Var debate 2019/20

a lot of comments in support of VAR in the other forums and social media platforms, seem to be coming from fans whose team have not yet been thoroughly fucked over by VAR. i look forward to the national outpouring of angst from littlewoods or utd fans if they ever get a decision like the 3 we have already experienced. i can see pigmol having a 'moment of clarity' and relax the VAR operators itchy trigger finger somewhat.

Wont happen as if reviewed it would not be seen.

McPhil quoted earlier that it was impossible to fall backward when running forward something that has also puzzled me a long time. I have never seen an athlete running to the finishing line and falling go anything but forward but Salah especially manages to fall backwards.

If only Salah's ability to do this could be incorporated into vehicle safety technology - no need for seats belts or air bags to prevent the forward motion on a crash. The man is a walking miracle - or a bloody cheat more like.

McPhil quoted earlier that it was impossible to fall backward when running forward something that has also puzzled me a long time. I have never seen an athlete running to the finishing line and falling go anything but forward but Salah especially manages to fall backwards.

If only Salah's ability to do this could be incorporated into vehicle safety technology - no need for seats belts or air bags to prevent the forward motion on a crash. The man is a walking miracle - or a bloody cheat more like.

He will get the most penalties this season, as with VAR a hand on him will be classed as a clear foul.

Perfect example of it ruining another moment for fans last night.

Wolves fans should have been bouncing after that screamer, liked the 'fuck VAR' chants though.

Instead they're stood around whilst some guy sat on his arse decides whether the guy on the byline is millimetres offside.

Let goals go back to being judged on the pitch! Leave red cards and pens to VAR if we have to have it.
That to me would be a good compromise, unfortunately nothing is going to change this season. VAR was supposedly brought in to spot clear and obvious mistakes, ie someone who’s a foot offside and not a millimetre, not to ruin celebrations and great goals. It seems all the rule changes, especially the hand ball rule have brought in specifically for VAR. The more celebrations are cut due to VAR the more the clamour to get rid of it. The Germans already want it gone after one season.

VAR seems to be about getting more gigs for refs on TV and radio. No wonder they are VAR disciples.
True but it’s making them look really pedantic and petty. Like in yesterday’s ask the ref programme on sky, or whatever it’s called, Stephen Warnock, who is obviously in the Liverpool camp, saying to Dermot Gallagher, “really you didn’t think that was a penalty “ the amazement on his face at his bundling answers, and that he was clearly trying to cover for Michael Oliver, said a thousand words without saying anything.

When I am most paranoid about cheating this is what I think....

If refs/PGMOL were open to cheating - the way they WOULDN'T do it was by giving a favored team a large number of penalties or free kicks or anything that shows up in the statistics to show bias exists. The way to do it was by NOT giving decisions. Things not awarded are not a statistic, no one looks at how many times (For example) Jon Moss doesnt give a penalty to opposition teams at OT, or doesn't issue a red card, or doesn't send a United player off when he should have.

My belief was that VAR would do away with that, but from what I am seeing it is being used the same way, IE incidents not going to VAR, not awarding penalties, ignoring incidents, 50/50's

For my own state of mind I am looking at the things that are ignored this year, and so far City have had 3 things ignored :
1 - Penalty claim for Rodri (Spurs)
2 - Penalty claim Laporte (Spurs)
3 - Sterling 1st goal last week (50/50) (I dont believe something can be measured to the mm in those situations - It's still judgement)

We have had 2 favourable decisions from VAR:
1 - Sterling 2nd goal last week (50/50)
2 - Aguero's retaken penalty

I want to see as the season goes on if we continue to get these, because now we have VAR it should NEVER happen, no excuse like there was before with just the referee being responsible! And if it does happen then I think it is clear they are taking the piss.

That to me would be a good compromise, unfortunately nothing is going to change this season. VAR was supposedly brought in to spot clear and obvious mistakes, ie someone who’s a foot offside and not a millimetre, not to ruin celebrations and great goals. It seems all the rule changes, especially the hand ball rule have brought in specifically for VAR. The more celebrations are cut due to VAR the more the clamour to get rid of it. The Germans already want it gone after one season.
Hoping this is right.

I never liked the idea of checking every goal. It might seem odd because that sounds like the right thing to do, but it is this that is the problem. It's bad enough that my first instinct is to check the linesman every time we score these days, but at least that's only a slight delay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.