Var debate 2019/20

From where I was it was obvious to everyone in the stadium apart from that dick Oliver, and obviously the fuckers doing the VAR. May be should go to spec savers
Biased twats
Oliver is a chicken. Always has been. Doesn’t ant the controversy that comes with a decision that someone (anyone!) might question.

There was a time when everyone considered him the next big thing in refs. Today?

Refs are going to play it safe with VAR, and the refs in the VAR HQ are not going to undermine their buddy in the field unless it is so obvious they would be pilloried.

IFAB have simply gone too far with the handball thing. Nobody wants anyone scoring with their hand, no matter how inadvertently, and everyone wants the game to be played fairly, but this “any arm contact leading to a goal” is beyond stupid, just as the “armpit was offside” by a millimeter was last week.

I’m sure that while no-one will admit to things changing using the season, s untenable that we continue as we have started with this technology. The game is suffering and the fans’ emotion is being reduced to a wait for VAR.

Next goal City score, no-one should celebrate and the players should just congregate by the VAR screen at that end of the field, arms folded, waiting for the goal be given (or not). If given, they should just politely clap the decision and walk back to our half of the field, no high fives, no backslapping, no nothing. If not, they should clap the scoreboard and then walk back to their positions. No emotion either way.

A silent protest that would be shown worldwide and highlight the VAR dilemma in the PL.

I'm willing to give it a chance for a season - it just needs to be consistent. Currently I'm not surprised to see the hate for it, we're getting shafted left and right and only 2 games in.

So far we're the team being screwed by it; but the offside rule and the handball rule seem to be fairly clearly set out for VAR usage - they simply cannot justify now not giving these same decisions against Liverpool/United/whoever. (Although saying that it appears the Premier League are misusing the official IFAB rules on this new handball rule; and according to those written rules Laporte shouldn't have been penalised as he didn't control the ball after it hit his arm (!)).

It's the penalty decision that's the most frustrating, because they cannot be consistent with that; sometimes we'll see them call down and give a penalty, and other times we won't.

For me it should have been implemented slower; starting with the clear cut decisions (e.g. just goals where offside is in question, or where handball is in question), so that we can be eased in to how it will work. Rather than thrusting it into all aspects of the game at once, but hey.

You can see us being screwed by it but youre willing to give it a chance, how does that work ??

VAR is useful for things that are objective. Like touches hand of player or offside or not. Laporte did touch it based on the laws of the game goal cannot be given.

Big problem is the faults as lots of the faults are totally down to the referee to give it or not.

I only heard about the new handball rule last week. What a stupid rule. As is the interpretation of offside these days.

I knew that VAR would only benefit united and liverpool but it's still sickening to watch.

That said all other teams will just have to get the ball in the net more often to counteract this nonsense.

I was broadly in favour of VAR initially, but having seen the way it’s being implemented, and the effect it has on the match going fan, I’ve come to the conclusion that it is indeed actually as shit as many said it would be.

The issue is with the consistency of it’s use. The Rodri no-call cemented my fear that it will be down to the discretion of the operator whether they review something (+they decide the outcome on their subjective interpretation). They really should have formatted it into a tennis challenge system. It would keep the integrity of the game far better.

Anyone able to explain this:

When the penalty on Rodri wasn’t given, the defence was that VAR was there to prevent ‘clear and obvious’ errors. You’ve seen those given, you’ve seen them not given. ‘I trust Michael Oliver’s judgment’ said Martin Tyler.

Okay. If, like reviews in cricket, VAR is there not to re-referee marginal calls but to avoid real howlers, then the decision not to award a penalty can be argued to be fair enough.

Two things. First, the “handball” was barely discernible in real time. Oliver didn’t spot it, the spurs players didn’t appeal for it. The ball might have brushed Laporte’s arm, but in what way was the goal overturned as a result of a ‘clear and obvious’ error? It seems that the law was applied differently in the first instance than the second, and other than the fact that in the second case the team that stands to benefit from the rule plays in light blue, I can’t see any difference.

Secondly, perhaps it’s obvious to others, but it isn’t to me. Why did the sky sports commentators not point out that VAR is only there to correct clear and obvious errors? The justification for not awarding a penalty in the first half dictated that the goal should not have been disallowed in the second. So why was there no comment about the absence of that justification in the second?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.