sort of the problem. The lines are constantly moving and shifting and changing direction that for the most part they are functionally useless to exist. Lines in the sand arent a good idea on windy days.

Ultimately though it comes back to the idea of "you cant say that here". This isn't complaining about the nuances of different social groups but instead the idea that people outside your social space should be judged on the same bylaws as those inside it.

Again the only way to play this game is to not play it at all. Accept that you'll be offended and offensive and move on.

As usual. You miss the point. I was referring to the legal framework . And yes, if AF words could be directly linked to an incident he should have been prosecuted (or do not believe in consequences for your own actions? Are you all about your rights and not your responsibilities ?

So if Alex Ferguson said "City were crap" and this made me go out and shoot up a bunch of United fans, then Alex Ferguson should be prosecuted?

And you're calling this an adherence to responsibilities

Coming from a Chinese background having lived in many countries, in Asia and the west, I got used to to having racial stuff directed at me some more vicious and hurtful than others. I might have been desensitized by it now although I have to admit the last time some guy just blurted out to me, ching Chong ching... some nonsensical Chinese sounding words in a heavily faked Chinese accent, deep down it still made feel uncomfortable but you just have to shrug it off.

I spent 28 years in the Army and finally left due to being programmed on what to think. By the end of my career I could barely recognise what a left wing limp wristed minority propaganda machine it had become. Thankfully I'd made my money and retired 4 years ago aged 47. Frankly I'm so lucky that I no longer have to put up with this modern day incessant brainwashing on freedom of speech & conscience from any employer. God knows it's difficult enough listening to it from the BBC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.