Running thread

In the grip of a 5 week chronic sciatica attack and haven't been able to walk, never mind run.

Completely and utterly fucking depressed with it all and another trip to the doctors in an hours time will leave me non the wiser about what i can do to stop it.
Is it a herniated disc or Piriformis Syndrome?

If it’s PS, get yourself booked in for a proper sports massage and they’ll dig their elbows in and release the tension in the bum where the muscles are pushing on the sciatic nerve. You’ll feel like a new man.

Is it a herniated disc or Piriformis Syndrome?

If it’s PS, get yourself booked in for a proper sports massage and they’ll dig their elbows in and release the tension in the bum where the muscles are pushing on the sciatic nerve. You’ll feel like a new man.

Just back now and the thinking is herniated disc. I've visited a remedial massager i have used before last week and it did nothing, in fact I'm worse now than before.

Been put on amytryptaline (sp) to go with the Diazepam i was given the last visit.

Bloods taken to ensure no bone disease or prostrate issues as they can sometimes have an effect he says and if they come back clear and it hasn't improved in the next 2 weeks im off for an MRI. So facing another 2 weeks of no work, no money and no running to keep it on topic.

Thoroughly depressed with it all.

Just back now and the thinking is herniated disc. I've visited a remedial massager i have used before last week and it did nothing, in fact I'm worse now than before.

Been put on amytryptaline (sp) to go with the Diazepam i was given the last visit.

Bloods taken to ensure no bone disease or prostrate issues as they can sometimes have an effect he says and if they come back clear and it hasn't improved in the next 2 weeks im off for an MRI. So facing another 2 weeks of no work, no money and no running to keep it on topic.

When you’re an active person and you have an injury it can lead to literal depression. It’s frustrating isn’t it?

Hello Bluemoon runners. I hope you're all having an active summer. Let's all make the most of the remains of the good weather.

I'm in Tobermory, on the Isle of Mull, Scotland this week, and I've managed to get out each day, completing 10k, 10k, 5k, 7k, and today 12k. I have to say, running around a beautiful lake at a gentle pace, at 8am as the sun is just appearing through the trees, with just the wildlife keeping me company, listening to Morning from Greig's Peer Gynt suite, is my idea of bliss.

Edit. There is a lake just off the map after 3.
a7adc772bf053e11c2d03d7c19d75501.jpg

I have been steadily increasing distance in preparation for a half marathon, and have managed to get up to 10k, with the aim of increasing 1km every week. I have only been able to do 2 runs a week, 5k and then a longer distance at the weekend. I would like to be able to run more, lets say 4-5k every Tuesday and Thursday, with a longer run at the weekend, but have been struggling with recovery in between runs. My Achilles have been painful, and possibly suffering from tendonitis, which makes it impossible to stay consistent with a training plan.

Has anyone else suffered from this and have any advice for recovery and prevention in the future? I have been advised to do eccentric heel drops twice a day, which should cause microtrauma which in turn increases collagen deposition to aid repair.

Is it worth my while to get my running gait checked, can a change in trainers make a difference?

I've had Achilles tendonitis a few times, always when playing football. On each occasion I cured it by buying new football trainers. The cushion in the heels of the old ones had collapsed. Are you running on old trainers?

I've had Achilles tendonitis a few times, always when playing football. On each occasion I cured it by buying new football trainers. The cushion in the heels of the old ones had collapsed. Are you running on old trainers?

No, purchased new trainers 3 months ago specifically for this half marathon training

The problem with back related stuff is you get stuck in the vicious circle of lie or sitting down all the time which makes it worse. Walking (uncomfortable pace like you are late for something) sorts me out more than rest, stretching or drugs, but no two backs are the same :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.