Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

The VAR team spent a whole minute looking for a reason to overrule a goal that everyone else in the ground thought was a goal, yet they decided not to overturn an incorrect decision because they 'deemed' the referee 'saw' the incident?

Horse shit.

the differnce is that ALL goals will be reviewed according to VAR rules/implementation to check whether they should stand. Whether you like it or not the ball came off laportes hand and by thr new rules that is hand ball and the goal was correctly ruled offside.......the rule its self you can question but as the rule stands it was the correct decision.

fouls - they will only look at it and then over rule if they think the ref has made a major mistake...no matter what you or i think (Ithat the ref made a mistake) the VAR officials didnt think he did....the ref indcated that he hadnt got word from VAR that it was a penalty

what people are failing to grasp is that VAR works at different levels depending on what the situation is:

1. ALL goals will be reviewed - no matter what

2. VAR will judge on offisdes (because it can see what the naked eye cannt in real life and its a black or white decision).

3 .Fouls/potential fouls are for the ref and will only be over turned if the VAR officials believ the ref has either not seen it or has made a huge mistake - now this is where there is a human error/grey area....different people will see different incidents in different ways......most people thought it was a foul by Lamela on Rodri (including me) - however the ref didnt think it was and the VAR officials agreed with it - do I agree with the decision, NO I dont, but thats irrelevant.

Neville said what actually needs to happen here:

"If I was the referees back in Stockley Park, I'd be happy with the fact they've got the disallowed goal right but the first one [Erik Lamela on Rodri for a penalty in the first half], I think the officials at Stockley Park have to be stronger. I know that they've said it has to be clear and obvious to overrule the on-field referee, but for me that is clear and obvious.

"They've got to have the nerve and the courage to say, no, that is a penalty. We've not quite seen that yet. It's something I felt that day I went to Stockley Park with Jamie Carragher to get an understanding of what VAR was going to be. I felt that they weren't keen on overruling the referee on the pitch, which is right, but they have to overrule decisions like that.

However in this case the ref on the pitch and the VAR ref clearly agreed....the issue is what is deemed a foul and what isnt and that is always, alwyas open for debate

Im not defenisve of VAR

I believe it got one decision right (unfortunately) with the goal being chalked off by GJ

I believe the ref got the rodri decision wrong.....but VAR wont over rule decisions by refs unless its a clear wrong decision (this is what we are being told anyway)...the people in control of VAR learly didnt believe that the ref had made the wrong decision (or missed it completely) with the denial of the penalty....now you, me and every other city fan plus pundits and commentators all belive it was a penalty -but the refs (the one on the pitch and the ones using VAR didnt belive it was)

VAR is just another level of refeeing.......it will get most of its decisions right as with handballs and offsides it either a yes or no answer.....the bit where it will be contentious is the same area that ref's decisions have always been contentious.....ie, is it a foul or not type decisions....
Except it didn't get one decision right, according to the laws of the game Jesus' goal was perfectly allowable as Laporte neither scored, controlled the ball or gained possession by an accidental ball to shoulder incident therefore VAR incorrectly chalked off a perfectly good goal.
It also won't get most of the decisions right in relation to offside as we saw last week, the technology isn't capable yet to decide offsides to that margin that they have been doing, the only offside decisions it will definitively get right are the ones that a linesman would be able to spot normally without it.
Your argument that VAR works well because the referee missed a stonewall penalty that was also then missed by VAR is pretty bizarre really. If VAR isn't to be used to correct 'clear and obvious errors' like the Rodri penalty then what is it being used for except to make decisions on offside it can't measure accurately or rule out perfectly good goals for no reason?
It doesn't work in the form its being used, it's not being used to stop cheating but it is being used to disallow goals when players haven't done anything wrong or sought to gain an unfair advantage. Your assertion that it works because the VAR team missed a penalty along with the referee is using twisted logic to a way that's new to me. There's no shame in changing your opinion on something when new information is brought to light.

Not enough to drag you down apparently. Unless you are Rag or Dipper, than there was a contact.

Id be pissed off if that was given as a penalty for anyone.....there is no way that contact means the player falls over...its the stuff that Salah does all the time and we all hate so no way i want a penalty for that

now the first on rodri is definitely a penalty in my eyes

Except it didn't get one decision right, according to the laws of the game Jesus' goal was perfectly allowable as Laporte neither scored, controlled the ball or gained possession by an accidental ball to shoulder incident therefore VAR incorrectly chalked off a perfectly good goal.
It also won't get most of the decisions right in relation to offside as we saw last week, the technology isn't capable yet to decide offsides to that margin that they have been doing, the only offside decisions it will definitively get right are the ones that a linesman would be able to spot normally without it.
Your argument that VAR works well because the referee missed a stonewall penalty that was also then missed by VAR is pretty bizarre really. If VAR isn't to be used to correct 'clear and obvious errors' like the Rodri penalty then what is it being used for except to make decisions on offside it can't measure accurately or rule out perfectly good goals for no reason?
It doesn't work in the form its being used, it's not being used to stop cheating but it is being used to disallow goals when players haven't done anything wrong or sought to gain an unfair advantage. Your assertion that it works because the VAR team missed a penalty along with the referee is using twisted logic to a way that's new to me. There's no shame in changing your opinion on something when new information is brought to light.

the ball came off laporte and went straight to GJ hence it was disallowed because ball changed diretion and went to GJ and he socred....its deemed as a pass

is th rule wrong - yes, but by the rule in its present form its the correct decision.

For me the Oliver refereeing performance and the VAR shit show were made so much more disappointing for how poor Spurs were.
Most games in the league we play are against teams with 10 men behind the ball but I was mostly looking forward to today's game as Spurs are meant to be a title rival and one of the top teams in the league so I was expecting them to play decent football. They've always been a snidey team under Pochettino but they used to have some ambition. That was a particularly cowardly and dull performance considering the money they've spent.

Really not liking this 'the whole world is against us' victim vibe coming across on here - we're beginning to sound like the dippers! The recent spate of VAR decisions against City surely reflects the ridiculous amount of chances we create, and isn't part of some wider conspiracy aimed at dislodging and destabilising us. It's also easy to use it as a distraction from the fact that, once again, City failed to kill off a game despite utterly dominating it and having unpteen chances to do so. City's own complacency is the real enemy here, not VAR.

The real issue with VAR is the way it is going to affect the supporters' goal celebrations. I wasn't at the game yesterday, but was at the Champion's League home game against Spurs and the West Ham match last week. You feel a complete donut when you've danced around celebrating and then, 5 mins later, the goal is chalked off. And it also leaves you open to humiliation from the opposing fans. I'm going to Bournemouth next Sunday and already I'm thinking what to do when City score: should I risk it and celebrate as normal, or do I hold back my emotion until the all clear is given from a bunker 100 miles away? Either way, I can't help but think that, over the course of this season, something vital and spontaneous is going being drained from football.
I get where you’re coming from Simon, but Jesus Christ there’s a multitude of ridiculous decisions against City that go back years and years. Like most others on here I watch other games too and I really cannot pick another team that regularly gets the nonsensical decisions that go against City. The world may not be against us but there’s something not quite right. I genuinely feel that.

the ball came off laporte and went straight to GJ hence it was disallowed because ball changed diretion and went to GJ and he socred....its deemed as a pass

is th rule wrong - yes, but by the rule in its present form its the correct decision.

Ok so if you are saying its the correct decision then what about the fact Laporte has his arm pulled seconds before ! And the ball hits him because of this ?

Who’s being selective now

Id be pissed off if that was given as a penalty for anyone.....there is no way that contact means the player falls over...its the stuff that Salah does all the time and we all hate so no way i want a penalty for that

now the first on rodri is definitely a penalty in my eyes

you're pissing me off with anything you say since yesterday though.

As this is a post game discussion I thought I’d talk about the game not VAR.

1. I thought some of our football was excellent. If we play like that this season we have nothing to worry about.

2. KdB gets the plaudits rightly for his delivery but what a deadly and delicate finish by Serge.

3. Loved Bernie’s close control cameo - maybe a big claim but I think he’s got the most sublime control of any City player I have ever seen (ie since the early 70s)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.