City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

Do you think the two sacked are right wing blowhards as you put it, or just misjudged attempted humour.
Doesn't really matter. They are in the public eye, fronting the club in media and entertainment areas.
If they don't know where the lay lines are in that savage wilderness they shouldn't be doing the gig!!
If you are gonna burn in the media, jeez, do it for something more controversial that a crap chinese accent!!!

Mike McClean has been the only presenter we’ve had who’s engaged the crowd well in my experience. His mild piss-taking style is quite funny. Sorry to see him go.

I found him absolutely shit and nothing more than an oddball who seemed to enjoy making kids/women feel uncomfortable at the game. Glad he's gone, Ferris next

Damo, you're too much of an intelligent guy to be making strawman arguments like this. There's space for nuanced discussion about this issue because it's a complex one, we don't need to resort to stuff like this, do we?

It's not a strawman, its pointing to the absurdity of the chain of responsibility for speech. The idea that I am responsible for somebody else's interpretation and action based on my speech is literally ridiculous

It's not a strawman, its pointing to the absurdity of the chain of responsibility for speech. The idea that I am responsible for somebody else's interpretation and action based on my speech is literally ridiculous
Admittedly, I think something has been lost in the discussions around this type of thing, so I can mostly understand why you've come to feel the way you do, but I think what's been lost is the most crucial aspect of this. I think we come at this discussion from the wrong angle if we think people being offended is the most important aspect of debates like this. It's easy to see a mock Chinese accent as harmless fun - hell, it doesn't offend me and, as you've said, it doesn't offend the Chinese people you know - but accepting and normalising this type of humour means that it's "acceptable" and "normal" to treat Chinese people as something less, as something to be mocked, be it for the way they behave, the way they act, everything. It might not do much damage short term but this kind of behaviour has a long-term drip effect. It might just be the difference between a Chinese person landing a job or not, being dealt with properly by the police or not, being beaten up for their accent or not. Whereas, a little slap on the wrist for "Squeaky" and "Wingman" here just reinforces the message that it's not okay to mock Chinese accents and, by extension, Chinese people. It's not about offence really, offence is only short term, it's about perception and basic human decency.

Sounds like your sense of humour is shite, mate if you find that kind of thing funny.
The legend that is Bernard Manning once said ‘ they can’t stop us laughing’ but the hypocritically correct tell us what to say and what to think.
They can all go and do something to themselves that rhymes with duck.

The legend that is Bernard Manning once said ‘ they can’t stop us laughing’ but the hypocritically correct tell us what to say and what to think.
Give it a rest fella,irrespective of your opinion,the world has changed,and the majority think for the better.

Nobody has the right to ridicule another.

Yeah, we can laugh at jokes that are funny.

Did you ever see Manning live? An utter racist, and if you think the horrible shite he came out with is funny then heaven help you

Did you ever see Manning live? An utter racist, and if you think the horrible shite he came out with is funny then heaven help you
An example from when I saw him, the week after an earthquake in Japan killed 3,000, Bernard’s witty line of “what about that earthquake in Japan eh, over 3,000 dead, ...... fucking brilliant, slitty eyed cunnts”, I fucking hate them”. Oh the wit of the man

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.